PDA

View Full Version : Keep P30 or get M&P?

espnazi
10-17-10, 18:17
So I have a P30 and I cant seem to shoot it as well as my CZs.
I have the var 1(DA/SA) with factory sights.

Should I change the sights and see if that helps?

Change the trigger?

or do I need more trigger time(only about 500rnds)?

I really want to be able to shoot this as well as my other guns(love the ergos), but I'm just leaning towards getting a M&P9 with an apex sear and be done with it.

I may mention I have not shot a M&P9 and have no access to one, although I did shoot a stock M&P40 about a year ago. Cant remember much about what it felt like.

C4IGrant
10-17-10, 18:35

Change the trigger?

I really want to be able to shoot this as well as my other guns(love the ergos), but I'm just leaning towards getting a M&P9 with an apex sear and be done with it

I may mention I have not shot a M&P9 and have no access to one, although I did shoot a stock M&P40 about a year ago. Cant remember much about what it felt like.

The P30 is an excellent gun. With that said, it takes a lot of practice to shoot a DA/SA well. So give it some more time and get into a training class where the instructor focuses on accuracy (Vickers or Hackathorn).

C4

loupav
10-17-10, 21:06
Keep the P30 and give it some more trigger time. What makes you think that the M&P is NOT going to yield the same results?

Change the sights (because the factory sights really do suck) and get some dry practice in.

You'll thank me later.

espnazi
10-17-10, 21:30
Will do, I was just getting frustrated on not being able to hit the steel. lol

Sight option(heinie)?

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-17-10, 21:51
Keep the P30. You really can't improve on it. If you want to convert it to LEM you can.

Get the Heinie sights.

milosz
10-17-10, 22:47
Bill Springfield did a great job of making my father's P30L trigger more manageable. It's still a heavier DA pull than a stock Sig (my only DA point of reference), but better.

GermanSynergy
10-17-10, 22:49
Keep the P30 and enroll in a handgun course run by a reputable firm/instructor, coupled with dry fire practice. Good luck. :)

montrala
10-18-10, 06:31
So I have a P30 ...

V1 is more like LEM trigger. SA/DA is designated V3. Are you sure you have V1?

Anyway, with my first HK (P2000 with LEM) it was love for first 50 rounds, hate for following 1450 rounds then love again :sarcastic:

Give it a little more trigger time. Getting good handgun course with it is also good idea.

BTW In my hands M&P is second best feeling handgun. Second only to P30 ;) So if you will finally really decide that P30 is not for you, then from ergonomic point of view M&P is not bad choice. Can't speak of M&P reliability - ones sold in Poland had terrible track of quality and reliability issues, but it can be different in US.

MichaelD
10-18-10, 08:41
Being an M&P fanboy, I'd love to say 'get an M&P', but the best answer in this case is just to keep the P30 and keep practicing. Try to get into a good class, as has been suggested above; you'll get it eventually. If worse comes to worse you could always have the thing converted to H&K's DAO trigger for the P30.

Kchen986
10-18-10, 08:53
The P30 is a great pistol. It's actually what prompted me to buy an Hk45C and USP45F. The only reason I don't have a P30 yet is because they have not come out with a P30S yet (IIRC, saw only P30LS, and I can't afford it right now).

I'd keep training on the P30. With proper instruction, you'll find it is more than adequate. :)

Ironbutt
10-18-10, 09:11
I'd keep the P30 & get some more trigger time. I bought a new P30 v3 2 weeks ago. After a good cleaning & re-lube, I took it to the range.

At 10 yards, the first 30 rounds were spread all over an 8X11" target. I don't know if it was the different trigger feel, or the ergonomics of the gun, but I was disappointed, to say the least.

After that, either me or the gun started to settle in & the groups tightened up to under 2" per mag. I still need a couple hundred more rounds thru it before I consider using it for a carry gun, but it just may replace my Sig 220 as the favorite, (For a while ;>)

John_Wayne777
10-18-10, 09:20
I would seriously consider having an LEM conversion done on your pistol. As a DA/SA gun I'm not terribly fond of the P30...to be honest I'm not much of a fan of DA/SA guns at all...but as an LEM equipped gun I like it so much that I bought two. Properly configured the LEM trigger is quite good and is certainly no impediment to speed, at least not to someone at my skill level.

An LEM conversion is probably going to be significantly cheaper than purchasing a new M&P.

Skyyr
10-18-10, 09:56

Change the trigger?

I really want to be able to shoot this as well as my other guns(love the ergos), but I'm just leaning towards getting a M&P9 with an apex sear and be done with it.

Out of the box, the P30 is one of the most accurate pistols you can buy. Unless you have a defective pistol, converting over to an M&P will not result in better shooting/groups (in fact your groups will probably widen), just different ergonomics. I'd say the culprit is lack of trigger time with that pistol or a poor technique that's being exacerbated by the design of the P30.

