PDA

View Full Version : Great moment at Fort Dix yesterday...

Safetyhit
07-22-07, 10:44
I am a member of what is known as Range 14, a shooting range at Fort Dix here in New Jersey. I was in the area with my little boy, and I decided to go through and let him see and hear for the first time what real firearms sound like. He is only 3, so I kept him back a bit from the tables so as not to hurt his ears. I had no weapons with me to shoot, just passing through. Ten minutes, and we were back on our way.

To exit you must take a dirt road about a mile to a paved road, that then leads out of the base. At any time you pass convoys of Hummers on training manuevers, a common sight on any base I assume. As we were heading out via the dirt road, a convoy of six Hummers approached from the other direction. Instead of just passing as always, this time the lead vehicle stopped and the second one pulled in front of me, blocking the entire road. The lead vehicle had what I assume was a SAW mounted on top, the secong a BMG. Suddenly the lead truck pulls across the road a bit closer to my SUV and the top gunner starts spraying us with blanks. After about 30-40 rounds, he stopped, they reformed, and they drove on like nothing happened. :confused:

While I was not expecting that at all, not for a split second was I (or my son, amazingly) concerned while it all happened so fast. I knew, despite those six idiots recently, there was no way...

Still, it was an amazing experience that I will always remember and cherish. My son really had no idea as to what happened, and since I never showed fear he was extremely calm. In fact all he wanted to do after that was see more soldiers. :cool:

I knew they were training with us almost immediatly, but just to be safe I called the base range and asked if we were no longer supposed to be on that particular access road. They said if your hazard lights are not on, you are fair game. Awesome.

Hope it happens again, soon! Might play along next time and....., well maybe not.

Wally
07-22-07, 12:52
That sounds great!!! Years ago I was hunting pig at Fort Hunter Ligget and was chased by an Apache...We got lost and ended up in a test range by accident!!! Whoops!!!

Keep yourr hazards off if you ever return...

Wally

mark5pt56
07-22-07, 13:12
Be carefull on those trails. Getting run over by a track would be a bad thing. Alot of these areas have schedules to assist with control of who's using the ranges/trails so let's say some Abrahms don't run you over.

Years ago, a company of Abrahms decided they would take a shortcut back from manuevers(Grafenwoehr). They were supposed to stay on the trail one way and went the other. Well, I knew the schedule and who was supposed to be where and was nearly flattened by one. We were both in blackout drive and luckily, I heard him and the best thing to do was turn on the lights real quick. It was close, we were about 2 feet from each other and a little jeep would've lost big time. I think that was one of the closest calls ever. They were'nt happy when they had to turnaround and the CSM of the post found out.

C'mon, did you know they were blanks at first?:eek:

Safetyhit
07-22-07, 16:44
Will keep the hazards off, Wally. Thank-you, sir. :D

Mark, while I definitely did not know for sure if they were blanks or not at first, I just knew that they would not shoot us. Been there many times, know the general scene and procedure. At very first I thought maybe warning shots due to some change in access, but the sound was distinctively blanks and nothing kicked up.

Would have been too bizarre, even for New Jersey.

mark5pt56
07-22-07, 17:16
I bet when your son gets older he'll really get a kick out of it! A service buddy lives up that way and does some matches at Dix. I wish Dam Neck still did.

whitetiger7654
07-22-07, 21:36
Good thing you didn't have any guns and return live fire. That would have made them crap their pants.

mark5pt56
07-23-07, 08:11
I can remember the Drill Sergeant telling us at Ft. McClellan(spelling) to not point our rifles with blanks at any of the good ole boys--they'll shoot back

Safetyhit
07-23-07, 17:44
Now that I think about it a bit more, shooting at just anyone in a car who is likely to be coming from one of the ranges in the immediate area could get the wrong reaction from the wrong person.

Of course, to travel legally with a firearm here in N.J. you must have the unloaded gun in the rear of the vehicle, even on the base. By the time the legally carrying guy got everything together, someone would likely be able to communicate with him.

But, there is always the chance of that jumpy, random idiot who doesn't follow the rules...

Grin Reaper
07-23-07, 19:57
Good story.

My son really had no idea as to what happened, and since I never showed fear he was extremely calm. Having worked in ER's for about 14 years, I've seen a lot of this, as well as the opposite effect that the opposite behavior has. Calm is contagious. So is panic.