PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Buffer on a Gas Piston?

rattlesnake
10-20-10, 17:54
I am wondering what's the heaviest buffers being ran on gas piston systems? The Osprey website says to use a carbine buffer, but I am wanting to try a H or H2. I am wanting to try heavier buffers on both .556 and 5.45x39 ars with osprey ops-416s. Any info would be appreciated.

Whootsinator
10-20-10, 18:03
Buy or borrow a few and test them. It's the only way to be sure. BCM recommends using, and ships, a CAR buffer with their 14.5in middy, however others on this board have proven an H3 is reliable enough with full pressure 5.56 ammo, and an H2 is suitable for all ammo tested. Computer components manufacturers sell their parts at certain levels. The end user can boost those levels (called overclocking), against the manufacturer's recommendation, and get more performance as long as they don't go too far (very simplistic explanation, but wanted to make sure everyone would get it). See what I'm getting at?

Just because a company recommends 'X', doesn't mean 'Y' won't be better. It just means the company feels safe with X.

rattlesnake
10-20-10, 18:10
Buy or borrow a few and test them. It's the only way to be sure. BCM recommends using, and ships, a CAR buffer with their 14.5in middy, however others on this board have proven an H3 is reliable enough with full pressure 5.56 ammo, and an H2 is suitable for all ammo tested. Computer components manufacturers sell their parts at certain levels. The end user can boost those levels (called overclocking), against the manufacturer's recommendation, and get more performance as long as they don't go too far (very simplistic explanation, but wanted to make sure everyone would get it). See what I'm getting at?

Just because a company recommends 'X', doesn't mean 'Y' won't be better. It just means the company feels safe with X.

Yes, I just don't wanna buy multiple buffers. I wanna buy 2. Thats why I'm wondering what people are using with gas pistons. Especially the osprey. One is a bcm carbine 14.5, and the other a s&w 5.45x39 carbine 16

Iraqgunz
10-20-10, 18:44
rattlesnake,

You won't get a solid answer because the systems can vary. Mine uses an H buffer. I didn't see a need to try anything else.

Whootsinator
10-20-10, 18:44
You may consider investing in a whole set of buffers (CAR through H3 at least) to test your rifle with, and anything you'll ever build in the future. Of course whether that would be worth it or not would depend on how many rifles you plan to build (+1, because you have to have one more :sarcastic:). If you don't want to buy, go find someone near you that will go to the range with you for a test.

rattlesnake
10-20-10, 19:21
Yeah, I'd like to try some different buffers. Everyone I know has carbine buffers, so thats not an option. I was just wondering what other people are using. No big deal. My guns run fine with car buffers. I'll save my money

C4IGrant
10-20-10, 19:34
As a general rule, you use an H2 buffer. Most piston system are over gassed so I would look at an H3 as well.

C4

Boss Hogg
10-20-10, 21:15
I'd also look at Sprinco's "Red" buffer spring, and Vltor's A5/Emod system.

rattlesnake
10-20-10, 21:30
Thanks. I am leaning toward the spikes heavy buffers and the red springs. I was just wondering what people were actually using.

rattlesnake
10-25-10, 20:29
I picked up a spikes heavy buffer today. I will try it on both rifles. If it works I'll buy another. Does anyone here have a osprey gas piston? Have you tried heavier buffers?

The_Hammer_Man
10-25-10, 21:42
I've installed over 25x Ospreys in the last 2 yrs on different patrol rifles.

Most of the local pd's are either using Hornady .223/55gr TAP or 60grTAP in both 5.56 and .223.

The 55gr hardly needs anything besides a standard buffer. Some, not all, of the guys have found that an H or an H-2 works very well with the 60gr TAP.

Note: The above mentioned rifles are ALL carbine length gassers.. not middies or rifle length.

The red spring idea sounds good but causes more trouble then it's worth.

Use a standard recoil buffer spring and either an H or an H-2 with the Osprey carbine length kit.

Use a standard recoil spring and a stock buffer or an H buffer with the midlength kit.

Use a standard rifle buffer for the rifle length kit.

These are MY recommendations... not Osprey's! These recommendations are based on my experience with the Osprey product line.

Your mileage WILL vary. No two AR-15's are the same, period.

Edited to add: I've used H-3 buffers on a few REALLY over gassed carbines.. but they're the exception.. not the rule!

steven58
10-25-10, 21:46
I've been running a Spikes ST-T2 heavy buffer in my POF. I'm at 800 rounds so far and Its running great and feels very smooth.

The_Hammer_Man
10-25-10, 21:54
I've been running a Spikes ST-T2 heavy buffer in my POF. I'm at 800 rounds so far and Its running great and feels very smooth.

A POF isn't a retrofitted carbine setup like what's being discussed here.

The POF is a "complete" weapon system built around their proprietary piston setup.

