PDA

View Full Version : And now for something a little different! - Leupold DeltaPoint

wileecoyote
10-17-10, 17:40
Leupold DeltaPoint Mini Red Dot Reflex sight.
http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/deltapoint-reflex-sights/deltapoint-reflex-sight/

Anyone used one of these on an AR?

I've been looking for a good red dot sight that fits with how my eyes work. I seem to have an easier time with the glass window type sights vs Aimpoint-type tube sights. I picked up an Eotech XPS that was really nice but it is HUGE and heavy. I liked the window but it seemed so bulky with a large shroud to just put up that red dot on a little window. I'm not knocking it, I think it was great and good for mil use but for me I was looking for something smaller and lighter, think Aimpoint Micro meets Eotech.

So next up I looked at the J-Point\RMR\Docter\mRDS but they all had some detraction. Either really really small, had giant MOA dots, or something else. The Leupold though has a wider window that's just as tall if not taller, self dimming and a 3.5 MOA dot and really light weight.

The pistol guys are using them with apparent good effect over here:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=61479
I figured if it can stand up to the beating it would receive gettting slammed around on a .45 slide then it should be fine on my mid-length 16" AR.

I'd like to see what the mounting base looks like to see what I could use to get it up off the rail so I can get the irons in the lower 3rd of the window. Anyone know if something like the Trijicon bases would work? I just want to run it like guys are running their T1 Micros.

Buck
10-17-10, 17:57
Take a look at this product===> http://www.rapidreticle.com/sopscauto.htm

I believe it may be what you are looking for...

B

wileecoyote
10-17-10, 18:25
I forgot about that one - looks very similar to the others I mentioned.

Not bad, but I'd prefer a smaller MOA dot and a slightly wider window and constant on LED. I was trying to find the sight with the biggest window that I could.

jp0319
10-17-10, 18:51
From the research I have done I like the mRDS of the ones you listed, it has a 3.5 moa dot available, is ruggedized, available in two colors, it has auto and manual brightness adjustment, and ADM makes a QD mount for it.

Things I would want to know about the Leupold; does anyone make a AR specific mount for it, what is the actual battery life in hours?

It looks fine, on par with the other mini halo type sights.

wileecoyote
10-17-10, 20:45
That was my second choice but it's more ruggedized which I like. Any idea what the size of the mRDS window is? I can't seem to find specs for it anywhere.

jp0319
10-18-10, 14:33
That was my second choice but it's more ruggedized which I like. Any idea what the size of the mRDS window is? I can't seem to find specs for it anywhere.

No I have looked too but with a both eyes open optic size doesn't really matter. Take the Aimpoint T-1 vs an ML3 same point here the few centemeters difference in window size is really moot. If we were talking FOV of a magnified optic that would be different.