PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight blanket advice

SoDak
10-20-10, 22:53
I've been thinking a durable, lightweight blanket might be a handy thing to have for hiking and keeping in my truck. I saw some people talking about how they liked using USGI poncho liners for this purpose in the sleep system thread and the poncho liner seems like a good candidate. On the other hand I see Cabelas has this blanket.space blanket (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sportsmans-Space-Blankets/713345.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D1100668%26Ne%3D1100668%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dblanket%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchall%26WTz_st%3DSearchRefinements%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dblanket%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=blanket) I like the idea that this one would suffice as a tarp, plus I could probably get one at my local Cabelas. Anyone have an opinion on which might be better?

Ak44
10-20-10, 23:32
Get both haha they aren't too pricey.

EchoMirage
10-21-10, 01:46
get a space blanket, or several. they probably insulate better then nearly anything else, and have more uses then just a poncho liner. it can be a tarp, ground cover, gear cover, rain fly, overhead cover, etc. waterproof, windproof. only thing is id imagine since they are mylar, they dont breathe at all, and if wrapped up when its extremely cold, you could get quite a bit of condensation on the inside.

huklbrry
10-21-10, 10:58
You could always wrap up the space blanket in the woobie(poncho liner). A USGI wool blanket is also a good thing to have as well as it will insulate even when wet. If you do go with the space blanket, get the heavy duty, reusable ones. They go for about 12-15 bucks or so. Stay away from the thin mylar ones as they tear easily even though they are marketed as "reusable". 3mil. 55 gal. drum liners are also good to have, weigh virtually nothing, and have many uses (insulation included).

Two is one, and one is none.

Iraq Ninja
10-21-10, 12:13
If you can afford it, the Kifaru Woobie is much better than the USGI poncho liner. It is warmer, packs smaller, and feels much nicer.

http://www.kifaru.net/images/Woobie_main.jpg

SoDak
10-21-10, 12:51
If you can afford it, the Kifaru Woobie is much better than the USGI poncho liner. It is warmer, packs smaller, and feels much nicer.

http://www.kifaru.net/images/Woobie_main.jpg

Looks nice, but I'd say it's a bit out of my price range for now. I'm thinking right now I might try to pick up a regular poncho liner and maybe try the sportsman's space blanket later. My local Cabelas had one, but it felt a little lite. It looks like it's miles ahead of those potato chip bag space blankets, but I can't imagine it would insulate very well considering it's so thin. It does look like it would make a nice lightweight tarp for a shelter though.

LonghunterCO
10-24-10, 18:01
I have a space blanket, have had it for years now. It occompanies me and most of my outings. I typicall use is on the inside of my tent (reflective material facing up) with a thremarest on top of that and then me in my bag on top.
They are very durable. Way above the the standard/mylar spaceblanket in durability, but do not pack anyway near as small. After all these years I only have one small hole in it (that I patched with 100mph tape). With this all said I would not want to have it as my only wrap. Maybe down south, but that would not fly out here and at altitude.

Belmont31R
10-24-10, 18:08
You wont beat a poncho liner for size, warmth, and price.

ra2bach
10-24-10, 20:57
after a recent surgery, I woke up covered in a silvery spaceblanket type sheet that was very warm and soft feeling. not like the typical space blanket Mylar feeling at all. I googled the name and it is a called Thermoflect with the website thermoflect dot com...

http://www.thermoflect.com/images/Blankets.gif

in my drug induced flirting, I was able to convince my nurse (who was old enough to be my grandmother) to get me one to take home.

I love it, it is very warm and folds down very flat and I keep it in my go bag. I am wanting to get more but so far, no luck sourcing a dealer.
short of doing larceny at the local ER, anyone have any leads on this?

SoDak
10-24-10, 21:58
Two final questions about the poncho liner. How compact can they be folded up and would it be worth finding a new one or is there nothing wrong with a used one?

kmrtnsn
10-24-10, 22:14
Poncho liners are basically a quilt with a thin nylon outer and hollowfill insulation sandwiched in between, meant to convert a poncho into an impromptu sleeping bag. They are not water or windproof and will not keep you are warm if exposed to the elements as a poncho itself or a space blanket. Some of the newer fleece fabrics are much better in this regard and several manufacturers are making blankets from the material but it is still bulky.

Iraq Ninja
10-24-10, 23:24
Today, the only real advantage of the poncho liner is the price. I don't think the design has changed much since I was first issued one in 1978... maybe the filling was updated?

A used liner will be broken in, and not stiff like a new one.

