PDA

View Full Version : Trying to choose an Aimpoint - some advice needed

greywolf2112
07-22-07, 08:58
OK, I've used a lot of different optics over the years, though I'm by no means someone who shoots all the time or has a lot of experience. Mostly I've used magnified optics, but in the past 5 years have used an EOTECH, OKO, Reflex, and numerous Aimpoint clones (like the Hakko and the even cheaper knock-offs.)

I like the Eotech, but the graininess of the reticle and large 65 MOA circle can sometimes get in the way. Plus the battery life is an issue.

I'm about to get a 3rd Gen Night vision monocular (GT-14 probably) and want to use it in conjunction with a red dot with NV capabilities. I'm also interested in having the ability to use a 3x or 4x magnifier.

Could you all recommend an Aimpoint model that would fulfill this need, mounted on either my 9mm AR SBR (8.5" barrel), 16" M-4rgery, and/or my 10/22 Pocket Rifle (5.5" barrel, suppressed).

I've seen the new Comp M4 2MOA which appears to be very nice, integrated mount, LONG battery life, and extra NV settings, but wow - $630+ dollars is a bit. Would the Comp M3 be a better value for me, or am I going to be looking at close to the same cost once I get a good mount, and am I going to be losing anything with the NV settings not being as good on the M3 when used with a 3rd Gen NV device?

Thanks!

PS - quick question on NV if you know the answer - is there anything that keeps you from being blinded while using NV (Bloom?) when you fire your weapon? Special flash hiders, etc.? Or does the NV device itself compensate?

FJB
07-22-07, 11:29
Greywolf,
The CompM3 with 2MOA is an excellent optic that works very well with Gen3 NVs. Also, good Gen3 NVDs won't washout when shooting at night provided you are using good quality low flash ammo. A good flash suppressor like a Phantom or Vortec will also help. This is all based on real world experience in distant sandy location.

LaRue Tactical offers superb Optic & Mount combo packages. Make sure that you get their QD Cantilever Mount so that you'll have room on your rail for a 3X or the GT-14. CompM3+QD Cantilever Mount = $574

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Categories.bok?category=Optic+and+Mount+Combos

S/F

Robb Jensen
07-22-07, 12:31
I'd go with either an Aimpoint M3 w/LaRue mount, or an Aimpoint M4 (has it's own mount but LaRue is making one too). The new Aimpoint T1 w/tall LaRue mount would be great too. To keep from blooming the NV I would suggest either a Vortex FH or a sound suppressor.

C4IGrant
07-22-07, 13:54
We offer member discounts on Aimpoints. Drop us a line for our prices.

C4

greywolf2112
07-22-07, 14:26
Greywolf,
The CompM3 with 2MOA is an excellent optic that works very well with Gen3 NVs. Also, good Gen3 NVDs won't washout when shooting at night provided you are using good quality low flash ammo. A good flash suppressor like a Phantom or Vortec will also help. This is all based on real world experience in distant sandy location.

LaRue Tactical offers superb Optic & Mount combo packages. Make sure that you get their QD Cantilever Mount so that you'll have room on your rail for a 3X or the GT-14. CompM3+QD Cantilever Mount = $574

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Categories.bok?category=Optic+and+Mount+Combos

S/F

OK, so let me ask this: I want to make sure that my Troy BUIS co-witnesses properly with the Aimpoint, and that the 3x magnifier is properly aligned - I'd like to get one of those mounts for it that allow it to be flipped out of the way and back in place. Would the regular height mounts work for all that, as well as being properly aligned for use with a regular mount GT-14? Or would I need them all to be the higher-up mounts and go with the lower-third co-witness? I know you can get regular height mounts for the Aimpoint itself, but do the flip up mounts for the 3x magnifier, and do the mounts for the GT-14, come in "regular" height or are they all the higher-up heights?

Thanks for the advice, guys, and keep it coming.

PS - I do have suppressors for the AR-9mm and the Pocket Rifle, so I guess that solves that problem right there for them.

C4IGrant
07-22-07, 14:36
OK, so let me ask this: I want to make sure that my Troy BUIS co-witnesses properly with the Aimpoint, and that the 3x magnifier is properly aligned - I'd like to get one of those mounts for it that allow it to be flipped out of the way and back in place. Would the regular height mounts work for all that, as well as being properly aligned for use with a regular mount GT-14? Or would I need them all to be the higher-up mounts and go with the lower-third co-witness? I know you can get regular height mounts for the Aimpoint itself, but do the flip up mounts for the 3x magnifier, and do the mounts for the GT-14, come in "regular" height or are they all the higher-up heights?

Thanks for the advice, guys, and keep it coming.

PS - I do have suppressors for the AR-9mm and the Pocket Rifle, so I guess that solves that problem right there for them.

The setup I would run is the LT Cantilever mount (for the Aimpoint), LT 3X mount, LT PVS-14 mount (high), Troy front and rear and all line up and co-witness.

