PDA

View Full Version : Tommy gun pistol to SBR?

MEGA-M4
10-18-10, 22:10
I would like to own a tommy gun but with the short barrel, so my question is can I purchase a tommy gun pistol and put a stock on it. Is this AOW, SBR, or not even possible?

xrayoneone
10-18-10, 23:34
The pistol is not drilled and tapped for a stock so it would not be possible to place a stock on it. However, Auto-Ordnance does make SBR rifles for purchase.

MadDog
10-19-10, 08:24
Yes the Pistol "IS" capable of becoming an SBR. Even though it does not come drilled and tapped for a stock, a company out of New York (I think it is called Tommyguns.com) makes an adapter that allows you to use a "real" stock. Real stocks slip onto the weapon by way of a rail and locks into place by push-button. Just Form1 your pistol (200 tax stamp), buy the adapter, mill or file a flat spot to receive the adapter, drill, tap and install. Real surplus stocks are very cheap and can be fround on the net. The great thing about using a real stock is that you can pull it off with the push of a button for compact storage or to make the ultimate WWII PDW.

MadDog :big_boss:

Todd.K
10-19-10, 10:37
I would like to own a tommy gun but with the short barrel, so my question is can I purchase a tommy gun pistol and put a stock on it. Is this AOW, SBR, or not even possible?

You would be making an SBR, entirely possible if legal in your state.

Don't put the stock on until your approved Form 1 is in hand.

xrayoneone
10-19-10, 17:36
Yes the Pistol "IS" capable of becoming an SBR. Even though it does not come drilled and tapped for a stock, a company out of New York (I think it is called Tommyguns.com) makes an adapter that allows you to use a "real" stock. Real stocks slip onto the weapon by way of a rail and locks into place by push-button. Just Form1 your pistol (200 tax stamp), buy the adapter, mill or file a flat spot to receive the adapter, drill, tap and install. Real surplus stocks are very cheap and can be fround on the net. The great thing about using a real stock is that you can pull it off with the push of a button for compact storage or to make the ultimate WWII PDW.

The actual detachable stock is different than the surplus fixed stocks you see on the net for $10. The removable stocks sell for $200+ and are fairly heavy. The receiver on the pistol is aluminum and if you were going to drill and tap that for the stock you may want to look at bushing the lower so that you don't over tighten the bolts and strip out the receiver. Mind you, you have two bolts that will need to be centered and aligned properly or you will end up with a cast off on your stock you may not want. I don't know how hard the aluminum Tommy lower receivers are but hanging a 1.5 to 2 lbs walnut stock off of it may not be ideal. My removable stock wieghs near 2 lbs with all metal in place.

Your other easier and better option than the above is to buy a carbine and re-barrel it. Fill out the required paperwork, get approved, pay the tax, then thread on the new barrel. A 10.5" Tommy barrel runs less than the removable stock and is infinitly easier to install than a stock. And YES they are the same thread pattern and pitch and once installed the gun runs the same. Make sure head space is correct once installed and you're good-to-go.

FYI the adapter you are thinking of is solely to install a removable stock onto a fixed stock model with out modifying the lower receiver. You still need to purchase the detachable stock which runs $200 or more and is different than the fixed/non-detachable stock.

I don't know this man from Adam but his asking price on this 1927 is very fair https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=57340 . If I didn't have bills to pay I would snatch that up.

pilotguyo540
10-19-10, 18:16
Nowz you shu be tinkin about that violin case dat youze gonna be keepin your girl.

Fackin guy!

Kidding, but the violin case is a seriously bad ass addition :D

MadDog
10-19-10, 19:33
xrayoneone: The "real" stock I purchased from surplus slipped on the proper rail and included the locking mechanism. I paid $75 for it a couple of years ago. When I did mine the pistol was not available. I submitted my Form1 and rebarreled it with a a surplus barrel (in excellent condition) which I believe I paid $150 for. The main reason I went the adapter route is because I wanted the "real deal" stock. If I had to do it again I would go with the pistol version because the work to convert to a real stock will be the same and I would eliminate the rebarrel process. I have played with the new pistol and the one I handled definitely had a steel lower receiver, not aluminum.

Pilotguy: The violin case most often seen is more like the size of a guitar case. In order to use a "real" violin case you would need to have a removable stock or leave the stock off and shoot it as a pistol.

xrayoneone
10-19-10, 20:13
From Auto- Ordnance:

Thompson Pistol: TA5 (10.5" finned barrel, Aluminum Receiver)
“Lightweight Deluxe Pistol”

Specifications Model TA5
Caliber .45 ACP
Barrel 10.5", 1-16.38 Right Hand Twist
Weight 5 lbs. 14.5 oz.
Length 23.3" overall
Sight Brade Front, Open Rear Adjustable
Grips Walnut, Horizontal Foregrip
Magazine One 50 Round Drum Magazine
Warranty 1 year
* Specifications subject to change without notice

You may have seen a NIB Pistol from the 80's which I believe were steel or you may have seen a carbine that someone turned into a pistol. The new ones are most deffinetly Aluminum.

As far as the "real" stocks go both the fixed and detachable are "real" as they were both used on the original Thompson SMGs. To attach an original detachable stock you need to mill the lower rear portion of the lower receiver to accept the original bracket OR purchase the adapter which is an after market part that accepts the bracket. The detachable stocks run $200+. Either way on the pistol one would need to drill, tap, bush and align two seperate holes to accept the mounting bracket. Not easy for someone with the tools and experience and not cheap if you need to pay.

Best way to do it is to rebarrel a carbine OR to just buy the SBR from Auto Ordnance. It sounds like the OP is trying to save money and if that is the case it is cheaper and easier to rebarrel a carbine.

And if the OP wants a detachable stock Auto-Ord makes carbines with a detachable stock.