PDA

View Full Version : FNH Pistols?

Bobert0989
10-20-10, 05:35
I can't seem to find any recent information on here regarding the FNH line of handguns, most of it is from mid-2008, and a lot can change in that time.

What quality of build are the FNP's and FNX's? I really like the feel/ergo's of them, and I know the company makes a lot of parts for the MIL, and also own Browning, I believe?

Are these handguns worth the money? They seem a bit cheaper than the M&P's, and I like the capacity of them as well.

Just checking in!

Thanks

~Bobby

CQC.45
10-20-10, 08:01
They seem to get positive reiviews, though I do not own one. If you are looking for DA/SA, then the FN pistols are a good way to go if you dont want to throw down a ton of $$ on a HK...

Otherwise, I highly reccomend the M&P for stiker fired preferences

rubberneck
10-20-10, 08:04
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52852

If you are interested go to google and use their advance search engine type in FNX for this forum and you'll get a ton of info. Most forums search engines won't allow you to search for a three letter term but google will.

ChicagoTex
10-20-10, 08:43
Cursory evaluations indicate the FNXs are fairly good kit, though some don't care for the hammer-fired configuration in this day and age and a number of people who overall liked the gun still cited some ergonomic foibles (usually regarding operation of the ambi safety/decocker).

I've yet to see anyone truly run them long and hard, however (Glocks, SIGs, H&Ks, and M&Ps have ridiculously high round counts worth of customer eval behind them, the FNX is still too new for that).

I have three reservations towards them, one direct, two indirect:

1. There were reports of early FNPs basically destroying themselves simply from being shot. Either chipping slides or tearing up frames due, apparently, to incorrect fit. To their credit, however, I haven't seen a recent report of any such issue.

2. Lots of members of this forum and others have been dumping SCAR 16s they otherwise liked a great deal due to poor parts availability and support from FN - this would be just as unacceptable on a serious pistol as it is on a serious rifle.

3. a kaBoom! incident a couple years back with an FN FiveseveN was traced back to the gun firing it's 50,000PSI cartridge out of battery. To prove this was possible, several owners created YouTube videos demonstrating that the FiveseveN would fire as much as 1/8" out of battery. To the best of my knowledge, FN has completely failed to admit to this fault in their design, much less take any corrective measure against it in the future. If FN is content to have their FiveseveNs blow up in their customers' hands, why should I believe the FNX is safe?

And now you know everything I know...

Bobert0989
10-21-10, 02:15
Cursory evaluations indicate the FNXs are fairly good kit, though some don't care for the hammer-fired configuration in this day and age and a number of people who overall liked the gun still cited some ergonomic foibles (usually regarding operation of the ambi safety/decocker).

I've yet to see anyone truly run them long and hard, however (Glocks, SIGs, H&Ks, and M&Ps have ridiculously high round counts worth of customer eval behind them, the FNX is still too new for that).

I have three reservations towards them, one direct, two indirect:

1. There were reports of early FNPs basically destroying themselves simply from being shot. Either chipping slides or tearing up frames due, apparently, to incorrect fit. To their credit, however, I haven't seen a recent report of any such issue.

2. Lots of members of this forum and others have been dumping SCAR 16s they otherwise liked a great deal due to poor parts availability and support from FN - this would be just as unacceptable on a serious pistol as it is on a serious rifle.

3. a kaBoom! incident a couple years back with an FN FiveseveN was traced back to the gun firing it's 50,000PSI cartridge out of battery. To prove this was possible, several owners created YouTube videos demonstrating that the FiveseveN would fire as much as 1/8" out of battery. To the best of my knowledge, FN has completely failed to admit to this fault in their design, much less take any corrective measure against it in the future. If FN is content to have their FiveseveNs blow up in their customers' hands, why should I believe the FNX is safe?

And now you know everything I know...

Could the parts shortage be in part to the mass manufacturing for military right now? May that change with time (merely speculation...)?

Magic_Salad0892
10-21-10, 04:29
They aren't manufacturing any FNX pistols for the U.S. military, so I would suspect that parts availability is bad because of FNH's poor CS department.

ChicagoTex
10-21-10, 04:51
Could the parts shortage be in part to the mass manufacturing for military right now? May that change with time (merely speculation...)?

They aren't manufacturing any FNX pistols for the U.S. military, so I would suspect that parts availability is bad because of FNH's poor CS department.