Quilting is required for the filling, and the new modern fibers do not require quilting. Thus, you get more air inside and thus more warm. It also means the liner will drape to your body better, holding the warm air better. Sadly, the issued liners remain quilted.

If you can afford the kifaru woobie, give it a try. It blows away the current issued poncho liners.

Wiggys also sells a poncho liner, but I have never tried it. It is about half the price of the kifaru..

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=197

Armati
10-30-10, 22:48
Honestly, experiment for your self. Try spending the night (pick the weather you are most concerned with) in a space blanket and a 'cho liner.

Personally, I think a space blanket is best used to MEDEVAC a casualty and as a heat reflector for your survival fire. Keep a space blanket in my blow out kit.

I have used a poncho liner for years to good effect. It is not a sleeping bag but if you stay completely dressed, put on your 'skullie' and wrap up in the 'cho liner you will be ok even in the cold wet. At worst, you will wake up shivering, get warm, go back to sleep because you are too tired to care, and wake up shivering again. Hopefully you can catch a few z's during the middle of the day. For price and performance it can't be beat.

If you have the coin the Kifaru Woobie seems awesome. But, I would be pissed if it got melted by a fire or roughed up by rocks and roots. What price do you put on being warm and dry?

I also like a USGI wool blanket and a big old cheap fleece blanket from Walmart. But these things are more for your mountain retreat or for keeping in the trunk of your car.

Dirk Williams
10-31-10, 00:00
Many many years ago some folks taught me to sew a wool blanket into a poncho. After you cut the head hole and size and sew the blanket inside the poncho, you have to wax or water proof the sewing stitches.

However this set up was very effective down in the 30/32degree range plus you could squat in water or get soaking wet and the wool would keep you warm.

Ive found that the liners and other applications are lighter but not as warm in as many applications. Especially if its wet or very wet.

Down side was weight is you did get the poncho/blanket wet. if it got wet take it off ring it out and put it back on. I still use one to this day.

Im not sold on the newer is better mantra.

Good luck
D Williams

usmcvet
10-31-10, 00:05
Travel light freeze at night. One of the worst nights of sleep I ever had was when I foolishly packed only my Cho liner and poncho. I came from bootcamp in PISC to my first drill in Northern NH in September. Not a good move. I have a poncho liner and a wool blanket in my truck. The wool blanket was cheaper and warmer but heavier.

Von Rheydt
10-31-10, 10:00
Theres a thinsulate pocho liner out there that gives more warmth than the older one.

I like poncho liners as an underblanket for my hammock.

usmcvet
10-31-10, 10:12
Von

I tried looking for the thinsulate cho liner. US Cavalry used to sell them. I could not find them last year when I looked.

Dirk Williams
10-31-10, 12:35
I was looking at my poncho this morning, it's in sad sad shape. I forgot to mention that the poncho was one of the older thicker ones in plain green, I don't remember if it was army or marine issue.

I also don't know if you could sew a wool blanket into a newer one, they seem very light and may not hold up like this one, which is now 25 years old.

As I recall some of the older rangers had a sort of foam pad also sewn into the rear so when they sit on cold ice or snow they had a bit of insolation between them and the object they were sitting on. Maybe a 10x 10x 1 thick piece of a sleeping mat or equivilant.

After reading this thread Im going to purchase and sew a couple new ones for my e kit and under the rear seat of my truck

D Williams

D Williams

Ross
11-01-10, 04:23
A poncho liner is good stuff, but only so good. The space-blanket works by refelcting heat. It doesn't insulate at all, and the surface of it can be cold if that's all you're using. A good trick is because the space blanket has gromets in the corners, put it between your poncho and liner and use the liner ties to hold it in place. Then you get the poncho outside to stop wind, rain, etc. the space blanket to reflect heat, and the inner liner to stay comfy an have some insulation. It's not a perfect fit, but with the liner laces you can work it out well enough.

You can also do the same trick with a wool or fleece blanket. Buy one of those gromet kits they sell in the sporting goods camping section and put gromets in the appropriate places on the blanket and use the poncho liner laces to tie them into your poncho. That's a pretty warm combination, and you can use each item separately as well. Wool's kinda heavy, but fleece is pretty light, and they sell it at fabric stores if you can't find the right size blanket. The only problem is finding high quality fleece. Alot of it is pretty cheap stuff, but even that might work depending on what you need.

Von Rheydt
11-01-10, 07:01
Von

I tried looking for the thinsulate cho liner. US Cavalry used to sell them. I could not find them last year when I looked.