Keep the P30.

OldGreg
10-18-10, 10:30
I had 3 CZ's at one point recently, because they were so comfortable to hold (they fit so good in MY hand). I really got bit by the M&P bug, thanks to the guys on this forum, so i rented one at my shooting range. It shot really soft, but i did not like the grip at all. To me feels like it has very square shoulders up under the beaver tail. So, i was telling myself it's a great pistol, would love to get one someday, and hopefully i could conform to the uncomfortable grip.

Then shortly after that i got the urge to grab onto a P30 at the gun store, and wow.. it felt even better to my hands than my CZ's! So, after a trade and some cash, the P30 is mine.

P30 is great, but (for some reason) i still had the bug for an M&P, so i borrowed a friend of mines 5" M&P Pro last week. Hate the grip.. still. I really want to like it, but i just can't get on board.

My advise is to keep the P30 until you can grab onto an M&P.

Magsz
10-18-10, 14:13
Greg,

You're one of the first people ive ever heard call the M&P grip uncomfortable.

While i disagree with your statement that the grip is uncomfortable i do agree that there needs to be a little more contouring done to the underside of the beavertail as it could be rounder.

OldGreg
10-18-10, 15:17
Greg,

You're one of the first people ive ever heard call the M&P grip uncomfortable.

While i disagree with your statement that the grip is uncomfortable i do agree that there needs to be a little more contouring done to the underside of the beavertail as it could be rounder.

I know.. i've never come across anyone else saying that either, but at least you know what i'm sort of referring to. It sucks that my (tiny) hand doesn't like holding one. I really want a pistol to tinker with.. and it comes down to an M&P or Glock. I love so many things about the M&P though, i guess i'm still wrestling with what i want.

Magsz
10-18-10, 15:24
Greg,

The beavertail can be smoothed out by someone that works on plastic pistolas if you're so inclined. I wouldnt pass up on the M&P because of a small sharp edge. You will either build a callous or you will have it removed.

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/3155/mppro1of1.jpg

Edited to keep this a bit on topic. Keep the P30 but consider having it converted to an LEM trigger setup. The ergonomics on the P30 are fantastic, its just the DA/SA trigger that leaves alot to be desired.

You could even take it one step further to have the gun converted to LEM and then sent out to Bruce Gray for a trigger job.

lloydkristmas
10-18-10, 16:07
Both are fine weapons, but I would keep the HK.

EVERY single person that I have known who was new to HK pistols had a hard time shooting them well until they got used to the weapon. Including myself. They arent known for their stellar triggers, but once you get it down, its one of the most accurate handguns available. When I first got my USP, I shot shotgun-like groups, after a couple thousand rounds of practice, I now shoot it more accurately than any other pistol I own.

Keep the P30. Not only does it have better resale value, its also (in my opinion) a better weapon. Both MP pistols I have shot experienced malfunctions.

OldGreg
10-18-10, 16:14
Much appreciated Magz, genuinly.

I don't want to turn this thread into me & my weirdness though (i def. know i'm in the minority on my experience w/ the M&P anyways, lol)

I thought i'd throw my 1/2 cent of advice espnazi's way, since reading he has CZ's & a P30, like me. I will say that i look forward to getting to know my new-to-me HK very intimately. :cool:

badness
10-18-10, 16:21
i've got both the p30 v3 9mm and m&p9. Although mine does not have an Apex sear.

Personally, if comparing a stock p30 to a stock m&p9, i'd keep the p30. Love the ergonomics and the da/sa trigger. One of the finest handguns I own.

I hear so many good things about the Apex sear i might have to go out and get one installed on my m&p9 though. Who knows, maybe my opinion will change after that.

Sorry can't be more help.

montrala
10-19-10, 07:01
I think that 80% of P30 "greatness" come from Nill Griffe (Nill Grips) designed grip. This is only pistol I tried that even dreaded finger grooves on front strap feels just right! Rest comes from sum of small improovements over P2000 (mag release, front serrations on slide, sights, rail, higher mag capacity).

But seem like HKs decision to contract Nill Grips to design grip for new pistol was right on target.

kwelz
10-19-10, 08:18
I have both.
My M&P9 is my training gun and I picked up the P30L thinking it may be a replacement. So far I just cant' bring myself to do it. While the P30 is a nice gun I don't feel it offers anything over the M&P, especially at double the cost.

If I had to purchase one now it would still be the M&P. If I had the P30 first I can see the desire to keep it but you can also sell it for double the cost of a new M&P. That extra money buys a lot of training and/or ammo.

chilic82
10-19-10, 19:07
I have both.
My M&P9 is my training gun and I picked up the P30L thinking it may be a replacement. So far I just cant' bring myself to do it. While the P30 is a nice gun I don't feel it offers anything over the M&P, especially at double the cost.

