PDA

View Full Version : 3-Gun Fun in VA ***PICS ! ! !***

blackscot
07-23-07, 12:31
The annual "Weapons Master" match hosted by Rivanna Rifle and Pistol in Charlottesville, held this past Saturday.

First match I've managed to get to all year, and the very first for the M&P AR I got last Spring (seen below with the dark lanky guy).

Was a major rip-snorter ! ! !

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/rivanna07/755c.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/rivanna07/6f61.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/rivanna07/1fcd.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/rivanna07/6b15.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/rivanna07/c593.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/rivanna07/bf39.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/rivanna07/d7a6.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/rivanna07/35f2.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/rivanna07/b834.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/rivanna07/fbbe.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/rivanna07/f6ca.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/rivanna07/969f.jpg

Robb Jensen
07-23-07, 12:57
Looks awesome! If it was Sunday I could have shot. Getting out of work on a Saturday is pretty hard.

blackscot
07-23-07, 13:32
You'd have loved it Robb.

Your fix to the M&P is holding rock-solid. Now verging on 1K rounds, including lots of Wolf, and with minimal cleaning/lubing. This gun sure has restored my faith in the AR platform!

subzero
07-23-07, 20:08
Man! I just don't know the right people, because I don't find out about these things until someone posts pictures. Between this and the S&W/FN/whatever else shootoff in Winchester, there was a lot more to do this weekend than I thought.

Boss Hogg
07-25-07, 11:51
Looks like a great time.

Interesting choice of cars- the John Malvo edition Chevy? :confused: (great car- I had a '79 Caprice way back when)

Robb Jensen
07-26-07, 04:36
I remember using that same car at the Commonwealth Cup match there earlier this year.

blackscot
07-26-07, 06:27
......Interesting choice of cars.....

I remember using that same car at the Commonwealth Cup match there earlier this year.

This time, you started with the unloaded bolt-forward rifle lying in the open trunk next to a loaded mag, and you standing outside the driver's-side door with your left hand on the door frame and right hand on the roof.

At the signal, move and retrieve/load rifle, kneel next to car bumper, and engage targets at approx. 50 yards (including one requiring two head shots).

Then move forward approx. 25 yards to engage additional targets from behind barrels.

TOrrock
07-26-07, 09:37
Very cool, wish I had made it. :(

blackscot
07-26-07, 10:04
Very cool, wish I had made it. :(

Missed you Tim.

There's always BC3G though. Would be nice if I could catch a couple of those sometime.

Gunfixr
07-26-07, 12:47
I got to BC3G last winter once. It was my first 3-gun match, and I didn't have a shotgun, but they didn't use shotguns that month. Man what fun that was. The double death star was a challenge. I got a shotgun now, but I work Saturdays, so it's hard to get there. I'm hoping to get there again some this fall.

blackscot
07-26-07, 14:11
I got to BC3G last winter........hoping to get there again some this fall.

+1, maybe as the weather cools off a bit.

I've only been there once also -- I think was last Nov. Was great though. Joe & Joe have a hellavu show!

Possibly shall see you there!

Gunfixr
07-27-07, 00:52
Maybe so. They're not having one this month, and next month I'm going to Maryland for their first annual CAS Blackpowder Champoinship, either the same weekend or the one before. Can't miss 2 Sats in a row from work. So I'm planning on maybe Sept. or definately Oct. for BC3G. I like CAS, but I'm Jonesin' for some 3-Gun.

blackscot
07-27-07, 05:58
I need to make some kind of change shotgun-wise before I can return to BC3G.

With birdshot only mandated for their steel (no 00 allowed), my 18-inch cylinder-choked Rem. 870 doesn't have a tight enough group to knock down some of the plates (such as the Texas star). Also the plain front-bead sight has never aligned properly with my natural mount on the gun, making the longer range slug shots rather hellish (more so than usual, that is......).

I'm having trouble deciding whether to get an improved cylinder barrel for the 870, versus springing the 2-3 times $$$ needed to replace altogether with some kind of semi-auto. This gun would be strictly for these matches (not planning any real-world self-defense application).

Maybe the issue warrants a post on the shotgun board.

Looey
08-14-07, 21:29
looked like a good time, i am looking foward to the Black Water 3 gun match.

blackscot
08-15-07, 07:32

With birdshot only mandated for their steel (no 00 allowed), my 18-inch cylinder-choked Rem. 870 doesn't have a tight enough group to knock down some of the plates (such as the Texas star). Also the plain front-bead sight has never aligned properly with my natural mount on the gun, making the longer range slug shots rather hellish (more so than usual, that is......)......

Welp, I replaced with a 20-inch rifle-sighted IC barrel. Plan to return to BC3G this Sat. week (Aug. 25). Joe F. assures me the IC choke along with an adequately heavy field load will dispatch their steel no-prob. Rifle sights should also make the slugs a lot more do-able. Any further performance shortcomings will have to be attributed to operator error.

