PDA

View Full Version : Transportation Information:

Mac5.56
10-18-10, 10:58
Hey Guys,

This place is such an amazing wealth of knowledge I knew I would get an answer to this question here. It is pretty much our region specific so I that is the reason for using the regional forums.

I am wondering if anyone has a link to information regarding the transportation of assault weapons across state lines? Does the NRA have a link or something I can look at so that I know what states I can drive into with my AR and what ones I can't?

Is it even an issue?

I know with pistols it's a big no no to drive into NY with one. So what say you regarding the black rifles?

TY44934
10-18-10, 11:18
Under the 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA '86), owners are supposed to be protected while travelling so long as:

-all guns are unloaded (definition of this varies) and

-locked in trunk (this definition also varies & becomes more complicated for vehicles without traditional "trunks" - like many pickups). and

-the owner is travelling continuously (again, definitions) and

-the guns can be lawfully owned in both the location where the journey started and where it ended.

FOPA '86 is simple, right? It should have been simple. State AWBs make the issue far more complicated & can include magazine bans which could affect you - like California's ban. You need to research your route ahead of time. Even post McDonald, I would try to avoid travelling with ANY gun through:

NYC ,
D.C., and
any military installation, camp or base.

Again, you are supposed to be protected by FOPA '86 if you follow the rules it sets up. That was the intent anyway.

Mac5.56
10-18-10, 11:42
Thank you.

What if said gun is disassembled during transportation as a fail safe measure?