PDA

View Full Version : How many AR's (guns) are enough...

BlueOvalFan
10-18-10, 03:16
Honestly I tried and used the search feature to no avail, so I have to ask...

How many AR's are enough, more importantly how many do you own?

I'm afraid to tell the wife what I've done over the course of my 3 months off on family leave. I wonder if she noticed the brand new 34 gun Liberty Lincoln Safe in the den? I tell you the internet is not your friend!

I have 1 completed AR-15 (RECON Type) and two other AR-15 in progress. Then two AR-10's in the works too right behind them. Those sit right next to two M1A's, then all my shotguns, hunting rifles and pistols.

devildogljb
10-18-10, 04:04
can never have too many why should you have to have only one, and i only own 1 right now planning a build soon

Col_Crocs
10-18-10, 04:06
This is very subjective. Really depends what you want and what you think you need them for. How practical or rational you want to be or dont want to be about it. You can keep it to a handful of usable ARs or you can add a few safe queens into the mix, a registered auto etc... Again, really depends how many you think is enough or atleast, you can safely own without the risk of the wife grabbing one and actually using it on you. :D

500grains
10-18-10, 04:22
How many AR's is enough, more importantly how many do you own?

1. 20 Bushmasters/DPMS is way too many, but 1 DD, BCM, Noveske, etc. is not enough.

2. Here is a rule of thumb for your wife to consider. Each family member capable of shooting needs their own AR. Further, the more avid shooters need:

a. CQB AR-15 with a close range optic such as Eotech or Aimpoint red dot.

b. Mid range AR-15 with an ACOG with ballistic reticle.

c. Precision AR-15 with a good quality variable scope such as Nighforce 2-10 (in Larue mounts of course).

d. A minimum of 5,000 rounds of "emergency use only" ammo for each AR-15.

e. A miniumum of 5,000 rounds of "practice ammo" for each AR-15 (so that you don't have to be bothered with going to the gun store all the time).

f. A backup for each of (a), (b) and (c).

g. An array of AR-10s for serve the purposes of (a), (b) and (c) as well.

h. Variations of (a), (b) and (c) in desert camo, snow camp, urban camo, foliage camo, swimming pool camo, etc.

i. An AK-47 in case we go communist.

j. A precision sniper rig.

etc.

RogueElephant
10-18-10, 05:48
Just got my first and already thinking about what comes next. As some wise person observed, "Nothing succeeds like excess!"

ucrt
10-18-10, 05:55

...Just one more... :)

usmcvet
10-18-10, 06:21
It is a question I've had many times and it helps me keep my ID under control. I have three. Two SBR's and a middlength. I would like many more but for now I am good. Until more bills are paid I am on hold. Several times a week I want to buy another but at this point ammo, magazines and trainig are more important for me now.

Think about it this way. If you had half an hour to pack and leave your house how many guns could you really take with you.

If you have extra money and can afford more go for it.

Complication
10-18-10, 06:31
X+1

Where X is the current number you own.

Iceberg
10-18-10, 06:43
Buy as many as you want & can store safely. AR15s sure take up a lot of room in a safe, almost twice the room of my Garands and bolt guns. That said, I guess I can always line the back of my garage w/ safes...lol.

kwelz
10-18-10, 07:11
One at sufficient velocity! Wakka Wakka!

Seriously though. There is no real cut and dry answer to this.

The number of ARs, or firearms in general, that you own doesn't matter. What is important is your ability to use them for their intended purpose.

If you own 10 ARs and can't use them properly then it is a waste. If you own a single AR and are proficient with it in all situations then that is all you will need.

At one point I owned 7 or 8 ARs. They were all useless to me. I didn't know how to use them and the quality of the rifles was questionable at best. I no longer have a single one of those guns. I currently have 2 (An SPR and a General gun) and 2 more on the way (SBR and .22). All are high quality and worth more than all the others I had before. But more importantly I have started to learn how to use them.

There are days when I open my safe and it feels empty. I have gone from 40+ guns to barely a Dozen. But those 12 or so guns are more useful than anything I have owned before.

bsmith_shoot
10-18-10, 07:45
I think you really "need" 3 AR's. I say you need a 14.5 or 16 inch carbine or mid-length, an SBR, and a SPR with 18 or 20 inch barrel. That should cover the basics, but I really get needs and wants confused.

