PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for next AR

Nevermiss
10-20-10, 12:40
OK..This is kind of a lame post, but things are slow at work and I have a lower that needs something to go with it.

I'm just looking for some original ideas and to learn what some of you think would be a good next addition to the family.

I just shoot for recreation (not LE or MIL).

Here's what I've got so far JP CTR-02 and LRP-07-for 3 Gun
Noveske 16" Recce
Noveske 6.8 12.5" SBR with suppressor
Awaiting Noveske 300 BLK SBR-Once they start making uppers

Here is what I am thinking about next
BCM 12.5" 5.56 SBR
BCM 14.5" 5.56
Some type of lightweight 5.56 build-non SBR build
Another 7.62 (JP, LMT, KAC, build from Mega Lower/Upper, LaRue, ?)-This would be a complete new rifle
Large Bore (450 BM or 458 SOCOM-I don't reload so I don't know how much I would actually go out and shoot this though)
Another 6.8 in either a 16" or 18" barrel

All thought and opinions are welcomed and appreciated!

300WM
10-27-10, 19:35
dude, you about to open Pandora's Box and a new can of worms all at once

socalav
10-27-10, 20:38
7.62 LMT!!!!

MistoGators
10-28-10, 07:41
-sbr
-LMT .308
-SCAR .308
-9mm build
-dedicated .22

Between those choices, I'd go with an sbr (BCM 11.5").

Edit: AR pistols are fun to shoot, but they're not very practical.

Col_Crocs
10-28-10, 08:47
Here's what I've got so far JP CTR-02 and LRP-07-for 3 Gun
Noveske 16" Recce
Noveske 6.8 12.5" SBR with suppressor
Awaiting Noveske 300 BLK SBR-Once they start making uppers

You have these so far? Not familiar with these so I looked them up. Please correct me if Im wrong... The LRP is a .308 and the CTR-02 a 16 midlength? How are these currently configured?
How is your Noveske Recce configured and what role does it perform for you?
I ask because Im trying to understand where your new build fits into your current set. You have a pretty wide range from a 12.5 SBR to a 14.5 midlength, all the way up to 7.62 and large bore... What is the purpose of your new build? It would help us suggest the right parts and configs if we knew what you intend to do with this new rifle.

genegoesfast
10-28-10, 11:14
More specifics on "recreation" would be good.

Nevermiss
10-28-10, 17:38
I use the JPs for 3 Gun.

The Noveske Recce is the Magpul Lower Limited Edition and it was an impulse buy. I don't shoot it that much, because I usually shoot my CTR-02 for 3 gun.

The Noveske 6.8 12.5" is a home defense option.

The 300 Blackout sounds like a great round for plinking with, especially shooting suppressed subsonic loads and could also be a defense option, which is why I will be getting this as well.

"Recreation" is really 3 Gun and punching holes in paper. I would like to take a some carbine courses in the next couple years, but between work and family, it's hard to get away as much as I'd like.

I appreciate the in depth questions to help provide a more qualified answer to my question, but this isn't intended to get into too much detail.

I'm just curious what most of you would like to have for your next AR or what you may already have and enjoy (no matter what the reason or need) that I don't already have .

Even a response like "I would get a pink AR because my daughter likes to shoot pink guns". I'm mostly looking for new ideas or interested in just hearing what you like an why.

The more I think about it, I think a BCM 5.56 14.5" midlength with a Troy Extreme or VTAC rail and battlecomp would be a nice lightweight build, because nothing I have now is lightweight.

Col_Crocs
10-28-10, 18:00
Ya, if you want to go LW, the BCM 14.5 middy and TRX-E would be a good option. Im looking at this as a beater/course taking carbine for you so for optics, a T-1 and wait for the new MBUS for your BUIS. Get an A5 stock kit or RE-10 with an A5 buffer+rifle spring and use the stock of your choice(wont fully collapse though). Ofcourse, a good GI LPK or G-SSA.

500grains
10-28-10, 20:02
I hereby vote for:

Some type of lightweight 5.56 build-non SBR build

How about a KISS with MOE furniture?

A gun which weighs 6 lbs. or less sure is fun.

danpass
10-28-10, 22:46
I didn't see a 20in .... ?

How about trying a hand at hipower competition? (20in)

DHart
10-29-10, 07:33
What 6.8 do you have now? The idea of a 6.8 appeals to me, but then again I only have 5.56 myself.

How do you use/like your current 6.8?