Just to be sure we're all on the same page here: I am not personally aware of any parts availability problems specific to the FNX or any other FN pistol. I am merely carrying the conjecture that if it's nigh-impossible to get parts for SCARs, then parts availability for what it is supposed to be a fighting handgun from them may also be iffy.

If there is, in fact, parts availability problems with regards to the FNP or FNX pistols, then I think Magic Salad's theory is sound.

So that begs the question, is anyone here aware for a FACT that FN pistol parts availability is a problem? I want to be sure we don't carry my personal conjecture so far as to be treated as fact, as I am hardly an industry insider.

Magic_Salad0892
10-21-10, 05:06
Easy way to troubleshoot:

Look online and see how many dealers sites say that the SCAR or FNX pistols are ''IN STOCK''

G&R Tactical: No FNP Pistols/Parts. SCAR in stock. 5.56 NATO model.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=FNHU

Lawmans: No FNH products that I can find.

http://www.lawmens.net/manu.html

Impact Guns: My computer wont load their site. So I suspect what I'm about to say is speculation but - based on the last time I was there, looking for a SCAR-H or CQB variant, they had NO FNH products.

Gun Gallery: Once again, computer couldn't go to the site. What the ****...

Anyway - based on a quick Google search, nobody carries their stuff.

So lack of parts is probably poor CS, or they just don't really care about manufacturing these.

montanadave
10-21-10, 05:51

I have always received excellent service from Bob Ailes at FN. I own several FN rifles, a shotgun, and a FNP-45 (though I have not shot the pistol enough to offer any credible testimony as to it's reliability). When I have contacted Bob with a problem or concern, he has always responded quickly and taken care of the issue promptly.

Others may have had bad experiences with FN customer service, but mine has been great.

Skyyr
10-21-10, 10:55
I recently purchased an FNX-40 (got it as a gift for my brother) and did hours/days of research. Afterwards, I also considered getting the same gun for myself, doing even more research. This is what it all amounted to...

The FNX line is an evolution of the 9mm and .40 caliber FNP pistols to incorporate the better aspects of the .45 caliber model (the .45 caliber FNP is completely different/redesigned from the 9mm and .40 models). The most prominent features are an upgraded FCG, upgraded safety/decocker (old ones were prone to breaking), lower bore axis, full 1913 rail (the FNP's only had a single 1913 "slot"), and better checkering/grip on the frame.

The FNX also has a stainless slide and barrel, something those who are concerned with corrosion in EDC or harsh environments might appreciate. The black slide is also (blackened) stainless.

The gun also comes with THREE (3) magazines, which is a nice bonus and unheard of with most pistols. The magazines are VERY well designed. We've put about 300-400 rounds through the FNX so far; not much in terms of overall testing, but we had zero FTE's, FTF, etc. Even when purposely limp-wristed, we had no issues whatsoever. Further, the lockable hard case the gun comes with is very nice. It's custom-fitted to the FNX and it even has a cutout for the safety selector so that the gun MUST be on "safe" to fit it in the case. No, a case shouldn't be your determining factor when buying a gun, but it does show a lot of thought and quality went into the design.

In regards to issues, the earliest versions of the FCG had a faulty design where the firing action would not be completely supported by the slide and would be transferred into the frame and FCG parts and subsequently the FCG would fail over time. This was corrected during the 3rd redesign of the FCG and none of the newer guns have this issue. Aside from this, there were no major issues with the design.

As far as functionality and usage goes, I like to consider it a less-expensive version of the H&K USP. The gun handles similarly to a USP and has a very similar trigger pull (DA is firm until right before the break, where it has a slight amount of flex to it - SA is simply a pleasure to shoot). Same safety/decocker functions. It's also VERY accurate and, during with my limited range time with it, my best group at 15 yards was one ragged hole 1" hole. All in all, it's a copy of the USP (a proven combat pistol), it's simply new and unproven itself.

Now, in regards to CS, my brother was showing his gun to a friend and the friend hit the mag release and dropped the magazine onto asphalt, nicking the bottom of the magazine. Feeling guilty that it had happened (since I had suggested to the friend to take a look at it), I contacted FN CS and asked them about replacing the floor plate. They said they couldn't. At first, I was frustrated, but a few minutes on the phone and the CS agent explained that the guns are so new, and the user base so relatively small, that they don't have part numbers for many items. In the case of the magazine, they can only replace the entire magazine - they physically can't replace the floor plate because there's no part number to order it.

