PDA

View Full Version : Best tactical packable spotting scopes

User Name
10-19-10, 21:17
Hello
I am getting into long range precision shooting and am in need of a packable/portable spotting scope (my Tasco POS is not cutting it). What are considered the better spotting scopes for the money? Thanks

steven58
10-21-10, 17:01
"Packable" is relative.

How far do you need to see? What do you need to see (targets, critters, bullet holes)?

My set up is packable for me considering I want to be able to see bullet holes at 600 yds with shoot n see type targets.

I put this spotter:

http://www.sportoptics.com/kowa-spotting-scope-standard-82mm-angled-20-60-zoom-eyepiece.aspx

on this stand:

http://www.ray-vin.com/scopestands/tactical/tactical.htm

It gives me the optical ability I want and the stability I need.

In a soft case it packs up fairly well considering it's capability.

YMMV.

payj
10-24-10, 16:11
Interested in this as well.....

steven58
10-24-10, 20:53
A little more info on my spotting scope and stand:

the 20-60 X 82mm objective lens Kowa is 15" long and weighs in at 52.2 oz.

the stand is 12" long folds up tight and weighs 40 oz.

So with the soft case figure an even 6 lbs. total.

A "compact" spotter like the Leupold gold ring is 12.4" long and weighs 37 oz. but you are limited to a 12-40X and 60 mm objective lens.

I recommend looking through any spotters you are considering at the ranges you intend to use them at. Not just across the store.

At 200 yds and closer the above 2 scopes provide similar images. Get out to 600 and beyond and the larger objective gives a much clearer more usable image with crisp details. The extra 20X ain't bad either.

trinydex
12-28-14, 23:18
anyone have anything new on spotting scopes?

SkiDevil
12-29-14, 01:35
I have been checking around as well.

My conclusions after looking at 10+ spotting scopes. Anything less than $500.00 is not worth even bothering with because of poor quality, resolution, and usability.

If you want something compact; the scope is very limited performance wise vs a standard scope.

As others have stated define your needs and requirements for the spotting scope and work from there to select the right tool.

My own use for a spotting scope: solely range use, size does not matter, range 100-200 yards, rifle calibers .22, .30, and budget less than $1,00.00. Primary use 100 yard rifle range for .223 rifle.

My tentative choices:
http://www.sportoptics.com/kowa-spotting-scope-standard-82mm-angled-25X-eyepiece.aspx

http://www.sportoptics.com/RZR-65S1.aspx

http://swfa.com/Vortex-20-60x80-Diamondback-Spotting-Scope-P61037.aspx

Other considerations include most spotting scopes Do Not include a tripod or mount for viewing, which is an additional $100-300.00.

When you jump up in price to the $800-1,200 the quality of the glass, resolution become apparent. Particularly, when you are zoming to the higher powers. The 80mm scopes seem easier to use and provide a better picture.

I thought that a lower cost compact model was what I was interested in until I looked at two different brands: Vortex and Leupold.

I second the recommendation of actually looking through the scope before buying one which may limit your options.

The Vortex scopes offer alot of value for what you pay.

trinydex
12-29-14, 02:06
I saw 8541 tactical's video on the bushnell elite tactical 8-40x60 LMSS

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGVi6vgahYc

the video got me researching. the review is quite glowing but the price is so high for the 40x magnification cap. no tripod, no cover (although it is ruggedized).

in most military pictures I see the leupold mark 4 12-40x60mm being used.

I saw a review that said the best buy for the money was the meopta meostar S2 30-60x82

here's some shotshow coverage of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBerAMdKeT0

I had no idea meopta ever made anything worth buying. it seems this meostar is the same length as the bushnell offering.

on the subject of size, my experience of carrying a spotter into the field is that my spotter is huge, probably even longer than the meopta but not as wide. it comes an ancient and awkward carrying case/tube from the 1970s era so... it doesn't get any worse than that. the scope works so I can't complain, but I just can't appreciate the tactical advantage of a smaller spotter package as I don't have portability experience. I know I wouldn't want to bring this thing in the storage tube into the field, but I don't know if there is truly a huge difference between 16" or 13" long. I feel like it'd a bigger deal to have a nice and well thought out carrying case that keeps the unit operable while encased with features that make it easy to tie onto a ruck or other packing system.

JCIN
12-29-14, 07:25
I used a $200 Nikon for awhile and it was actually not too terrible for what it was. When I got to the point where I decided the precision game was something I wanted to stick with I picked up a Leupold Mk4 12-40 with mildot reticle and have been very happy with it. Its compact, rugged and does a great job for what I need a spotter for.

I do video production and photography for a living and a valuable lesson I learned long ago was to stick with industry standard gear. That is to look around at what people who do something for a living are using and use that. It may not always be the absolute best value or bleeding edge tech but it probably works pretty well and its usually easy to get support for it or sell if you decide to upgrade.

Titan74
12-29-14, 10:19
If the goal is to have a compact and rugged spotting scope with a FFP reticle then the Leupold Mk4 12-40x is a good choice IMO. The glass is not perfect but it's certainly good enough for target ID or seeing hits on target and the TMR reticle is very good for ranging (although I'd love to have the MSR reticle for it). This scope works very well in sniper/spotter use, but may not be what you want if you need to see .223 bullet holes on black paper from targets that are much more than 150 yds away. For that use I'd look at Swarovski scopes but they are not that compact and most of their scopes are without a reticle.

You'll also need a tripod. The smallest/lightest tripod that I have found that is of any use is the Slik Sprint Pro II (this is with the Leupold scope and prone position). Gitzo has several very good compact tripods, you can't go wrong with one. If you plan to use the scope while standing, you need a sturdy and tall tripod that will be much bigger than the scope anyway.

trinydex
01-02-15, 16:30
i just took a look at tactical tripods. goodness they're expensive.

SkiDevil
01-04-15, 12:34
anyone have anything new on spotting scopes?

I was passing by a discount Sporting Goods store last week and decided to look at their spotting scopes. They had 6 different models/ brands (all made in China). One of them was a Barska 20x60x60mm spotting scope. It came with a small bag and low-mount tripod for bench use at the range.

It was the best of the group and for $63 I decided to purchase it for close range use at 50 and 100 yards.

Well all I can say is that it works past 100 yards. I could very clearly see .22 caliber holes in a standard NRA small bore target at 100 yards on a clear sunny day. I didn't shoot at 200 yards but could see the bullet holes on two targets left up. Also, there were several plates hanging at 200 yards and I could clearly see the impact identations on the steel plates. I wouldn't ever believe it if I didn't see it first-hand.

I am pretty content with my $63 spotting scope but still plan on picking up a Kowa later for long range shooting. If you are looking for something to get you by then I would take a look at this scope. It is fairly compact and I just throw it on my rifle rest when using it to check targets. Also, I would say that the scope only works for me set at 20x. When set past at higher magnification then it is difficult to use, like most other budget scopes that I have tried.

Finally, my eyesight is good 20/20 and my understanding is that an individual's vision may be a factor in scope clarity. Set at 20x I had no problem looking through the scope with my shooting glasses. For under a hundred dollars, I was very surprised that the scope worked as well as it did.

Link: http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-barska-colorado-series-20-60x60-waterproof-straight-spotting-scope-with-tripod.html

ccoker
02-09-15, 07:11
I run the Mark 4 with inverted H32 on a Sniper Ops tactical tripod
great setup

We were shooting out to 1K on Saturday and it is nice spotting for someone with the Horus and being able to call their shots.
Especially with enough wind we were having to hold 4.5 mils into it with 308s

http://tacticalgunreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Leupold-Mark-4-h32-tactical-tripod.jpg