PDA

View Full Version : Can you use an Aimpoint 3x magnifier with an EOtech?

greywolf2112
07-23-07, 23:17
Reading about the magnifiers, it looks to me like the Aimpoint 3x magnifier has anywhere from a 2.5"-3.5" eye relief. The Eotech 3x magnifier has about a 1.6" eye relief.

I do NOT like short eye reliefs, and that small one for the Eotech 3x is killing me thinking about it.

Can you use an Aimpoint magnifier instead with the Eotech sight? My Eotechs are mounted flat on my flat-top receiver, no risers.

If I can use the Aimpoint magnifier, what flip-mount would I need to get so that it stays at the same height needed to see everything on my EOtech?

Thanks, guys!

greywolf2112
07-24-07, 10:35
Can't seem to find anything about the LaRue. If anyone has any links that would be great.

I did find this:

http://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SM&Product_Code=Quick_Flip-S&Category_Code=AR15_Optics_Mounts

Would that work for my application? Seems to be the lowest mount I can find so far.

greywolf2112
07-24-07, 10:58
An aimpoint 3x on a Larue tilt mount # ?? (whatever the new one is) will work behind a 552/551 perfectly(I have two set up this way). You may have to use the center adjust feature on the 3x to center it just like you would with an aimpoint.

My other question - not knowing the mounted height of a GT-14 NV mono, would this setup work? A GT-14 NV mono, with a low-mounted 3x Aimpoint magnifier, and then a low-mounted Eotech?

greywolf2112
07-24-07, 11:02
can't find anything on Larue... really?

www.laruetactical.com

I have tried the factory aimpoint, samson, and a pvs 14 mount. The new Larue mount, on the front/home page of the website, is by far the best solution for this application. The height will be fine.

Thanks, Dano - I guess then my only issue/concern would be cheek-weld. I'm a "making love to the stock" sort when it comes to mashing my face and cheek as low as possible on to the stock. Which is why my Eotech is not on a riser at all.

greywolf2112
07-24-07, 20:21
OK, I'm trying to figue out what the eye relief is for the Aimpoint 3x magnifier (going to use it with an EOtech sight).

So far I have found:

"at 5° FOV 40 – 90 mm at full FOV 60 – 65 mm"

WTH does this mean? Admittedly I am a noob, but what is 5 degrees of FOV vs. the Full FOV, and why such a huge spread on the eye relief?

I like maximum eye relief (used to 3.5"-4.0" from my Zeiss and Sightron scopes).

Thanks for the help!