Watrdawg
10-18-10, 07:59
I'm thinking like the above. A SBR, a 14.5 middy and a 18"- 20" SPR. Of course there's always room to talk yourself into more:D. I already have the 14.5" middy now I'm going to work on the SBR.

Alex V
10-18-10, 08:03
X+1

I believe this is the correct formula...

I just finished my first build so now I have 2 and am already thinking of a LW build for the GF... It will never stop.

Corse
10-18-10, 08:44
There are days when I open my safe and it feels empty. I have gone from 40+ guns to barely a Dozen. But those 12 or so guns are more useful than anything I have owned before.

How did you do it? I keep thinking I should trade/sell some of the ones I have so I can get something that might be more useful. I always come up with a reason not to get rid of the ones I have.

kwelz
10-18-10, 08:48
How did you do it? I keep thinking I should trade/sell some of the ones I have so I can get something that might be more useful. I always come up with a reason not to get rid of the ones I have.

I just forced myself to do it one day. I opened up my safes laid everything out on the ground and grabbed a notebook. Everything I had not shot in the last 2 months went on one list, the ones I had shot went on another.

I then broke those lists down by quality and reliability. Of those original guns I kept 4. A Ruger Mk2, a S&W MP9 an Old Enfield and a Mosin Nagant. Everything else got sold or traded.

I am not saying it was easy but I feel it was necessary. My collection was getting out of hand. Not because of the size but because of the uselessness of it.

120mm
10-18-10, 08:51
My goal is to limit myself to one lower with two uppers.

1 x BCM middy lightweight with BUIS, Aimpoint H-1 and a light for serious work.

1 x 6.5 Grendel with 10 x SS scope for punching paper at long distance.

However, I have a cheat in the system. My best friend and business partner lives in DC, and I will have to keep track of her AR for her, so that second one doesn't count... I think she will prolly need something mid-range....;)

ewells2420
10-18-10, 10:12
Honestly just one with replacement parts. So technically maybe 2-3 I could make full rifles from, but not assembled.

Actually make it two. My plan is 1 AR and 1 AR lower + http://www.tactilite.com/tactilite-t-1-single-shot-uppers/tactilite-t-1-ultralite/flypage.tpl.html

gigitty gigitty goo!

And maybe a handgun for good measure. I am no sniper but I always did pretty gun at the ranges back in the Army. I could normally get 36/40 and a few of those hits were the 300. And that was just with iron sights only. I figure if you are proficient enough with your riffle, its all you need.

The .50 is for a bunker buster lol.

gtmtnbiker98
10-18-10, 10:26
I now have two, one for just iron sights (6920) and one with a rail system for optics. That's it. I'm good with what I have.

usmcvet
10-18-10, 11:19
I did not have as many but went through a very similar process. I had the shit scared out of me when my Leukemia relapsed this summer after >5yrs of remission.

I looked at my guns and with a bit of a morbid thought process knew I would get more money for the guns than my wife would if she needed to sell them after I died. I had some really nice guns that I liked but just never shot. I sold one 16” BCM middy, a 30-06 pump, a few shotguns, a muzzle loader and a few pistols. All but the BCM are guns I’ve not really thought much about in years.

That left me with my LMT SBR and a 14.5” (pinned) middy LMT/BCM and a second BCM SBR in the works. The paper work was approved several weeks ago so I am back up to three AR’s. I still have a 12 gauge, .22 pistol, .22 rifle, and a few other pistols and rifles.

One at sufficient velocity! Wakka Wakka!

Seriously though. There is no real cut and dry answer to this.

The number of ARs, or firearms in general, that you own doesn't matter. What is important is your ability to use them for their intended purpose.

If you own 10 ARs and can't use them properly then it is a waste. If you own a single AR and are proficient with it in all situations then that is all you will need.

At one point I owned 7 or 8 ARs. They were all useless to me. I didn't know how to use them and the quality of the rifles was questionable at best. I no longer have a single one of those guns. I currently have 2 (An SPR and a General gun) and 2 more on the way (SBR and .22). All are high quality and worth more than all the others I had before. But more importantly I have started to learn how to use them.

travistheone
10-18-10, 11:22
You only need one...

after another and another....

coyote hunter
10-18-10, 11:32
The correct amount is when you have satisfied every need you have. Once you can't use one of your guns for a certain activity, then fill the gap. Once you've run out of uses, you're probably good.