That said, that explains why the pistol isn't very common at gun shops and why few stores stock replacement parts: it's relatively new and with little support, aside from directly dealing with FN. They've also done virtually nothing to market it, instead focusing on their .mil contract weapons. My dealings with CS were very easy and they were very friendly, albeit I was frustrated from not being able to order a new floor plate.

All in all, for the money, I truly believe that there's no better pistol. Now, I'll admit I think the H&K USP is overall the greatest pistol of all time (there are pistols that do individual things better, but as a package I think it's unbeatable), so understand where I'm coming from.

If you're not on a budget and don't mind paying $200-400 more for an H&K, or you want to customize your pistol yourself, or you want wide parts and accessories support, it's not your best choice.

However, if you simply want a pistol designed for combat (time will tell if it indeed can meet that niche), can be carried cocked and locked, has a manual safety/decocker, 1913 rail... basically everything you'd find on a modern service pistol, and want to run the gun right out of the box... all without breaking the bank, then the FNX is for you. You can get them from $480 - $550 new from a reputable dealer (aka Glock prices).

operator81
10-21-10, 12:08
You can watch a great review of the FNX9 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wASizO_QB0s

Magic_Salad0892
10-21-10, 17:04
IMO, I said it before and I'll say it again.

It's a Glock for SIG guys, or vice versa.

That said, I won't own one, no reason for me.

I'll stick with my Glocks, and H&Ks.

Bobert0989
10-21-10, 19:03
IMO, I said it before and I'll say it again.

It's a Glock for SIG guys, or vice versa.

That said, I won't own one, no reason for me.

I'll stick with my Glocks, and H&Ks.

My comment about manufacturing for military earlier was taken out of context, I believe. I was only asking if the company is large enough to keep up with mass production of military weapons AND producing parts for the civilian populars as well... Only logically assuming that they are producing the crap outta military weapons right now, maybe they have slowed-up production of "non-essentials". Could be a CS issue, could be that they are flooded with other concerns. Neither is a "good excuse" for poor parts availability, but maybe it will get better in time.

That said, the "Sig-man's Glock" fits me perfectly, as I own a few Sig's, and love them ALL. Haven't personally owned an HK as of yet, but shot a couple in .45 (USP) and 9mm (USP compact). I think I will give the FNX 9mm a shot (or two) and see what comes of it. I like the fact they come with three mags, have the 1913 rail, and I just like the ergo's.

I just wanted to make sure they weren't hated here as badly as the XD's...

Thanks everyone!

~Bobby

kmrtnsn
10-21-10, 20:27
Bobby,

Having fired the FNP but not the FNX I can tell you that the FN pistols are nothing like the XD's although they hit the same price point; the FN is a much better pistol for the money. In a similar vein to posts above, in comparison to SIG pistols I have called the FN pistols the polymer pistol that SIG should have built. My only complaint against the FN pistol line is a lack of an alternative to the DA/SA trigger system and hammer drop safety but rumor is that FN is bring a pistol to the European market with a trigger to my liking, maybe we'll see it hear soon. I'd love an FN .45 with something akin to a LEM trigger group.

Good luck,

Ken

murphy j
10-21-10, 22:59
Bobby,

Having fired the FNP but not the FNX I can tell you that the FN pistols are nothing like the XD's although they hit the same price point; the FN is a much better pistol for the money. In a similar vein to posts above, in comparison to SIG pistols I have called the FN pistols the polymer pistol that SIG should have built. My only complaint against the FN pistol line is a lack of an alternative to the DA/SA trigger system and hammer drop safety

I used to own an FNP-9 and I wholeheartedly agree with the above. I'd also like to add that it's also one of the most accurate pistols I've ever owned. The only tighter groups I've gotten have been with custom 1911s that I've owned.

LHS
10-21-10, 23:44
I've heard some chatter about the polymer decocker/safety breaking off, and not being all that robust. Has anyone had any first-hand experience with this?

On the surface, the FNX-9 seems like everything I want in a CCW pistol: reasonable cost, reliable, accurate, and capable of both conventional DA/SA carry or Condition 1. As someone who shoots mainly Beretta 92s and 1911s, that appeals to me. The downside is the lack of holsters/accessories for it (though considering my daily carry gun is a Beretta Elite, I'm already in that boat), and the fact that it's not a proven design yet. If they turn out to be good kit, I'll happily buy two and work them into the carry rotation. That way I won't have to worry about my favorite 1911 or Beretta rusting away in a police evidence locker if I ever have to use it.

