PDA

View Full Version : Federal XM193BK - $279/1000 rnds at gunshow - any chronograph data?

DHart
10-17-10, 20:34
I have a new AR coming next week (my first) and wanted to pick up some lower cost ammo for practice/training. I found some Federal XM193BK at the gun show for $279 per 1000 rounds which seems a little better than internet pricing, so I bagged 2k rnds of it.

I've been searching this forum and the internet for a couple of hours trying to learn more about this loading.

From what I've found, it seems that it is "similar" to M193, except that it doesn't meet certain specific mil-spec criteria of (sealed, crimped bullet, accuracy, velocity spec, etc.). But even so, if the bullet is a BT design, has the same composition as the mil-spec bullet, and a similar velocity (over 3k anyway), that it would probably be a good, even if not the best, defense loading at closer ranges.

The cases I have are marked L C at "10" and "2 o'clock" positions on the case head and 1 0 at "8" and ""4 o'clock" positions. Perhaps this indicates Lake City 2010 manufacture?

Has anyone here personally chronographed XM193BK? If so, what velocities are you seeing?

I'm curious if this stuff would yield reasonably effective terminal ballistics for defense use at close range distances, i.e., yaw and heavily fragment in human threats. (I would think it would if velocities are 3k or better).

Of course there are certainly better loadings for defense use (using 75gr and 77gr Sierra & Nosler BTHP bullets), but was curious how effective this inexpensive loading would be at close and near distances.

Does it seem likely that XM193BK would perform reasonably well for defense use?

Jake'sDad
10-17-10, 21:23
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26905

DHart
10-17-10, 22:02
Wow... very interesting. Just looking at a .223 bullet, it certainly seems that yaw and fragmentation is about all this caliber can really hang it's hat on as a seriously effective defense tool. If that can't really be counted on for the most part, what have we then? Fancy .22s.

This seems perhaps somewhat in contrast to some of the data on the M193 presented in the Ammo Oracle on TOS. Or does it... I need more study, obviously.

So the higher weight 75gr and 77gr (Sierra, Nosler, Hornady) BTHP bullets can pretty much be counted on to yaw and fragment, much more shallowly, in human tissue? (Assuming a barrel with a quick enough spin.)

Is that improvement a function of greater length, greater weight, the HP tip? Probably all combined?

The size of the HP hole on the BTHP bullets is so tiny... do these bullets mushroom similarly to what a pistol caliber JHP does? Or do they only start to mushroom, then yaw and disintegrate? It must be the HP that helps upset the linearity at first impact, tending to initiate yaw much more quickly, but not really getting to the point of much mushrooming.

Interesting to know that the M193 is only marginally better than defending oneself with a .22!

Jake'sDad
10-17-10, 22:06
You'll probably get more info in the Terminal Ballistic section where Doc hangs out.

DHart
10-17-10, 22:23
Good suggestion... I will do that. I'm just beginning to get to know this awesome forum. Thanks.

markm
10-18-10, 20:51
The last XM193 I chrono'd was in excess of 3300 fps out of a 20 inch hbar. I won't buy XM193 anymore.

DHart
10-18-10, 21:09
The last XM193 I chrono'd was in excess of 3300 fps out of a 20 inch hbar. I won't buy XM193 anymore.

Mark... is that decision because you would prefer lower velocity? I don't understand what it is that you don't like about the XM193. (Perhaps a dumb question, but I'm trying to get "schooled up" on ARs). I thought it was a pretty good deal for practice/training rounds with decent re-useable brass.

What do you like for plinking, practice loads?