But that’s no reason to NOT get another

Most should stick to the X+1 formula!

Beat Trash
10-18-10, 11:33

...Just one more... :)

THIS...

I want an AR for every shooter in the household. I keep magazines and ammunition set aside for emergencies.

If you can afford to indulge your in addiction then enjoy. Add an SBR, a MK 12, what ever peaks your interest.

If you have to finance the next one with your high interest credit card, then I'd hold off.

ap1220
10-18-10, 12:50
Haha, I was just thinking about this very thing over the weekend. I agree with the number of three as that was what I came down with. My wife is all for CCW, but I just can't get her to to think about the whole SHTF scenario. Kiddos are all under 10 right now(and my son is just getting interested in shooting), and three would be enough for now.

It's like most things where you need to look at your whole situation(family members, financials, etc), and figure out what you need first and foremost. Everything after that is just a plus :D

jbsmwd
10-18-10, 13:05
Two is one. One is none.

Following that and it's just you, get two guns that way if one of them goes down you still have one as a backup. Now if you goto ban states/non-free states then get one in that configuratin. Get at least a CMMG 22 convertion for cheap training or a deicated (sp?) 22 upper. And one set up for SPR/coyete. Plus you will need one in 6.5/6.8 for hunting.

Then there is the .308 stuff maybe AR-10/SR-25 if you like the AR platform or get FAL/M14/HK91. Plus you will need a bolt gun in .308 for long range paper hole punch.

For day's when the squires are asking for it at least .22 rimfire rifle. I would recommend the good old Ruger 10/22 and it's little mate the Ruger Mk series of pistols. Find an old 22/45 not the 22/45 Mark III with the mag safety.

You will need magazines for all said guns and a small amount of ammo say 10,000 rounds

And this is not even talking about pistols or shotguns.:D

ehcarl2983
10-18-10, 13:17
This all just depends on your intended use.

But if we're talking about NEED, IMO, the answer would be two identical 14.5-16" rifles setup identically. With an additional optic, a RDS and a magnified optic on QD mounts.

Just my .02 worth....

jasonhgross
10-18-10, 13:32
Really? NEED: None.

Nice to have: two. One lightweight CQB type with RDS. Second with longer distance optic (read 1-4). With this configuration, the CQB is optimized for close, but can reach out further. The second is optimized for distance but can do close in very well. Together, this setup satisfies the two is one, one is none philosophy with nice overlap but maximizing both primary uses for the carbine.

motorwerks
10-18-10, 13:47
I have 5 and just bought my first .308 lower. :sarcastic:

I figure that gives everyone in the house one to shoot and 1 backup.... plus the .308.

Cameron
10-18-10, 13:49
I have 5 and just bought my first .308 lower. :sarcastic:

I figure that gives everyone in the house one to shoot and 1 backup.... plus the .308.

I like the way you think.

The premise is a little jacked up though, it is like asking;

How much horsepower is enough?
How much money is enough?
How much sex is enough?

There are some things in life you can never have enough of.

Cameron

mhanna91
10-18-10, 14:10
I believe that all a person really needs is 1 rifle, 1 shotgun, and 1 pistol. If they are all reliable and you know how to use them all, that should be enough. Anything more than that would suggest that you have an overactive id. Which I do.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-18-10, 16:39
Really? NEED: None.

Nice to have: two. One lightweight CQB type with RDS. Second with longer distance optic (read 1-4). With this configuration, the CQB is optimized for close, but can reach out further. The second is optimized for distance but can do close in very well. Together, this setup satisfies the two is one, one is none philosophy with nice overlap but maximizing both primary uses for the carbine.

+1, I also work along this train of though. I have a 16" AR that will be recieving a mid to close range scope. My next AR will be an 11.5" SBR with an Aimpoint.

Magic_Salad0892
10-18-10, 16:45
One for real world use.
One for practice.
One for backup.

Rule of three.

motorwerks
10-18-10, 18:18

Cameron what I forgot to mention is 2 of the people in the house, are Toddlers. :sarcastic:

LJNoobicon
10-18-10, 18:38
X+1

I believe this expresses it the best.

