PDA

View Full Version : Night Vision Compatible Holo sights

Sapper22
10-19-10, 10:12
I'm looking for some member feedback on reliable, rugged and functional NV-compatible holo sights. To be used on LE patrol carbines.

Thanks.

kmrtnsn
10-19-10, 10:36
What kind of NV? Helmet mounted, or rifle mounted?

Victor
10-19-10, 12:09
We use the Aimpoint Micro T1's and M4's on all our LEO training guns with our TM-14 mount that mounts the PVS-14 behind the optic.

We think the Aimpoint T1 and Comp series is the most rugged units out there. You can see a good video here of an Aimpoint rep dropping a rifle on the deck repeatedly while still shooting the same POA/POI each time with these products. http://vimeo.com/9841700

Just cannot go wrong here with Aimpoints for durability and incredible battery life. 50K hours on the T1 and 70K+ on the Comp M4's.

Sapper22
10-19-10, 13:32
What kind of NV? Helmet mounted, or rifle mounted?

Most likely rifle mounted.

R3V3LATIONS
10-20-10, 10:38
EO Tech 551 works great. doesnt take up a lot of rail space either. only problem is EO Tech discontinued the series, so if you find one it will probably be used.

Sapper22
10-20-10, 15:05
EO Tech 551 works great. doesnt take up a lot of rail space either. only problem is EO Tech discontinued the series, so if you find one it will probably be used.

OK, that might be a problem - my agency is looking to purchase a few, and I'm not sure they'd be too crazy about buying used. Sorry - I probably should have stated that this was not an individual purchase!

Thanks for your feedback though...

JSantoro
10-20-10, 21:51
That's less of an issue than the thought of buying a RDS that will end up with an I-square device behind it. You end up blocking the controls of a holo that will shut itself off in 4 or 8 hours, at which point you're maybe in an epic struggle to get the thing back on; might be at exactly the wrong time. Or if (when), while firing, your batteries lose contact with the nodes in the compartment because the garbage springs and bushings fail, presuming you didn't yank them out the last time you changed batteries because those same too-soft springs and bushings are not mounted well to begin with.

If the EO is still the go-to, then the models with the side-mount controls. Or, a 40% redundancy of any of the other series, so that officers can swap out a busted optic for a functional one while allowing the down devices to get fixed with the exact same parts (which may or may not be complimentary, depending on which rep at EOTech you get) that failed in the first place so you can stay in an optical Sisyphean time loop.

If you're after accessible controls, NVG capability, battery longevity and not-going-to-be-sent-a-spring-kit-and-told-to-fix-it-yourself, then it's any NVG-capable Aimpoint device.

Take a look at the Insight MRDS, if you get a chance. That thing's pretty impressive; small, light, uses a fairly common and available mount, tough -- though I personally kinda look sideways at the oddball battery they use, which is not a total no-go, since the 1/3Ns and the CR2032s aren't exactly at every CVS Pharmacy, either. I'm pretty sure the low-end intensity setting works with NVGs, but that's why I say "take a look," and not "get."

marsh1
10-21-10, 00:21
The EOTech that addresses those issues is the EXPS. Side controls. Sideways mounted CR123.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Web%20photos/EXPS.jpg

Sapper22
10-24-10, 18:51
Jim, Marshall,

thanks for your input. The large array of combinations/options are a little daunting for someone new to the field...