PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing the Military Athlete program

Ash Hess
10-18-10, 19:59
We started the pre Afghan program a few weeks ago from www.militaryathlete.com It has been a real Butt whoopin so far. Just seeing if anyone has run thru the program

cbyrd556
10-19-10, 08:25
I hadn't heard of it before. But all those workouts sound good on the website. I'm all for functional training vs. just working out in general. I'm interested in the Range Fitness workout they list. It may be 25 bucks, but if it makes me a better shooter then it's worth it. Thanks for the link. Please keep us posted on your progress with the pre deployment workout. Good luck.

Ash Hess
10-19-10, 15:51
The Range Fitness is good. We have done some dry fires on the qualification "She's a B$tch" and it sucks even without shooting.

cbyrd556
10-20-10, 11:31
The Range Fitness is good. We have done some dry fires on the qualification "She's a B$tch" and it sucks even without shooting.

Glad to hear it. Anything special I should know before venturing into that workout cycle? What was the biggest a$$ kicker out of it? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Ash Hess
10-21-10, 04:45
The Range Fitness uses things like sprints and up/ downs to get your heart rate up into the Stress area. So if you can handle some of those you will be good. The program doesnt fall apart if you take a break.

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvw9ECvyRio&p=A4D002A17CCBCC74&playnext=1&index=6

cbyrd556
10-22-10, 08:44
The Range Fitness uses things like sprints and up/ downs to get your heart rate up into the Stress area. So if you can handle some of those you will be good. The program doesnt fall apart if you take a break.

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvw9ECvyRio&p=A4D002A17CCBCC74&playnext=1&index=6

That is some good shit there. Thanks a million Cavalryman, I can't wait to begin doing this. I can only imagine what it is like with plates in and all the gear on. Maybe I should get some plates now to fully simulate the drill. Stay safe brother. If my reenlistment code would allow it I'd be there with you.

Ash Hess
11-13-10, 22:23
We just attended a Tracking class in Arizona. The elevation here is about 700 feet and there it is 4000. The 3rd day we were there we were climbing the mountains overlooking mexico. This Fitness plan works. We had no problems moving anywhere. I wish we had done it the first 2 times I went to Afghan.
I am sold.

cbyrd556
11-16-10, 22:17
We just attended a Tracking class in Arizona. The elevation here is about 700 feet and there it is 4000. The 3rd day we were there we were climbing the mountains overlooking mexico. This Fitness plan works. We had no problems moving anywhere. I wish we had done it the first 2 times I went to Afghan.
I am sold.

Man that is outstanding. I let a buddy of mine in the 4th ID know about it and he has his platoon doing now. I will let him know how it helped your unit out. I have only done the shooting workout sans live firing and it is brutal in its own right. Stay safe brother and have a good one.

$CashMoney$
11-17-10, 00:45
I've done the Afghan Deployment plan as well as the selection train-up plan. Both are good, and very rigorous, but I have a big beef with both: time.

Really they're nothing more than specific HIIT, for the most part. However, some of the workouts take upwards of 2 and a half hours. Personally, I don't have that kind of time on most days.

I've had equal or better results doing Gym Jones, which I've been doing for about three months now. Coupling these strength training workouts with a decent 5k training plan has proven more efficient for me, I've lost a few unnecessary pounds doing it, and I'm just as comfortable carrying heavy weight through big hills at high elevation as I've ever been.

The only issue with Gym Jones is you have to pay $500 a year to get access to the training plans. Depending on your committment to fitness, this may be too much. Or, you can just know someone who's willing to pay the membership fee ;).

Anyway, it's food for thought. Check out some of the workouts on gymjones.com and give them a whirl. I think you'll be impressed.

Ash Hess
11-30-10, 16:31
Some of them do take a lot of time. Which isn't too bad for me since our PT time is an hour and a half mandatory. We have been using the Operator sessions this week and will be starting on the Squad plan next week.

I will check out the Gym Jones workouts and see how they do.

Also as a surprise gift to the guys on friday we are going to run the workout plan from the Toughmudder website. They should love it.

$CashMoney$
11-30-10, 19:35
Off topic, but Toughmudder is no joke. Some of the guys at work are thinking about running it and keep asking me to join them. I'm looking for excuses, like going back to the sandbox to avoid it!!!

I do the idea of the squad pt on military athelete. It makes a squad leader's job a lot easier, and takes away some of the excuses for some of the lazy squad leaders out there. If I were back in the "big Army" I'd (strongly) encourage my squad leaders to do that program!!!

Ash Hess
12-02-10, 17:54
I was looking at the Tough Mudder for our pre deployment Event. It will suck but will be a good suck.

We will be starting this week on the squad plan. Using the weekend to get the equipment set up. We will see how it goes.