I myself used to have 5 AKs and 2 ARs now I have one quality version of, each(SLR-107CR and a BCM 14.5 Middy). I decided to devote more resources to quality parts, training, ammo, and spare parts. Though I find myself wanting a beater AK or SKS(basically a Jeep gun) and some sort of another quality AR(If BCM makes the dissapator or maybe a rifle length AR)

BWT
10-18-10, 19:27
I buy firearms to fill gaps, honestly, I don't know when I'll get enough.

As many as I can reasonably afford, as long as I never finance anything, and I save at the current rate (percentages contributed to 401k, savings, and as far as I can clear everything I'm paying for), there isn't a limit.

My Limit is when I can't afford it. Which I find with time you can afford just about anything, it's just how long are you willing to wait. ;)

Scotty
10-18-10, 19:58
I have just one 5.56, and a .22rf. Both S&W M&P's. I would love a 20 inch Larue OBR, or something of that nature. The USMC SAM-R looks badass too.

BillBond
10-18-10, 20:02
How many AR's are enough ?

:cool:

ra2bach
10-18-10, 20:22
well, I've got three teenage sons so how many do you think I need/have? :sarcastic:

Heidevolk
10-18-10, 20:27
I think about one new AR every couple months is about enough :-D

Suwannee Tim
10-18-10, 20:34
How many guns are enough? Enough so when you bring a new one home your wife doesn't notice. I think I have enough ARs now, I have had an itch for a 416 Rigby and I'm going to have to scratch it. I don't think they make ARs in 416 Rigby, at least not yet.

Bubba FAL
10-18-10, 20:39
For AR's, I've stopped at 4 - my Service Rifle match gun, a 5.56 carbine, 16" 6.8 light and 18" 6.8 heavy (which sometimes sees match duty). This is enough, for now anyway.

When it comes to firearms in general, I'm definitely in the x+1 category. Figure I'll stop buying/building them when I no longer appreciate the design elements or aesthetics of firearms (or I'm dead, whichever comes first). Except for shotguns, they just don't do much for me.

I have to admit that feeding a large number of guns in various calibers is becoming more of a challenge than it used to be. For that reason, I have considered weeding out some of the oddball stuff, but just haven't been able to bring myself to do it.

random clever name
10-18-10, 20:46
I currently have;

1 issued with 3 uppers(10.5" CQB, 14.5" general use and a 7.5" range toy that I didn't ask for but won't turn down)

1 SR15 16"
1 Noveske SPR upper on a SR15 lower 18"
1 Noveske Infidel 13.7"
1 Colt HBar 20"
1 LWRC M6A2 14.7"
1 S&W MP 15 22 16"
1 KAC SR 25 EMC
1 Noveske lower being built up for a SBR MK18 type
1 DPMS lower with a Tac Sol 22 upper
1 SR15 lower as a spare

I'm still looking at grabbing a KAC SR15 Magpul Dynamics and a BCM Middy.

That doesn't include my off topic H&K collection, pistols, shotguns, etc.

If I had to choose...... I would keep the KAC EMC for it's all around capabilities and then maybe my work CQB set up with it. I have to admit that the SPR set up I have with the night force and Trijicon is also quite an all around capable system. I don't need all of them and quite frankly I shoot my work set up the most. I have a steady supply of ammo and shoot over 1,000 rounds a month out of it alone. I really have no need to beat up my personal guns and shoot them in a much more recreational manner.

seb5
10-18-10, 21:35
I think all of us have asked and attempted to answer our question for ourselves. The reality is it has almost nothing to with needs and everything to do with wants. We tie in our wants to some weak justifications so we can get a new toy. Usually it has more to do with justifying the dollars spent vs. any perceived need.

I think for self defense a carbine can make great sense. Of course you can also play, hunt, shoot competitively, and on and on. The problem is that if we have our 1 need fulfilled we think, what happens if there's a burglary, or a fire, so we really need 2 or 3 just for the one. Then it goes from there. We need a good 16" self defense carbine, an SBR if legal, a precision rig, maybe a 14.5" pinned FH, add a lightweight, then maybe something very cool like a KAC. It ends up being whatever we can afford or justify. That's exactly what I ended up with.

