PDA

View Full Version : Best way to cut a rail?

m249saw
10-22-10, 12:34
So after seeing KevinBs 10.5" upper with a hole cut in the RISII for the Switchblock I think thats the route for me as I dont want to sell my upper parts and more case for the Noveske upper.

I have the pic so I know where to cut bt what is best to use? A certain cutting wheel on a Dremel tool?

Thanks

Kevins pic from an earlier thread
http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/nickbooras/AR15/CIMG2629.jpg

TigWiz from SilencerTalk
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt250/nrtomczak/IMG_0696.jpg

Stickman
10-22-10, 13:19
That first one looks like Nicks carbine to me.

If you are going to cut it yourself with a Dremel, tape everything off, and wrap the area with a towel. That way when you slip, you won't be hitting anything you don't want to. I think your project is very doable by hand, its just going to be a mater of going slow and cutting carefully. You can always smooth cuts out after they are made in the turns, but you can't put any metal back. Cut short, then go wider. It will take longer but will work better in the long run.

Do you have access to any other cutting tools?

m249saw
10-22-10, 13:47
Probably, working for a fire department I'm sure at least one of my coworkers has some kind of tool I need that they use for their side jobs.

What would you recommend Stick?

The other thing Im curious of is the finish underneath the anodized FDE. Dont want it to be shiny.

ALCOAR
10-22-10, 16:16
Probably, working for a fire department I'm sure at least one of my coworkers has some kind of tool I need that they use for their side jobs.

What would you recommend Stick?

The other thing Im curious of is the finish underneath the anodized FDE. Dont want it to be shiny.

Take a foam brush with alum hyde II FDE sprayed on it and then dap the exposed surfaces. That is what I would do.

Todd.K
10-22-10, 16:41
Milling machine.

It can be done with a dremel and cut off wheel.

m249saw
10-22-10, 16:55
Trident, thanks Ill try that. Hopefully its close in color but at least it wont be a huge area I'm repainting.

Todd, Im sending you a PM.

ALCOAR
10-22-10, 17:14
no problemo, I have seen the hydeII in FDE on several lowers and it matches magpul's fde very well from what I could tell.

I have used hydeII a good bit in black on various applications and it works really well as long as you surface prep well.

Iraqgunz
10-22-10, 17:38
I use Brownells Aluma-Hyde and it works pretty good.

no problemo, I have seen the hydeII in FDE on several lowers and it matches magpul's fde very well from what I could tell.

I have used hydeII a good bit in black on various applications and it works really well as long as you surface prep well.