If I had to purchase one now it would still be the M&P. If I had the P30 first I can see the desire to keep it but you can also sell it for double the cost of a new M&P. That extra money buys a lot of training and/or ammo.

Agreed. I sold my P30, got a new m&p9, 5 mags, Trijicon NS, and had $150 left over for ammo, light, etc. I also prefer the M&P trigger,bore axis, ease of dissasembly, to the P30. For $800 HK could do a better job on their triggers.

m39nut
10-19-10, 19:44
I have an M&P and I love it but I would probably give the P30 a little more time to see if you can get used to it. Also, if the CZ is doing better for you than the P30 why not carry it, especially if it is a smaller one like a P01 or compact. I used my P01 for carry until I got my M&P 40.

espnazi
10-19-10, 20:07
I decided I will keep the P30, but also get a M&P 9 after I get good with the P30.

As for the CZ's I shoot them better since the 85 I have is already broken in, and the one I shoot the best is a CZ 75 SA Target from CZ custom(the trigger is just awesome).

An Undocumented Worker
10-19-10, 20:50
I would seriously consider having an LEM conversion done on your pistol. As a DA/SA gun I'm not terribly fond of the P30...to be honest I'm not much of a fan of DA/SA guns at all...but as an LEM equipped gun I like it so much that I bought two. Properly configured the LEM trigger is quite good and is certainly no impediment to speed, at least not to someone at my skill level.

An LEM conversion is probably going to be significantly cheaper than purchasing a new M&P.

Why bother going to the LEM trigger, he already basically stated that he shoots CZ's well which are DA/SA, so it reasons that he should be able to shoot HK's DA/SA trigger well also.

Going to the LEM would be learning a whole new trigger setup.

Get some sights you are comfortable with and shoot some more and see how it does.

An Undocumented Worker
10-19-10, 20:54
I decided I will keep the P30, but also get a M&P 9 after I get good with the P30.

As for the CZ's I shoot them better since the 85 I have is already broken in, and the one I shoot the best is a CZ 75 SA Target from CZ custom(the trigger is just awesome).

Oh so your running the Comp hammer with Angus' trigger work, yeah just keep practicing with the HK.

BTW what kind of groupings are you getting from the 75 target at 25 yrds?

espnazi
10-19-10, 22:51
BTW what kind of groupings are you getting from the 75 target at 25 yrds?

I mostly shoot steal, but have shot paper with it a couple of times I would venture to say 2-3" (with a competent shooter or me taking my time really lontime).

I need to stop buying so many gun and get in some serious training.:p

John_Wayne777
10-20-10, 06:51
Why bother going to the LEM trigger, he already basically stated that he shoots CZ's well which are DA/SA, so it reasons that he should be able to shoot HK's DA/SA trigger well also.

...because I've tried H&K DA/SA triggers and they generally suck whereas the LEM trigger does not suck.

CQC.45
10-20-10, 07:59
...because I've tried H&K DA/SA triggers and they generally suck whereas the LEM trigger does not suck.

+1

All DA/SA triggers are not equal. I would go LEM

Swamp Yankee
10-20-10, 11:43
I had an H&K P30 that I got for a heck of deal at a local shop, but it turned out to be more of an impulse buy for me. After shooting it multiple times, I was still not head over heals in love with it. The fact that it was so expensive outright and still required several modifications to suit my tastes really turned me off.

Things I did Not Like About the P30:

1.) Trigger-I could shoot accurately with it in DA or SA, but still it was a pretty awful experience.

2.) Sights-Stupid Design. Did not stay charged and were difficult for my eyes to adjust to.

3.) Grip-Was very comfortable compared to other handguns, but I could not find a panel configuration that worked perfectly for me.

4.) Play/Creep of Certain Components-I did not like the amount of flex in the trigger, the play in the right side slide release lever, or the flex of the grip panels.

In the end I ended up turning the gun after only a month or two of ownership. I am sticking to 1911's and Striker fired guns from now on. What really surprised me was seeing the gun sitting on the shelf in the gun store when I left and not feeling any remorse or sorrow as I walked out the door. Its a great platform, it just did not work well for me. H&K is a great company and I really respect their design philosophy, but prefer other pistols. YMMV.

*FIRST POST! :D*

JohnN
10-20-10, 14:28
Got the opportunity this weekend to try Todd Green's HK45 (LEM) and a fellow students P30L (SA/DA). While I can see the appeal to many due to ergonomics at this point in time I will stick to my M&P9 FS.

There is absolutely no doubt that the HK's are built better and have a quality feel to them. All things considered, for me, the low cost of mags, increasing number of quality aftermarket parts, holster availability are very positive factors in the M&P's favor.