Hi, I got mine a while back in UK, did'nt know they had stopped making them. I did remember seeing something recently though and had a quick look through my favourite links:

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=197

There is also a Norwegian or Finnish thing that is used by a few SF units in Europe. I'll see if I can get its details from a mate.

Von Rheydt
11-01-10, 07:38
Found the info: It's Norwegian, called a FJELLDUK.

http://www.helsport.no/en/product/HIKING_GEAR/Hiking_Gear_products/Fjellduk

Mo_Zam_Beek
11-06-10, 15:48
FWIW - I spent a couple of nights in the back of a pickup this September with just a Doobie. I just had it over me like a blanket - not doubled up, wore a pair wool socks, cotton sweat pants, a long sleeve T shirt, and a thin fleece hat. Temps were in the low 40's / high 30's and heavy dew in morning. I was toasty.

If I was up off the ground, dressed the same, wrapped up in both the doobie and a tarp, 30 degrees (maybe a little less) - I think I would still be comfy. (I am a pretty warm sleeper).

The Wiggys probably deserves a look too.

Good luck

Jim D
11-26-10, 12:36
I've been thinking a durable, lightweight blanket might be a handy thing to have for hiking and keeping in my truck.

You gotta ask yourself, what's the application?

If you're putting it in a truck for a "stranded and my vechicle won't move" survival item, you don't need anything water/wind proof...that's what the truck cab is for.

If it's for hiking...when are you packing a blanket but not a sleeping bag?

Everyone sleeps at different temperatures, and some people are naturally warmer than others. I've watched guys break trail on fresh snowfall in a Maine winter, bare-chested...while I followed behind them in a down jacket and shivered.

At night, I've shivered in a 0 degree bag in a bivy sack when it was 20 degree's outside...then on another trip watched a chick shiver in a -20 bag when it was 30 degree's that night. Other guys were comfortable in 20 degree bags that same night.

Individual metabolism, natual insulation (skinny vs. fat), exaustion level, ground insulation, how aclimated you are to the env. and plenty of other factors all play a role.

You need to come up with your own understanding of what's "warm enough" for you. If I'm acclimated to the conditions (been spending a lot of time outside in those conditions already) then I need a bag rated about 10 degree's warmer than the true temp.

Bottom line, don't take anyone else's word on what's "warm enough" for them. Test it out yourself before you trust it working for you.

Lost River
11-27-10, 20:57
I have a couple of the Wiggy's Lamilite blanket/poncho liners.
I usually travel with one.

Here is a pic of one I was using as a bedspread while overseas. They are substantially warmer than the older issue poncho liners. You can fold them in half and tie off the ends to make a makeshift sleeping bag, or tie two together for a roomy version. They were a good purchase and I use them at home fairly regularly.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/001.jpg

tracker722
11-28-10, 17:01

LonghunterCO
11-28-10, 19:42
To make a standard poncho liner more versatile, try a Ranger Rick's poncho liner conversion kit. What it does is change it to a lightweight sleeping bag AND allows it to be used as a real liner to a poncho while worn.

Ranger Rick?

usmcvet
11-28-10, 19:47
Ranger Rick. That brings back memories of some kids magazine Boy Scouts? I'm pretty sure be meant Ranger Joe's.

SoDak
11-28-10, 20:09
I think he meant this Ranger Rick.
http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=19176&tabid=548

usmcvet
11-28-10, 20:14
I think you're right. It makes more sense than this Ranger Rick :

http://www.nwf.org/Kids/Ranger-Rick.aspx

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 20:16
I doubt you would find a USGI poncho liner at a cheaper price with a product that works as well, being machine washable, and as durable. Ive been using the same one since 2005, and it still works and looks like new. Even my wife still curls up in it when it gets cool in the house.

Maybe combine something like a west german wool blanket with a USGI poncho liner. Very thin vet would be very warm.

tracker722
11-29-10, 09:26

Lost River
11-30-10, 08:28
Sportsmans Guide has a pretty good deal on the standard poncho liner right now. $22 bucks. They are not even close to as warm as the Wiggys version, but sometimes the Wiggys is too warm. One of each would be reasonable.

Dave L.
11-30-10, 09:20
Sportsmans Guide has a pretty good deal on the standard poncho liner right now. $22 bucks. They are not even close to as warm as the Wiggys version, but sometimes the Wiggys is too warm. One of each would be reasonable.

$22 for a true USGI poncho liner or is it a Chi-com knockoff?
If it's a brand new USGI, that's a good deal.
Can you post the link?