And that's all OK because we are citizens, not subjects. Buy what you can afford.

glock19.com
10-18-10, 22:33
I had a over a dozen , but sold most of um off during the post election insanity
It was dumb they are tools not Hummel figurines

and honestly I had only shot 5 of them

a 6920 , a 6551, a 6530, 9mm rock river , and a recce wannabe RRA/BM frankengun I put together

and of that only shot 2 on a reg basis

the 6920 and the 9mm

If forced I'd keep the 6920 and the 6551
and be happy till I died

bkb0000
10-18-10, 23:07
i currently have 3.5.. i've had as many as 6 or 7, and been down to 1. they come and go.. i build them here and there, shoot the ones i like, sell the ones i don't, and eventually sell the ones i do like because i want something else. i've also sold a few for the money, in recent years.. mother ****ed up recession, and all.

how many is too many? why even ask? even if you don't get tired of one or some, you'll wear them out. if you're owning a bunch of ARs and haven't ever shot out a barrel, you probably need to start spending more on ammo than guns

m1a_scoutguy
10-18-10, 23:52
I have 3 at the moment,,one,14.5,,one,,16 incher & one 18 inch rifle,, kinda got all the bases covered. (Kinda,,LOL) I agree it boils down to what do you really NEED,,,I guess with the 3 above I'm kinda set,,but then my "WANT" kicks in and I'm thinking about the next one !! I think about a NM one,,but I have a NM M1a for Service Rifle Matches,,so I have swayed away from the NM AR,,,,I only shoot 1 or 2 a year so no real need for a Special AR for that. I am a bit older now & my "need" for the next gun has faded some,,I have leaned more toward Quality than Quantity,,so I have sold a few other items to get one Better one,,mostly Pistols right now,,,sold a couple lesser handguns to get a better one,,,,(Colt Combat Elite).:D I am working in the same direction with some of my rifles also. But we all know that no matter how hard you try and how much reasoning you put into something,,,sometimes ya just see something and dam,,,I GOTTA have that,,,,LOL,,it never ends !!! :) But in the end,,I would rather have 1 AR & 5k+++ of Ammo,,than 10 AR's and 1K of AMMO,,if ya anin't gotta AMMO,,ya mite as well be buying baseball bats,,,,:D:D

DHart
11-20-10, 05:06
I think Magic Salad has it about right.

For me about three is the minimum... for each category of firearms... three revolvers, three 1911's, three Glocks, three shotguns, three lever rifles, three misc rifles, and three ARs. I've been working for awhile now on whittling down to three in each the categories but the last one... I need one more AR to make three. Presently have a BCM/LMT 16" LW middy and a BCM 14.5" Middy. I think #3 will be a Dissipator wearing irons only.

Nevermiss
11-20-10, 06:15
Dude! This is like asking women how many pairs of shoes is enough on an Oprah forum. :laugh:

I started 2 years ago and I'm up to 6 ARs. My next will be a KAC SR-25 EMC.

Good fun. My 8 year-old daughter just shot her first AR with me last week. I had her shoot my Novekse/Magpul MPLA and I explained to her the collector value of the lower and she just thought the Red dot in Aimpoint was cool (she's only shot iron sights before).

The_War_Wagon
11-20-10, 09:08
Again, really depends how many you think is enough or at least, you can safely own without the risk of the wife grabbing one and actually using it on you. :D

This is why;

a) you HAVE to get a locking cabinet/safe after #3
b) you keep them ALL the same color (preferably black), so she can never tell the difference
c) HIDE the combination/extra set of keys for an emergency

I have 4 complete AR's, and two more complete lowers. Upper #5 - a dedicated .22LR upper - in on a UPS truck somewhere even now. :D But you didn't hear that from me. :eek:

jwperry
11-20-10, 09:27
I have 2 ARs and after I bought my second I can't afford to buy/build any more because the cost of ammo for those two is running me almost $500 a month...couple that with pistol ammo cost and my 1 class a year rule, plus range time each week, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to buy more. Good thing I like what I got!

BAC
11-20-10, 09:41
I like the X + 1 formula...

I don't really have a set amount; I like tinkering and there's a lot of things I want to do with the rifle. Primarily I want a 5.56 something I can do carbine courses and get into 3-gun with, but I also want a few 16-18" uppers in 'non-standard' calibers (6mm AR (http://www.6mmar.com/), 6x41 SPC, 7mm ARk (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=397161&page=5)) also set up for competition and maybe very long range shooting. And if BM or Remington ever fix the complaints I have with the ACR (weight, barrel, grip), that's an option too.

-B

300WM
11-20-10, 09:42
Check out the scene in "The Matrix" where Neo says he needs some guns. If they are all AR's, that should be enough.

