PDA

View Full Version : Scope options for a SAM-R / SDM-R / SPR?

danpass
10-20-10, 17:05
I originally started off with a Bushnell 3200 10x with mildots.

The scope was ok overall but I'm looking for something different.

Two things I liked were the 1/4moa fingertip adjustments and mildots.

The ideal scope would be the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 x 32 Compact but I'm not spending (yet lol) $1500 for JUST a scope.

So I'm at $300-$400 for a scope, either fixed 10x or adjustable like the NF.

Thanks.

Alex V
10-21-10, 10:51
Just started using the Nightforce 2.5-10x32 on my recent SPR build, I have nothing to compare it to since its my first scope but man is it nice. lol

What about the Nikon M-223 3-12 x42? It can come with a BDC for .223 as well and just over $400.

I have no experience with Nikon scopes but I use Nikon D-SLR's and lenses and their class is very very good.

Cobra66
10-21-10, 11:39
In that price range I'd take a good look at either the Leupold Mark AR series or the Nikon M-223 Series. Both are probably going to give you one of the best scopes for the money and both have reticles and BDCs calibrated for 5.56. SWAT magazine has reviewed both and has had positive things to say.

I just purchased a Mark AR 3x9 and while I have not shot it yet, it looks very nice. Main reason I didn't go with the Nikon is that this scope will be going on a .308 and I wanted a Mil Dot reticle.

I have also had good luck with my Burris Widefield 2x7 scope. They make a "tactical" version of this scope as well but I don't know exactly what the differences are. I like the Buriplex reticle (which is certainly good out the the range of the Mini14 it sits on), the glass is nice (not as nice as on my new Leupold though), and it didn't break the bank. This scope is made in the Philippines but is backed by Burris.

These may not come close to a nice Leupold Mark 4, NightForce or 1st Tier Euro scope, but they are not bottom feeding "hobbiest" scopes either.

DMR
10-21-10, 12:44
Take a look at the SWFA Super Sniper 3x9 (http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx). They list at $599 and have several nice features like a First Focal Mil-Dot. I have the Nightforce compact on two of my rifles. A 1x4 and 2.5x10, nice but they sure hurt when I bought them.

The last USMC optic specification I had was this:
Scope, Leupold Mark-4 2.5-8x36mm MR/T M2

TehLlama
10-21-10, 15:55
In your price range, it's really hard to beat the Bushnell you already had. To get the mil-dot and small increment turrets, in a quality variable scope is going to be a bit pricier.

The Leupold ans SWFA 3-9x options are good looking, but I'm curious what ways the 3200 didn't fit your needs, and then work from there.

Turnkey11
10-21-10, 21:34
Take a look at the SWFA Super Sniper 3x9 (http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx). They list at $599 and have several nice features like a First Focal Mil-Dot.

For your budget this would be my pick. If I were you however Id save for a US Optics SN-3 1.5-10x or something similar, with the selling point being the lowest possible magnification setting that I could find in a variable optic.

danpass
10-21-10, 21:44
In your price range, it's really hard to beat the Bushnell you already had. To get the mil-dot and small increment turrets, in a quality variable scope is going to be a bit pricier.

The Leupold ans SWFA 3-9x options are good looking, but I'm curious what ways the 3200 didn't fit your needs, and then work from there.

I had challenges with the eye relief, even after messing with the mount several times. Seemed to be a razor thin variable in distance. My first real scope though so I'm not certain how typical that is.

It was a bit dark also IMO. (edit: my comparison is an ACOG I once shot)

The SWFA 10x looks good. I like that '10' factor so it would be nice if the 3-9 was 3-10 even so, at $600, it moves my purchase time further down the road.

There were no options for a sunshade (other than making one) with the Bushnell.

And it was just ..... big. The size is another thing I like about the NF lol

Warg
11-04-10, 12:33
There are very few options at your price point that are worth a damn other than the SS and your Bushnell. One I'd recommend is the Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3-10x40 at $299 on sale from Midway USA. It features a mildot reticle with mil/mil turrets and has received favorable reviews: Sniper's Hide review (http://www.snipershide.com/2010/08/weaver-grand-slam-3-10x-tactical/); Sniper Central review (https://www.snipercentral.com/weavergslam.phtml).

I've chucked my Nikon Monarch on my 6.8 hunting AR in favor of this scope, but haven't used it enough to properly post an informative comparison. The glass appears to be very good and I cannot really tell the difference between the two.

TAZ
11-04-10, 15:16
I think one the questions that you should ask yourself before spending any money is what you wish to do with the rifle. If you want to sit in a static position and shoot for groups you're going to need one thing. If you want to use the thing in close and still be able to get hits at distance you will need something else.