The Osprey Defense kit is a retrofit kit you use to replace the stock gas tube and bolt carrier.

It's my personal favorite of all the retrofit kits.

rattlesnake
10-25-10, 22:21
Thanks. I am going to try it in the .556 bcm lightweight carbine 14.5 w/ ops-416. I am thinking it will run fine. Also since osprey says the gas is metered before entering the piston chamber I am thinking a heavy buffer would work for any approved calibers?

The_War_Wagon
10-25-10, 22:24
I run an H2, as well as Dave Tubbs' SSS flatwire buffer spring, in my POF-415. Runs well in hot & cold weather. :cool:

The_Hammer_Man
10-25-10, 22:38
Thanks. I am going to try it in the .556 bcm lightweight carbine 14.5 w/ ops-416. I am thinking it will run fine. Also since osprey says the gas is metered before entering the piston chamber I am thinking a heavy buffer would work for any approved calibers?

Probably... and I say that advisedly due the fact that there will be variances.

If it was me personally, I'd have a stock buffer and an H and H-2 to try with different bullet weights and ammunition manufacturers.

Example:With Tula/Wolf ammo I HAVE to use a stock buffer and a REALLY wimpy spring to get my 14.5" middy to cycle reliably.

With 62gr. M855 from either Winchester or Federal I run a normal buffer spring and an H buffer.

With 75-77gr. OTBT ammo, such as Hornady or SSA, I run a normal spring and an H-2 so reduce my barrel jump to nearly zero.

Bigger bullets create bigger resultant reactions in the rifle and the shooter. Old Isaac was right about all the "equal and opposite" stuff.

You're mileage WILL vary.. sometimes considerably.

rattlesnake
10-26-10, 16:55
Thanks for the helpful info. I am not messing with springs now. I'll try the spikes buffer and see how that works. The guns run fine with car buffers. I'm just trying to optimize, plus i'm bored.

The_Hammer_Man
10-26-10, 17:42
Thanks for the helpful info. I am not messing with springs now. I'll try the spikes buffer and see how that works. The guns run fine with car buffers. I'm just trying to optimize, plus i'm bored.

A note about using the Osprey with 6.8 spc and the "russian twins"(5.45 and 7.62x39).

This is the one and only time you'll hear me recommending using a "red" or "extra-power" spring in a carbine length extension.

For my 6.8 carbine I use a CS "red" spring and an H-3.

Same for my 7.62x39 upper.

My 5.45x39 doesn't require a extra power but I use it to reduce my felt recoil.

steven58
10-26-10, 18:21
A POF isn't a retrofitted carbine setup like what's being discussed here.

The POF is a "complete" weapon system built around their proprietary piston setup.

The Osprey Defense kit is a retrofit kit you use to replace the stock gas tube and bolt carrier.

It's my personal favorite of all the retrofit kits.

Well, in my case, it's not that "complete". My set up is a POF upper on an LMT lower. If my experience is helpful to the OP all well and good, if not ...

rattlesnake
10-27-10, 19:18
Any input, and info is helpful, and greatly appreciated. pofs adams ospreys, I wanna know about all of them.

hjmpanzr
10-27-10, 20:02
H2 on all my pistons (conversion and otherwise). However, just got the Vltor A5 and going to try that out.

dwhitehorne
10-28-10, 16:53
I have an ARES conversion on my Stag. I have a H3 in it right now. Just last week I pulled the H3 apart and made a H2 and H. I already had a carbine and 9mm buffer. I tried all different types and even the 9mm buffer worked without problems. I put the H3 back together and have that in it now. I am waiting for some cold weather to try out some Wolf to see if it works any different in the cold. I imagine the Stag and the piston conversion is overgassed anyway so the heavy buffer seems to calm the weapon down a bit. I will say I didn't see much of a difference in the 9mm and H2 buffer so I may go back to the H2 anyway. David

CarlosDJackal
10-28-10, 17:11
FWIW, I have been running an H3 buffer with a Tubbs CS flatwire action spring in all my piston guns (LWRC 10.5" M6A1 and 12.7" M6A3). This setup seems to work fine even with underpowered ammo (IE: Wolf, Fiocchi 55g, Tula, etc.).

rattlesnake
10-31-10, 10:22
Yesterday, I put 120 rounds down range, with my 14.5 lightweight bcm carbine, with osprey ops-416 gas piston. I put the spikes heavy buffer in. 100 federal 55gn, and 20 tula 55gn, and I gotta say its a smooth shooting s.o.b.. Fed all perfectly, including the last 20 which were tula. The felt recoil is noticably much lighter. I will be going back to bmc tactical here in Albuquerque Nm, to buy another spikes heavy buffer for my S&W 5.45x39 with osprey ops-416. I'll report back on how well it tames the 5.45 gas piston. All the info was very helpful and appreciated. Thanks to everyone who replied on this thread.