Army Chief
11-20-10, 09:59
Assuming we can agree that "need" is a very subjective word in this context, my thoughts run toward the idea that capability -- not collectability -- should drive the process, and it is always better to have quality over quantity.

For baseline purposes, I favor a three gun approach: CQB, mid-range/GP and precision/special purpose. We know what the first two need to look like for the most part, and I would submit that the latter might well be an alternate caliber (i.e. 6.8 or 7.62), or some other dedicated configuration. In general, most shooters will have a use for all three variants at some point, are likely to train with each, and can cover most any conceivable contingency with the tools on hand.

As time and funds permit, it would also make a certain amount of sense to create a "shadow rifle" for each of these primaries, though it is less likely that any of these would go into heavy rotation, and we're mostly just talking about added insurance against a rainy day and long-term investment in the event of future legislative restrictions.

That's a total of six rifles, with an admitted qualifier that three of them are unlikely to ever see much practical use. Can you get by with less? Absolutely. Can you really get your money's worth out of more? Debatable, though this will depend to a certain degree on whether one's primary purposes are for defense, sport or pleasure.

It is also worth noting that any AR arsenal is likely going to be complimented by "other tools in the shed." These might be pistols or shotguns for the close-in fight, lever guns for mid-range work, or battle rifles and bolt guns for distance engagements, but taken together, this makes it much less likely that one would need to do everything with a Stoner-pattern rifle.

Want to build or buy more, simply because you have an affinity for the system? Well, there is nothing wrong with that, but I think most guys are kidding themselves if they think that they are actually going to use all of these rifles. There is nothing wrong with collecting, of course, but I do think that many of us find ourselves paring down the inventory over time, as our focus turns less from having one of everything that interest us, and more toward being able to effectively employ a few selected examples of those that we really prefer.

One man's opinion. Yours may surely vary.

AC

gr7070
11-20-10, 10:20
Own: 0, for now.
Enough: 1, for me.

Y'all can buy as many as you wish so long as you can afford them. And by afford I mean after you save for retirement and do all the other proper things with your money first.

I'll still roll my eyes at anything over 3-5, but, meh, if you can afford them knock yourselves out.

LonghunterCO
11-20-10, 10:27

The premise is a little jacked up though, it is like asking;

How much horsepower is enough?
How much money is enough?
How much sex is enough?

There are some things in life you can never have enough of.

Cameron

I am here. Going into the AWB I was in a decient position rifle wise...ok I was in a very good position;). During the ban somethings changed to include the birth of two little boys. All of a sudden I was underguned, long term. I set down before the sunset and made of list of what all I wanted given the changes in my situation. At the sunset I went out and purchased all the receiver for each build. Within 12 months of the sunset I had them all. I am still putting them together (I lost some time in there when our current President took over and nothing was to be had).
Make a list of what you would have liked to have had on hand today if a AWB with no sunset was brought in next week. That is how many you need. YMMV.

v-j
11-20-10, 10:55
One is all you can shoot at one time, so that is all that is needed.
Unless you can double fist?

Army Chief
11-20-10, 11:21
Make a list of what you would have liked to have had on hand today if a AWB with no sunset was brought in next week.

I was 21 when the FOPA resulted in the machinegun ban, and remember all-too-well wishing that I had invested in some NFA hardware prior to the closing of the door. This was not because I needed them for any real purpose then, but simply because I knew that it wasn't going to be possible later. Given Longhunter's words, I think much the same line of thinking is underpinning my thoughts on trying to invest in the duplicate "shadow rifles" I mentioned earlier.

Need? No, but if my choices are (a) buy everything that I would ever wish to have now, or (b) lament the lack of availability and legal options later, then it only makes sense to over-invest a bit. For me, that's still only about three rifles, but if you believe that the supply is eventually going to be finite, then it is hard to judge any pre-defined number as excessive.

Remember that there is a financial angle to consider here as well: the M-16 you could have bought for $1,500 a quarter-century ago will easily command ten times that amount (or more) today, and had the AWB not expired, I'm sure we would be seeing a similar trend with pre-ban black rifles.

AC

till44
11-20-10, 11:23
Make a list of what you would have liked to have had on hand today if a AWB with no sunset was brought in next week.