Shall also be bringing the M&P AR and Glock 19.

Anyone else going from here......per-chance ? ? ?

Gunfixr
08-16-07, 02:19
Can't go this month. Going to Md. for a CAS match the 19th. Can't do two matches in two weeks, wife would freak, plus miss two Saturdays at shop and get too behind. Either Sept. or Oct., depending on workload. AR's not up to par yet but can shoot he-man with FAL or go pistol cal. carbine.

blackscot
08-16-07, 06:07
Too bad fixr. I always like to see FAL's in action.

Gunfixr
08-16-07, 13:26
Well, I'll try to make Sept., if not I will push for Oct., and will bring the FAL.

blackscot
08-16-07, 14:06
I'm pretty sure I recall Joe telling me no BC3G in Oct, due to the NC Recon match then.

I hope to make Sept too, or if not then definitely Nov and/or Dec.

Hersh
08-16-07, 16:25
Looks like you guys had a big time!

Gunfixr
08-17-07, 00:24
I guess I need to work for September then.:D

Gunfixr
08-24-07, 20:06
I'm gonna try to make the Sept. match at Black Creek. Provided work isn't too heavy, I'll be there. Not sure what rifle I'll shoot, though. I can't really replace the .308 ammo, so I don't know about the FAL. I think the AR will be running well enough for it, but I will need more mags and maybe some more ammo. I also have a pistol cal. carbine that is set up for it, but the mags need testing first, and it would be better if there wasn't a long stage for that. I'll just have to see what goes. So, Blackscot, will I see you there? Anybody else?

blackscot
08-27-07, 06:58
Well, BC3G this past Sat. was about as brutal as can be imagined, with the heat index at like ten thousand something.......

This being only my second match all year was plainly evidenced as well by heavy frustration from the 80-yard mini-poppers and lolli-poppers on Stage 1.

Felt considerably better with the closer-up Stages 2 and 3, knicking a couple of no-shoots along the way -- which I hate doing -- but otherwise fairly smooth. All equipment also performed flawlessly.

Was amazed this morning seeing the scores that several others did actually worse than me on Stage 1 (which I can't figure out, since I almost totally bombed that one). So with the help from Stages 2 and 3, I ended up 16th out of 26 total.

I'm not out to beat anybody, but it does bug me that I couldn't clear all those hard-to-see'ums, which had I done so would have put me a lot further up the list. This is one of the things competition is good at though: showing what you need to practice on. I continue to be best at pistol, shotgun, and close-range rifle, but will be practicing the longer-range sniper-type rifle shots. And after doing so....... I'll be back.

Probably not for Sept. though, which will be the "pre-conn" match, as a warm-up for the NC Reconn match in Oct. The requirement here is that you carry everything on your person for the entire match, i.e. all three guns along with all ammo, mags, etc......everything. I'm just not prepared equipment-wise -- or probably endurance-wise -- to take this on. There'll be no Oct. at BC3G because of the NC Reconn, so Nov. will be my next chance to get even with the mini's and lolli's. Hopefully I'll be deadly by then......

Robb Jensen
08-27-07, 07:36
Almost VA !, Moyock NC actually.

I wish I could have shot the 3gun match at Black Creek. We did shoot the multi-gun match at Blackwater which was fun and we only got rained on at our very last stage (shotgun/pistol). Scores aren't out yet but I think I did okay.

Here's some pics. I forgot to get some shotgun pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robbrifle2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robbrifle-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robbpistol.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/luisrifle-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/luispistol.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/danrifle.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/danpistol.jpg

blackscot
08-27-07, 09:54
Team VA Arms ! ! ! Great pics.

I was flying solo Sat. and couldn't get pics. Mrs. Blackscot wasn't too keen this time on the prospects of coming along as photo-journalist. Spent the entire day at home with the AC on volume 10.

I was amazed that after BC3G some of them were going down to Blackwater the very next day. Gluttons for punishment!

Gunfixr
08-27-07, 10:17
Gotm4, great pics. Did you get the o-ring info I sent you?

I didn't know the Sept. match is a preconn match. I have the equipment, but I'm not sure on the endurance, either. I spent most of the first six months of this year laid up due to surgeries in Feb. and May, so my endurance is still not up to par. I may just have to bow out on that one. Only problem in Nov. is hunting season has my Saturdays really busy as most folks don't find out that their guns don't work until they pull the trigger and hear a click. Then they want it fixed "right now", so I stay busy through the seasons.

Robb Jensen
08-27-07, 10:24
Gotm4, great pics. Did you get the o-ring info I sent you?

