PDA

View Full Version : Another MEUSOC 1911

Dave Berryhill
10-21-10, 12:06
I took a few photos of my latest build before shipping it to the owner. The frame is a Springfield Armory, the slide is a Caspian and the front cocking serrations were added at the owner's request.

http://www.berryhillguns.com/meusoc31.jpg

http://www.berryhillguns.com/meusoc32.jpg

Dave Berryhill
10-21-10, 12:07
And of course, the mandatory "pistol and knife" shot:

http://www.berryhillguns.com/meusoc30.jpg

GlockWRX
10-21-10, 13:21
Those are such cool guns. Nice work!

deuce9166
10-21-10, 13:24
Sir you do some nice work. All they need now his some hard use.

SWATcop556
10-21-10, 13:43
Looks great Dave. I love your MEUSOC builds. One of these days......

Mark71
10-21-10, 13:46
You do excellent work! That 1911 is a beauty.

VA_Dinger
10-21-10, 14:05
Absolutely amazing.

TehLlama
10-21-10, 15:49
No surprise, that's gorgeous.

R.E.Schoening
10-21-10, 19:45
Nice looking 1911 Dave!

You MEUSOC builds are way cool.

- Rob

infidelprodigy
10-21-10, 20:15
Dave,

What are your opinion of the Springfield frame? Is it a good platform to build from or what would be your desired frame to build a MEU(SOC) 1911 around?

Thanks in advance, now the pennies start getting saved for one of your builds.......

D. Christopher
10-21-10, 20:23
Beautiful piece of work as always. I would really love to have that pistol. Wouldn't change a thing.

Ned Christiansen
10-21-10, 20:31
Lookin' good, Dave. Having the SN stamped on all the parts gives it a real aura of "worker bee" and not "safe queen bee".

I have not seen the specs for a MEUSOC 1911 for a while-- can you share them or give a link? Just wondering if and what they spec for a barrel..... was there a brand specified? Seems like maybe it was Storm Lake?

VooDoo6Actual
10-21-10, 21:23
Nice SA blaster !

Turnkey11
10-21-10, 21:29
Ive got a pistol that could seriously use that treatment.

SeriousStudent
10-21-10, 21:29
And of course, the mandatory "pistol and knife" shot:

http://www.berryhillguns.com/meusoc30.jpg

And anything other than a Ka-Bar would be sacrilege. :D

Beautiful work, as is your norm. Thanks for the photos.

Wally
10-21-10, 22:55
Dave, I thought you were not building the "Old Version" anymore because of parts availability. Has this changed or is this a build you had in progress prior to the parts change? Only reason I ask is that I would love to have one of these, but the BFP is close but just not the same as the MEU....Awesome job. Wally GO TROJANS!

Norinco
10-21-10, 23:36
Looks like Ill be selling a kidney....

Dave Berryhill
10-22-10, 09:38
Thanks for the nice comments guys! Here are the specs for this pistol:
Springfield Armory GI Mil Spec frame, Caspian slide
Match barrel and bushing
Berryhill Ultimate ring hammer, sear and disconnector
Greider 3-hole trigger
Ed Brown wide ambi reshaped to "tactical" width
Les Baer flat serrated MSH with GI lanyard loop added
Millet front sight that is silver soldered to the slide
MEUSOC-style rear sight made from hardened 4140 steel
Bar stock plunger tube and mag catch
Last 4 digits of the serial number stamped on the barrel hood, slide, both halves of the thumb safety, ambi safety and MSH.
Blackened manganese phosphate finish

I found a Clark grip safety that I had stashed away so I used it for this pistol. The finish came out jet black and the photos don't do it justice.

Dave Berryhill
10-22-10, 10:11
Because several of the key parts are no longer available, I'm not taking any more orders for this pistol. I have several orders on my waiting list and I'm going to build those. The Kings ambi, Clark grip safety and Millett front sights are all discontinued.

I have several Millett front sights stashed away to build a few more pistols. I've made some grip safeties that are very close to the Clark by re-shaping the Olympic Arms "retro" grip safety. I have 1 Clark that I'm saving to use as a reference for this but it takes a lot of work. I'm actually glad that the Kings ambi is no longer available. It was a good design but poorly made and took a lot of work to fit. They usually didn't stop against the frame when you push the safety down to the "off" position so you'd feel two clicks. They would first stop when the plunger clicked into the safety detent and if you continued to push them further, they would move a little more until the safety lug rested on the frame window. These two events should occur at the same time. The USMC Armorers at PWS are now using an Ed Brown ambi so that's what I'm using as a substitute for the Kings.

I've kicked around the idea of building a pistol similar to the MEUSOC "old version" but with some changes to the parts that are no longer available but I'm not sure that I will. I've got some new pistols in the works.

infidelprodigy - although you need to look at each pistol individually, the Springfield frames are generally good. I have used quite a few Springfield Armory GI pistols as base guns for the MEUSOC and BFP pistols but usually toss just about everything but the slide and frame.

Ned - I appreciate your comments! Many of the parts that are currently being used such as mag catches, plunger tubes, extractors, etc. are just aftermarket parts that the Marines buy commercially or through the Government bidding process. Some of the parts, such as the Pachmayr grips, thumb safeties and sights are specific and I think these all now have NSN numbers. They have usually used Bar Sto barrels but have also used a few others over the years.