Living in CA this is how I planned. Get them while you can without going too crazy. The problem with buying a few "extra" lowers is that they somehow become whole rifles after awhile. Despite that I have tried to make sure that each one serves a specific purpose (CQB, RECCE, SPR, .22 trainer) rather than have 5 of the same rifle.

LonghunterCO
11-20-10, 11:27
...rather than have 5 of the same rifle.

if you have 5 family members then 5 of the same rifle is not too bad on a idea....

Beat Trash
11-20-10, 12:26
Four family members means four AR's.

Any beyond that are fun guns.

Deaj
11-20-10, 12:55
For non-critical use one AR is enough. For critical use (with the '2 is 1, 1 is none, philosophy taken into consideration) two AR's are enough. For those with a need for AR's of different configurations the specific number of configurations determines how many AR's are enough. For any of these consideration 5 may also be enough, or 10, 15, 30, 50.... all up to the needs/wants/desires of the owner of said AR's.

My AR is not for critical use and is of a re-purpose-able configuration so, for me, one AR is enough.

....for now. :)

JRM1983
11-20-10, 19:10
I've got four, thats one for each family member. I think a couple more in 5.56 and then its time to start on the 308's. :D

pkowatch
11-20-10, 21:33
I am not so concerned with accumulating significant numbers of actual complete rifles as I am with accumulating parts. I have two complete rifles, so at this point I am more concerned with having spare parts to fix anything that might break. If you don't have spare parts then your rifle can become useless if even the most simple part fails. Once I am comfortable with my parts inventory (and ammo inventory), then I will go back to looking at adding more complete rifles.

Bolt_Overide
11-20-10, 22:17
Im a fan of the old "Two is one and one is none" theory.

I try to have a primary and an exact duplicate backup for my serious use weapons, range toys of course need not be duplicated.

m1a_scoutguy
11-20-10, 22:33
I am not so concerned with accumulating significant numbers of actual complete rifles as I am with accumulating parts. I have two complete rifles, so at this point I am more concerned with having spare parts to fix anything that might break. If you don't have spare parts then your rifle can become useless if even the most simple part fails. Once I am comfortable with my parts inventory (and ammo inventory), then I will go back to looking at adding more complete rifles.

I agree,,,,110%,,makes perfect sense !!! I have 2 complete rifles at the moment,,I had 3,,but sold one just last week,,,:( Yea,, sad,,but the $$$ went to good use !!! A couple DD LPK are in the works,,,a couple BCM/DD Bolts are gonna be coming my way soon,,along with a few other goodies !!! And ammo/reloading supplies are on the way to my house as I type,,(hopefully Monday,,:D) There will be another rifle in my future,,but for now,,2 will fill the bill !!!! :):)

DHart
11-20-10, 23:09
Not a bad idea to keep your spare parts in fully assembled form... complete guns can be considered to be just an assemblage of spare parts... everything you might need! ;)

ThirdWatcher
11-21-10, 00:14
Honestly I tried and used the search feature to no avail, so I have to ask... How many AR's are enough..?

Let me know when you figure out the answer. :D

jck397
11-21-10, 00:22
One more...

MountainRaven
11-21-10, 14:44
While others far more sage and wise than I have submitted their opinions, I think I shall mention mine, because it has not been mentioned, yet.

For everyone in your household who is, has, or will be trained to utilize a firearm in a high-stress environment:

At a minimum, one AR-15 of any (quality) type with a weapon light and a spare parts kit including at least a complete bolt and firing pin plus spare batteries for any battery-operated gadgets on your weapon (light, optic, &c.), five magazines loaded with your choice of defensive ammunition, seven additional magazines, and a sealed case of one thousand rounds of ammunition (or two of five-hundred, &c.). In the event of fecal matter striking a ventilation device in a civil disturbance sort-of way, if your AR will take a bayonet, it may be helpful to possess one: Opinions differ, but since you should have a knife, anyway, it certainly cannot hurt if your knife can turn your rifle into a spear.

And then get another gun (another AR, AKM or other carbine, battle rifle, combat shotgun, &c.) as backup, should a part break that you don't have spares for (or you did, but the spare broke while a replacement spare was on order. Or the poop has struck the paddle most vigorously).

And, of course, a handgun of some variety is helpful.

Beyond that, buy whatever you might have need for or whatever makes you happy.

usmcvet
11-21-10, 14:52

That is a good plan. I need to get some spare parts together. I have three AR's and don't feel I need another one. I sold my fourth last spring. What I want and need are two different things. Two is all I need and if I had to bug out I would probably have to leave one behind.