RAM Engineer
11-30-10, 09:46
$22 for a true USGI poncho liner or is it a Chi-com knockoff?
If it's a brand new USGI, that's a good deal.
Can you post the link?

Looks like the real deal, but quality seconds (or "blems" as the AR makers like to call them).

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=372697

Lost River
12-01-10, 12:27
I ordered one of the SG irregular poncho liners. I will use it for a bit then check back in with comments.

RAM Engineer
12-05-10, 15:49
Sorry, I've been away. This is exactly the one I was referring to. Been using it as a lightweight emergency bag for mountain tracking for about 11 years now. Works great and no complaints.

Does anyone still sell those Ranger Rick poncho liner conversions? I can't find them anywhere.

Lost River
12-11-10, 05:49
I have used the sportsmans guide "irregular" gov issued one for a couple of night now. It needs a couple of washes to soften up just a little bit, but it works fine. Not nearly as insulating as my Wiggys poncho liners. The wiggys is better for colder conditions, the sportsmans guide surplus one is better for a hooch blanket or similar uses.

BTW, I could find nothing "irregular" about the surplus poncho liner from SG.

K.L. Davis
12-11-10, 09:20
Does anyone still sell those Ranger Rick poncho liner conversions? I can't find them anywhere.

I have not seen them for a long time... but the kit was just a couple of zippers that you sewed in yourself - here is a good source for zippers (http://www.seattlefabrics.com/zippers.html).

Measure what you have, you will need a 108" to 120" zipper.

Another good product that I recently picked up for my shop is the Micro-Fiber blanket, it is tough, lightweight, warm and packs pretty well - they are about one yard wide and two yards long and fold up to about the size of a DVD case.

RAM Engineer
12-12-10, 10:11
Another good product that I recently picked up for my shop is the Micro-Fiber blanket, it is tough, lightweight, warm and packs pretty well - they are about one yard wide and two yards long and fold up to about the size of a DVD case.

Do you have a link? Sounds interesting.

K.L. Davis
12-16-10, 18:46
Do you have a link? Sounds interesting.

Well it certainly took me long enough!

http://aquamira.com/preparedness/new-ati-microfiber-emergency-blanket/

Suwannee Tim
12-16-10, 19:29
One thing for damn sure, nothing beats and electric blanket IF you have electricity available.:D I spend five or so weeks a year in a tent and only leave the electric blanket home in the summer and when there is no electricity. Even in spring and fall it takes the chill off the pallet before bedtime and in the morning after I am up it drives off a lot of the accumulated condensation. Dry bedding is much more comfortable bedding than wet bedding. I am traveling by car or canoe so weight is not an issue. Lacking electricity, an old sleeping bag is a good blanket.

RogerinTPA
12-16-10, 19:52
I don't know what period that poncho liners became know as gay ass "woobies", but we need to start a world wide campaign to reverse this trend.

JB2000
12-16-10, 22:09
Almost every version of emergency blanket I have used retains more moisture than heat. They are good for creating a waterproof barrier in your shelter but I haven't been impressed with their insulating properties. I have an old poncho liner I use but my favorite is an REI 50 degree bag. It compacts down to about the same size as the poncho liner but the sleeping bag shape uses the insulation more effectively. The bottom opens and there are zippers at both shoulders so you can wear it around camp if you like.

REI Travel Sack (http://www.rei.com/product/731835)

Wiggys is offering 30% off their sleeping bags right now.

RAM Engineer
12-17-10, 11:04
I don't know what period that poncho liners became know as gay ass "woobies", but we need to start a world wide campaign to reverse this trend.

Probably after Mr. Mom came out in 1983.

[Trying to get Kenny to give up his security blanket]
Jack Butler: "I understand that you little guys start out with your woobies and you think they're great... and they are, they are terrific. But pretty soon, a woobie isn't enough. You're out on the street trying to score an electric blanket, or maybe a quilt. And the next thing you know, you're strung out on bedspreads Ken. That's serious."

SoDak
12-26-10, 12:56
I finally picked up a surplus poncho liner and I think it should work for what I want. Since it's used I figured washing it wouldn't hurt. Is there any reason I could throw it in the washing machine?

CLHC
12-26-10, 22:22
Don't know about this particular Work Blanket from Carhartt, but on their website they're offering for "free" with an online purchase of one hundred and fifty dollars or more until the 31st of this month.

Here's an excerpt:

The Carhartt work blanket is 48 inches X 58 inches and is made of fleece on one side and tough, water-resistant nylon on the other.