Pappabear
10-22-10, 07:34
Been very impressed with my FNP45. All in all, quite a pistol. Smoothest stock trigger on the planet. :p

Bobert0989
10-22-10, 19:24
I would really like to try out the FNP-45, as I have heard great things about them. But for now, only money enough for one, so the 9mm wins. Maybe in time I can try out the .45 as well.

I've got my eye on an FNX-9 with Stainless Slide right now (never really liked the look until recently), and at about $550 NEW, should be worth a shot.

Thanks all, I appreciate the information.

~Bobby

1_click_off
10-22-10, 20:52
I've heard some chatter about the polymer decocker/safety breaking off, and not being all that robust. Has anyone had any first-hand experience with this?

Yep, I was looking at the FNP9 without the safety, it had the decock but would not operate and the slide did not feel right when worked. The dealer disassembled it and sure enough the polymer around the decocker was split. This was only 5 months ago at a large chain store, so I don't think it was old stock.

Skyyr
10-23-10, 11:45
Yep, I was looking at the FNP9 without the safety, it had the decock but would not operate and the slide did not feel right when worked. The dealer disassembled it and sure enough the polymer around the decocker was split. This was only 5 months ago at a large chain store, so I don't think it was old stock.

The FNP is not the FNX. The FNX is continually being revised/improved when necessary, the FNP is not. The FNP is an old model and they are phasing it out, so any issues with the FNP will/would be resolved by addressing the issue on the FNX's design (which it was, as the decocker was redesigned on the FNX).

Again, the issue you described was well-known with the FNP and was addressed with the FNX design. The FNP's decocker also had a bad habit of becoming bent and breaking off entirely.

LHS
10-23-10, 17:18
The FNP is not the FNX. The FNX is continually being revised/improved when necessary, the FNP is not. The FNP is an old model and they are phasing it out, so any issues with the FNP will/would be resolved by addressing the issue on the FNX's design (which it was, as the decocker was redesigned on the FNX).

Again, the issue you described was well-known with the FNP and was addressed with the FNX design. The FNP's decocker also had a bad habit of becoming bent and breaking off entirely.

I hadn't heard of it happening with the FNP, but I had with the FNX, which was why I asked. I'll see if I can dig up the post, I believe it was from FN Forums, which are usually overly pro-FN. If they're complaining about it, chances are it's an issue :)

B52U
10-23-10, 23:09
I own an FNP-40 and it has been trouble free through 2000+ rounds. I consider it a good value for those that like DA/SA hammer fired pistols. Some early models (pre-2007) had a design issue with the fire control group where they would crack due to a cut-out-notch in the FCG wall. FN changed the design of the FCG and I haven't seen any reports since. Some pistols experience minor slide peening on the left side under the 'P' above the take down lever. Just a minor cosmetic issue similar to the peening you see on the bottom inside edges of a glock 22 slide where it wears to a certain extent then stops. I believe these issues have been addressed in the new FNX design. I have had no issues with the decocker's on the FNP and I don't particularly like the construction of newer FNX levers.

FNH will also be releasing a striker fired version called the FNS sometime soon.

Cazwell
01-07-11, 12:11
You can watch a great review of the FNX9 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wASizO_QB0s

That was a good review. Better than the others I've seen. All of the pics and vids of guys shooting the FNX taken from the strong hand side, so I haven't seen the thumbs placement on the pistol to see where and how it interacts with the decocker/safety.

I really like the pistol on paper, can't seem to find any range that has it for rent, although they all have it for sale.

Skyyr
01-07-11, 13:26
That was a good review. Better than the others I've seen. All of the pics and vids of guys shooting the FNX taken from the strong hand side, so I haven't seen the thumbs placement on the pistol to see where and how it interacts with the decocker/safety.

I really like the pistol on paper, can't seem to find any range that has it for rent, although they all have it for sale.

CDNN has them on sale for $499 shipped right now. Buy it, and if you don't like it, sell it for $450 with a minimal loss. If you're seriously considering it, now's the time to buy one.

Irish10
01-07-11, 18:30
Last year I almost bought a FNP in 357sig but a bit of research turned up the same things listed here already. A poor CS department, non-availability of parts, virtually no after market parts support and numerous issues that although seemed minor led me to believe that FNs full attention is on military/govt sales and not private indivduals. No Thanks and on another note have you even heard of a PD issuing or authorizing a FN product ? Must be a reason for that since their pricing isn't too bad.

Nra-Life-Member
01-07-11, 22:29
Check out this forum..

http://fnforum.net/

I have several FN 45's USP model - Excellent Pistols..