RogerinTPA
11-21-10, 15:45
The ubiquitous answer is: 42;)

jbo723
11-21-10, 19:33
1. 20 Bushmasters/DPMS is way too many, but 1 DD, BCM, Noveske, etc. is not enough.

2. Here is a rule of thumb for your wife to consider. Each family member capable of shooting needs their own AR. Further, the more avid shooters need:

a. CQB AR-15 with a close range optic such as Eotech or Aimpoint red dot.

b. Mid range AR-15 with an ACOG with ballistic reticle.

c. Precision AR-15 with a good quality variable scope such as Nighforce 2-10 (in Larue mounts of course).

d. A minimum of 5,000 rounds of "emergency use only" ammo for each AR-15.

e. A miniumum of 5,000 rounds of "practice ammo" for each AR-15 (so that you don't have to be bothered with going to the gun store all the time).

f. A backup for each of (a), (b) and (c).

g. An array of AR-10s for serve the purposes of (a), (b) and (c) as well.

h. Variations of (a), (b) and (c) in desert camo, snow camp, urban camo, foliage camo, swimming pool camo, etc.

i. An AK-47 in case we go communist.

j. A precision sniper rig.

etc.

This pretty much sums up what I currently own minus the AK

usmcvet
11-21-10, 19:50
This pretty much sums up what I currently own minus the AK

You left one thing out. I would need another safe or to trade mine in for a bigger one.

Yojimbo
11-21-10, 20:07
AR15's are like Golf clubs, you may need a different one depending on the type of shot you're trying to make...

jbo723
11-21-10, 20:08
You left one thing out. I would need another safe or to trade mine in for a bigger one.

That's what kind of keeps me in check..I have a safe that holds 24 rifle and even though i would like to get another/bigger safe, it would only entice me to get more rifles and guns..I know for a fact that I do not need anymore than I have currently have and I made a promise to myself that if I want another one, i would sell one I currently own to get it..My focus in the last 4 years have primarily been towards training, classes, and competitions so for me, ammo has been the main component that my funds are geard towards..

wolf_walker
11-21-10, 20:18
I sort of had this in mind as I went off to the gun show this weekend with a wad of money in hand. I didn't buy shit. I looked at everything AR in the place, and as it turns out, the AR pattern gun I want is the one I pieced together, the rest of them are not of any use to me. I came close to a good deal on a DSA FAL, and there were a few old mil bolt guns that were tempting, but nothing that will not be around later.
I did get to snuggle a 416 and a SCAR, that was cool. I fondled a Plum Crazy lower, (complete with stock for $100). Saw an old colt upper with the paddle FA handle that might have been worth having for collector value, but nothing really moved me to pull out the money.
I saw a Chinese guy with a table selling Chinese EoTech's, that made me chuckle. :)

usmcvet
11-21-10, 20:24
AR15's are like Golf clubs, you may need a different one depending on the type of shot you're trying to make...

That is an excellent analogy.

rattlesnake
11-21-10, 20:25
I have 3. a 14.5 bcm leightweight carbine w/ ops-416, S&W 5.45x39 16" gov't profile carbine w/ ops 416, and spikes 16" gov't profile carbine DI all 3 on rra lowers. The 5.45x39 has a eotech xps-2 and the bcm has a exps-3. The spikes just has a mbus rear. I'm still in the process of getting another eotech. I have extra parts, and all parts to go back to DI if I want, but the ops-416s have treated me great. I'm not even sure how many aks I have, over 10 for sure. You can never have too many guns. The ar market is flooded though, and you will not get what you got into them out of them. Best to just keep them and enjoy them.

MOUNT-N-SLOT
11-21-10, 21:36
I have enough for each member of my family, who all know how to shoot, operate and clean them. And a spare.

The real question is... How many rounds do you have for each?

MOUNT-N-SLOT

arizonaranchman
11-21-10, 22:31
I'm not a collector, so I don't get into having bunches of rifles or handguns. But I do believe in having more than one. I don't keep them all in one place either so that not all can be lost in the event of a break-in, fire, etc

"A few" is definitely reasonable to me, as you can set each one up for different tasks - one for sniping or predator work w/scope, longer barrel and so forth. Another for CQB with a light and T1... Then maybe one for general purpose use/carry.