PDA

View Full Version : Redi-mod and SBR engraving

orionz06
10-17-10, 08:31
I am getting ready to send a lower away for engraving but I have a question about the BFG Redi-Mod. If I cover the engraving with a temporary item, it is legal?

Hmac
10-17-10, 08:47
It has to be readily visible without disassembling the rifle in any way. IIRC, that includes engraving in the mag well such that it can only be seen by removing the magazine.

It's surprising how small 1/16th inch is.

Robb Jensen
10-17-10, 09:17
If you're worried about it have it engraved above the trigger/hammer pins or on the underside of the receiver on either side of the trigger opening.

markm
10-17-10, 10:47
It's not an issue in the real world. Engraving is only monumentally critical on internut gun forums.

I've had SBRs taken by my local PD in a mix up that involved no criminal activity on my part. The didn't even care to see my documents when I picked up the guns.... let alone engraving.

Hmac
10-17-10, 11:01
I suspect that many or most police officers have little understanding of NFA and its implications. One possible exception might be officers in states where statute says NFA items are legal only if ATF-registered. Those officers might be tuned in and obligated to ask, whereas if no local statute, local PDs would be trying to enforce Federal law.

Otherwise, I agree. Unless you live on the Mexican border, hard to imagine the BATF out on patrol checking engraving of SBRs. Even so, engraving is no big deal. Practically invisible, $45, and can be done well within the time frame waiting for ATF approval.

markm
10-17-10, 11:05
I suspect that many or most police officers have little understanding of NFA and its implications.

Yeah. It's hit and miss. Some cops know it well from their own guns, and some aren't versed very well at all.

orionz06
10-17-10, 21:07
If you're worried about it have it engraved above the trigger/hammer pins or on the underside of the receiver on either side of the trigger opening.

My text is too long to put it under the trigger guard.

XXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXX
Pittsburgh, PA

Unless you know someone who will engrave it there.

Lawdog-1
10-17-10, 22:42
I shorten my first and middel name by using their initial's and my full last name and Jr.

kry226
10-18-10, 07:13
My text is too long to put it under the trigger guard.

XXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXX
Pittsburgh, PA

Unless you know someone who will engrave it there.

If done properly, I think you'll barely notice if engraved on the side of the receiver above the pins like gotm4 referred to above. No issues or distractions with my engraving in the same place.