The current MEUSOC pistol is now known as the M45 CQBP (Close Quarters Battle Pistol) and it has:
Ed Brown grip safety
Ed Brown ambi safety
Pachmayr wrap around grips
Novak black rear sight
Dovetail front sight
C&S oval commander hammer, sear and disco

If anyone on the forum has any first hand knowledge of the pistol, please feel free to comment.

SeriousStudent - I may be struck by lightning but that isn't a Ka-Bar. It's a Mk II Navy knife made by Camillus, which is similar to the Ka-Bar but has a hard sheath instead of a leather one.

http://www.berryhillguns.com/meusoc37.jpg

SeriousStudent
10-22-10, 10:23
Mr. Berryhill - lightning is the last thing I would wish for you, sir. :) Thanks for letting me know.

I really do enjoy your MEUSOC pistols. I actually got to fam-fire one off the fantail of an LST on a Med float many, many moons ago. So it's a fun trip down memory lane.

Dave Berryhill
10-23-10, 16:47
As an alternative, I'm thinking of offering a retro model similar to the MEUSOC old version with these specs:

- Caspian slide and frame or customer's pistol
- Match barrel with GI-style muzzle crown
- Standard thickness match barrel bushing
- Commander ring hammer, sear and disconnector
- Solid aluminum or 3-hole match trigger
- MEU(SOC) replica fixed black rear sight
- Serrated black dovetail front sight.
- Extended thumb safety (Colt "commercial" or Wilson tactical)
- Clark-style grip safety
- Ed Brown slide stop
- Lowered and flared ejection port, beveled mag well
- Flat mainspring housing
- Mild dehorn

The idea would be to offer options on this pistol that I wouldn't offer on the MEUSOC replica such as a non-ambi thumb safety, some front sight options, grips, finish and maybe checkering and stippling on the front strap.

For example, if it were built with a gold bead front sight, wood grips and a blued finish it would be more of a "retro" gun. Put Pachmayr grips and a parkerized finish on it and it would be close to the MEUSOC pistol.

Let me know what you guys think of that idea.

ColdDeadHands
10-23-10, 17:57
I like it, options are good. I do like the Meusoc but my favorite is still the BFP.

Lumpy196
10-25-10, 14:37
Awesome specs for a basic 1911, however, I'm the only guy that prefers GI spec arched serrated mainspring housings apparently :big_boss:

BBossman
10-25-10, 16:45
Awesome specs for a basic 1911, however, I'm the only guy that prefers GI spec arched serrated mainspring housings apparently :big_boss:

No you're not.

Dave Berryhill
10-25-10, 17:26
What is interesting is that the Armorers at PWS took GI arched mainspring housings, milled them down and converted them into flat serrated mainspring housings for these pistols.

I don't know if they still do this or are buying commercial flat mainspring housings now.

glock19.com
10-26-10, 15:37
that's beautiful Dave

I did have to take a second look as except for the front slide serrations
that pistol is a dead ringer for the first 1911 I built for myself back in 1996 with a old Essex frame and rem slide

sure mine wasn't fitted and finished nearly as nicely LOL

Dave Berryhill
10-28-10, 14:41
For those that expressed an interest in a MEUSOC-style pistol, I've added the Retro Model to my website:
http://www.berryhillguns.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=5

The specs are pretty much what I listed in my earlier post. It's essentially a MEUSOC old version that comes standard with a dovetail front sight and a single (non-ambi) thumb safety.

Options include:
Plain black, tritium or gold bead in the front sight
Plain front strap, stippling or checkering
Double diamond checkered wood grips or Pachmayr wrap-arounds
Blue or parkerized finish

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

usmcgrunt
03-25-11, 19:03
Mr Berryhill I was wondering if you are still accepting orders for your new "Retro Model"? Just wanna make sure so I can keep saving my pennies! Thanks!

Grunt Out!

Dave Berryhill
03-25-11, 20:12
Sorry but I decided not to offer that model after all. I'm switching over to using Wilson Combat slides and frames and they aren't available in a configuration that would work.

usmcgrunt
03-25-11, 20:18
Sorry but I decided not to offer that model after all. I'm switching over to using Wilson Combat slides and frames and they aren't available in a configuration that would work.

Thanks for the reply Sir! The search continues!

Grunt Out!

newguy
03-27-11, 14:13
i am interested in the best detailed video of complete disasembly and reasembly of every part of it,and tools needed.

I have always got the best info from this site please help.

do you know of any online videos

Timbonez
03-27-11, 14:23
There are plenty of videos online. You shouldn't need any extra tools, maybe a punch.

USMC8531RET
02-24-12, 19:35
I'm almost done building one on a '43 Rem Rand frame with all GSA contract parts, down to the pins and springs. Until I can afford the slide and barrel, I'm keeping the original slide and barrel, but adding Colt hi-profile white dot sights.

Tennesseevolz
03-31-12, 16:20
That is an amazing looking 1911!- what does a build like that run?

USMC8531RET
03-31-12, 22:27
Here's mine (If I uploaded correctly)