C4

FJB
07-22-07, 16:45
Grant's advice about mounts is on the money and his prices at G&R Tactical are very fair.

S/F

greywolf2112
07-22-07, 21:57
Something that I started to think about as I was considering reticles - the 2MOA reticle of an Aimpoint is awfully small, and with various light sources and "clutter" around objects of interest (read: targets) I thought that maybe the Eotech might have an advantage here due to its large reticle. The 2MOA dot of the Aimpoint could get lost in all the clutter.

I do like my Eotech, as does the spousal unit, and perhaps the whole battery life issue could be solved by just putting aside some extra batteries. Hell, I could probably buy a LOT of batteries for the difference in costs of an Aimpoint, eh?

I'll have to do some research on the 3x magnifier for the Eotech. I like the idea of having some extra magnification, as I don't want to spend another $3000 on a 4x or 6x NV scope. I'd rather my one GT-14 with either the 3x magnifier for it or the 3x magnifier for the Eotech could do double duty there.

I assume that using a 3x Eotech magnifier would really be no different under NV conditions as using a 3x NV (GT-14) magnifier?

Would any of you say that perhaps for NV use that the Eotech may have some advantages over the Aimpoint?

FJB
07-22-07, 23:49
First the size of 2 MOA in relation to the threat when viewed is a non-issue. The multiple brightness settings of the CompM3 and CompM4 allow you to adjust the brightness/size of the dot based on your needs.

The performance of the CompM4/M3 is optimized for use with all generations of night vision devices (NVDs), but is especially suited for 3rd generation night vision technology. Aimpoint’s unique band-pass coating on the front lens reflects select frequencies of red light at near 100% efficiency in order to give the highest possible dot brightness with the smallest amount of energy while transmitting nearly 100% of light in the Infrared and near-infrared part of the spectrum to provide the clearest, brightest image possible when used with a 3rd generation NVD.

Some things that needs to be considered when purchasing a combat optic that you’ll trust with your life is durability, reliability, simplicity, and life cycle costs. The intent is not to create a debate about which optic is the best but to compare life cycle costs of combat optics based on Apples and Apples as best possible, thus I used only the data provided by each manufacturer for their optics that are NVD compatible for military use, GRTactical retail price (where possible), as well as an approximate battery cost based on a Google search. I used 80,000 hours as that is life of a CompM4 constantly on at setting 7.

Aimpoint CompM4 w/3XMagnifier & Twist Mount MSR + Life Cycle Cost $1486
Life Cycle Cost - 80,000 Hours w/ AA Lithium Battery
CompM4 MSR $780 + 3X Magnifier MSR $535 + Twist Mount MSR $171
Weight - CompM4 335g + 3X Magnifier w/Twist Mount 300g = 635g

Aimpoint CompM3 w/LaRue Tactical QD Cantilever Mount + LaRue Tactical Mount w/3XMagnifier + Life Cycle Cost $1149
Life Cycle Cost - 50,000 Hours w/ one 1/3N Batteries X $3ea = $3
CompM3 w/LT QD Cantilever Mount $595 + 3X Magnifier w/ LT Pivot Mount $551
Weight - CompM3 w/ LT Mount 335g + 3X Magnifier w/LT Mount 300g = 635g

EOTech 552.A65 w/ 3X & Flip Mount MSR + Life Cycle Cost $1373
Life Cycle Cost – 1100 Hours AA Lithium Battery = 146 Batteries X $2.50 ea = $365
552.A65 MSR $479 + Life Cycle $365 + 3X w/ Flip Mount MSR $529
Weight – 552.A65 326g + 3X w/ Flip Mount 297g = 623g

EOTech 557.AR223 w/ 3X & Flip Mount MSR + Life Cycle Cost $1463Life Cycle Cost – 1100 Hours AA Lithium Battery = 146 Batteries X $2.50 ea = $365
557.AR223 MSR $569 + Life Cycle $365 + 3X w/ Flip Mount MSR $529
Weight – 557.AR223 326g + 3X w/ Flip Mount 297g = 623g

EOTech 552.A65 w/ 4X & Flip Mount MSR + Life Cycle Cost $1703
Life Cycle Cost – 1100 Hours AA Lithium Battery = 146 Batteries X $2.50 ea = $365
552.A65 MSR $479 + Life Cycle $365 + 4X w/ Flip Mount MSR $859
Weight – 552.A65 326g + 4X w/ Flip Mount 453g = 779g

EOTech 557.AR223 w/ 4X & Flip Mount MSR + Life Cycle Cost $1793
557.AR223 MSR $569 + Life Cycle $365 + 4X w/ Flip Mount MSR $859
Weight – 557.AR223 326g + 4X w/ Flip Mount 453g = 779g

S/F

Pat_Rogers
07-23-07, 12:24
Freddie- Nice!
Facts are essential in making an educated decision to purchase equipment.