I didn't know the Sept. match is a preconn match. I have the equipment, but I'm not sure on the endurance, either. I spent most of the first six months of this year laid up due to surgeries in Feb. and May, so my endurance is still not up to par. I may just have to bow out on that one. Only problem in Nov. is hunting season has my Saturdays really busy as most folks don't find out that their guns don't work until they pull the trigger and hear a click. Then they want it fixed "right now", so I stay busy through the seasons.

Yes I got it.

Blackwaters Sept match is the 3rd Sunday of the month (I think with a side shotgun match). I've been making it down there for about 4 IPSC matches or so a year and all of their bigger matches like Paper & Steel (mix of IDPA & USPSA) and the IDPA matches (Blackwater Shootout).

Check out www.blackwatershooters.com and www.defensiveshootersconfederation.com

I plan to do some deer hunting this year as well but down in Augusta Co (first week of the season).

blackscot
08-27-07, 11:10
......I didn't know the Sept. match is a preconn match. I have the equipment, but I'm not sure on the endurance, either. I spent most of the first six months of this year laid up due to surgeries in Feb. and May, so my endurance is still not up to par. I may just have to bow out on that one.....

'Fraid my only excuse is in anticipation of hitting the half-century mark this coming Feb.

.....Sept is the 3rd Sunday of the month (I think with a side shotgun match). I've been making it down there for about 4 IPSC matches or so a year and all of their bigger matches like Paper & Steel (mix of IDPA & USPSA) and the IDPA matches (Blackwater Shootout).

This is for Blackwater, correct? BC3G is the last Sat?

Robb Jensen
08-27-07, 11:13
This is for Blackwater, correct? BC3G is the last Sat?

Yes, I thought he was talking about Blackwater.

Gunfixr
08-28-07, 11:12
BC3G is Black Creek 3Gun and it is the 4th Saturday of the month. I've never been to Blackwater's match. Actually, Sunday is easier for me to make than Saturday. The only problem is that too many Sundays away pisses the wife off since it's my only day off.

Gotm4, I looked at the Blackwater site. What is the pistol classifier? I've only done the 3-gun at Black Creek once. Is the Blackwater shoot going to be too high speed, or can some newb to the game like myself go and not get too embarrassed or run off? I been shooting CAS for a few years, so I can be safe on the range w/loaded weapons, I just would probably be kinda slow, and since the local range doesn't allow high speed practice, miss a few pushing it.

blackscot
08-29-07, 06:10
It's a little hard for me to get the total picture, but it appears that Blackwater holds USPSA matches on a regular monthly basis, along with intermittant IDPA matches. At least some of the USPSA matches appear to be 3-gun, but possibly not all. I also get the impression that different groups of people are organizing the two as separate venues.

Anyway, if you are used to CAS range rules and procedures then you are well positioned to jump into either USPSA and/or IDPA. There's obvious differences in equipment, probably along with stage design, scoring, etc., but it's still basically "shoot this, then move over here, now shoot this....", etc.

Both also have a "shoot to your personal best ability" culture. Nobody other than the very top-most dogs are really trying to beat anyone. The contest is more just between you, your gun, and the targets.

With of course safety remaining paramount.

I'm sure gotm4 could get you correctly steered, and that the folks down there would welcome a new participant.

BTW, there are additional venues in VA for both USPSA and IDPA if you're interested. Checkout their web sites and follow the links for match locations and dates. I have participated in various among them over the past several years, and could give you a little additional info if desired.

Robb Jensen
08-29-07, 06:36
BC3G is Black Creek 3Gun and it is the 4th Saturday of the month. I've never been to Blackwater's match. Actually, Sunday is easier for me to make than Saturday. The only problem is that too many Sundays away pisses the wife off since it's my only day off.

Gotm4, I looked at the Blackwater site. What is the pistol classifier? I've only done the 3-gun at Black Creek once. Is the Blackwater shoot going to be too high speed, or can some newb to the game like myself go and not get too embarrassed or run off? I been shooting CAS for a few years, so I can be safe on the range w/loaded weapons, I just would probably be kinda slow, and since the local range doesn't allow high speed practice, miss a few pushing it.

A classifier for USPSA (it's only pistol/revolver) is a stage (1 of a few hundred possibilities) where your score and time are calculated. The numbers are run on a national average. Check out www.uspsa.com and then click on 'what is practical shooting' on the left side of the screen. As you get better and better your classifier scores are re-calculated to keep you current. When I started shooting competition in USPSA I started as a C class shooter and now I'm nearly an A class. Best to worst is Grandmaster(GM), Master, A, B, C and D.

