PDA

View Full Version : Elk in Arkansas

Hersh
10-18-10, 16:49
'Thought you guys might enjoy seeing this.

Last week I was on vacation and spent a few days hiking along the Buffalo (National) River in northern Arkansas. Wednesday, after finishing the last trail, there was a real treat back on the highway (Arkansas 43 between Boxley and Ponca).

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Hershel_Van/Elk1.jpg

These are, iirc, Rocky Mountain Elk and about 112 were introduced into the area between 1981 and 1985. The Arkansas Game & Fish Commission now estimates the herd to number somewhere around 450.

I wish I'd had a better camera because this shot doesn't do them justice at all. At 250 or so yards they are still damn big animals. The mature bull in the middle near the bare tree had a harem with him of about 15 cows and several calfs. A smaller bull in an adjacent field bugled and started walking towards this bigger bull a couple of times, but stayed well out of ass kickin' range.

montanadave
10-18-10, 18:52
That is a beautiful area. I did some canoeing along the Buffalo River many, many moons ago. Thanks for posting the pic.

M4Fundi
10-18-10, 22:03
It will get really interesting when they reintroduce wolves there too ;)

Pumpkinheaver
10-19-10, 22:06
The powers that be have decided just this week to reintroduce elk into the ozarks of Missouri. Nothing in the woods that sounds as sweet as a wild elk bugling.