In IDPA (www.idpa.com) a classifier is an actual 90 round match (always the same), your score and times are calculated. Best to worst is Master, Expert, Sharpshooter, Novice. (I'm currently VERY close to Master now)

You are really only competing against yourself (there's no defense in these 'games'). Sunday we had 2 older guys (both senior citizens) who are much more experienced competition shooters on our squad who didn't run between shooting positions, they walked (I've shot with both before and they are very cool guys). One of them even told me that they have a guy that occasionally comes out to shoot USPSA and uses a cane. He props the cane in his pocket when shooting then grabs it with his weakhand when he has to move.

I hope that when I'm in my 50s-60's that I'm still out shooting too. They don't try to win the match, they just come out and have fun (safely of course).........that's all it's really about, having fun, making new friends. :)

I think this was the 1st ever 3gun match at Blackwater. There's a monthly USPSA match (pistol/revolver) usually 5-6 stages with an alternating every other month shotgun or rifle 'side match'. For non-members of their club it's $25. It's a great match. Usually twice are year there is a large sanctioned IDPA match at Blackwater (Blackwater Shootout). You do have to be a member of IDPA to shoot it (www.idpa.com) with a classification. Ron Reiner runs it (he was one of the older guys on my squad Sunday).

If you've got the bug now, come out and play both games, IDPA is a little more about procedure and tactics but other than that their both very fun.

If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't do it.

blackscot
08-29-07, 11:36
......I hope that when I'm in my 50s-60's that I'm still out shooting too.....

Well I'm going to be 50 this Feb., and stopping shooting is definitely NOT in the plans.

.....an alternating every other month shotgun or rifle 'side match'.......

Hmm, sounds vaguely familiar.......

I should try to get to Blackwater sometime.

Gunfixr
08-29-07, 12:28
Thanks, guys, I do appreciate all this info. The 3gun shoot at Black Creek I went to was very similar to CAS, just different guns and clothes and gear. Oh, and we get to have extra ammo, no extra at CAS, you either do it or not. I wasn't worried about winning a match, I was consistently around halfway up or just below in CAS as I'm just having fun. Plus, I figure being practiced at shooting at different scenarios with time pressure certainly won't hurt. Sounds like I would be ok.

Edited to add: I hope I'm still shooting in my 50-60s, too. Hell I'm 40 now so that's not too far away.

Robb Jensen
08-30-07, 07:48
Well I'm going to be 50 this Feb., and stopping shooting is definitely NOT in the plans.

Hmm, sounds vaguely familiar.......

I should try to get to Blackwater sometime.

Well you look a very young 50 Randy ! :D

Honestly I think both of the guys were early to mid 60's after talking to some friends of mine. Both really good shooters too!

blackscot
08-30-07, 08:29
Well you look a very young 50 Randy ! :D......

Thanks man, but I sure feel it at times.

Must be doing something right though. Match timers certainly boost one's adrenaline. Or perhaps gunsmoke has a preservative effect?

CarlosDJackal
10-03-07, 08:09

With birdshot only mandated for their steel (no 00 allowed), my 18-inch cylinder-choked Rem. 870 doesn't have a tight enough group to knock down some of the plates (such as the Texas star). Also the plain front-bead sight has never aligned properly with my natural mount on the gun, making the longer range slug shots rather hellish (more so than usual, that is......).

I'm having trouble deciding whether to get an improved cylinder barrel for the 870, versus springing the 2-3 times $$$ needed to replace altogether with some kind of semi-auto. This gun would be strictly for these matches (not planning any real-world self-defense application).

Maybe the issue warrants a post on the shotgun board.

Have you tried using heavier birdshot (IE: #6)? It'll be a lot cheaper. I have had good luck with this in my cyclinder bore 870 which has an 18.5-inch barrel.

Robb Jensen
10-03-07, 08:14
Randy,
If you're barrel has 'enough meat' at the muzzle you could send if off for machining to accept choke tubes.

In my Benelli I use Briley extended Improved Cylinder and Light Modified choke tubes. My typical 'birdshot' load is a Winchester SuperSport #8s, #7 1/2s work well too.

blackscot
10-09-07, 06:02
Thanks guys.

Well, BC3G this past Sat. was about as brutal as can be imagined, with the heat index at like ten thousand something.......

I failed to mention here that I had by then re-fitted the 870 with a 20-inch IC barrel with rifle sights. Was also using heavier field loads. Definitely got better knock-down on the steel. The rifle sights also enabled waaay better accuracy on the 80-yard slug shots.

Having the longer barrel, I also replaced the original 2-round mag extension with a 3-rounder, which gotm4 then wonderfully refinished to match the dark matte of the rest of the gun.:cool:

The whole set-up now looks a whole lot more professional. Still need to get a front swivel on the barrel clamp to mount a sling, and will then post some pics.

Lastly, I was readily able to sell the original 18-inch barrel and 2-round mag extension for what I thought was a fair price, and thereby defer part of the cost of upgrading my gun.

All-in-all a successful chapter.:D