PDA

View Full Version : My glock 21sf is falling apart......

kyrin88
10-22-10, 12:39
I just bought a BNIB Glock 21sf with ambi mag release and picatinny rail. I cleaned the weapon, loaded up the two mags with +p 45 ammo from Remington. I then inserted the mag into the gun and released the mag, but the mag release was very difficult to engage. When I finally released the mag the mag release button stuck to the left making it impossible to retain another mag during reload operation(picture inserting the mag and it falling out without securing it). I had to push the opposite side of the mag release to reset it. I immediately called glock and told them of the problem, but even before I finished speaking they knew what the problem was. Apparently this has been happening on the sf models with ambi mag release.

After setting up to send them the weapon to be fixed, i went back to re-examine the gun when I heard a rattling piece jumping around in the frame. A small plastic piece fell out of the frame( I do not know what this piece is) and now it wouldn't retain the mag to save my life. This is a disaster, because this kind of shit can cost someone their life. I will post pics of this with the plastic piece later.

PS. I asked the guy at glock what the reason was for the picatinny railed version vs the glock rail version was. He told me that the picatinny railed version was made for a military contract, but it didnt get it because of the lack of holster options.( im thinking this damn mag release problem)

skyugo
10-22-10, 12:50
the old ambi mag releases are generally regarded as crap... hopefully they'll just give you a G21sf with a regular mag catch and you can never worry about it again. :)

willowofwisp
10-22-10, 13:05
the old ambi mag releases are generally regarded as crap... hopefully they'll just give you a G21sf with a regular mag catch and you can never worry about it again. :)

I thought from reading somewhere they were replacing those ambi frames wiht a single..

TommyG
10-22-10, 15:25
They are replacing the frames with the ambi release on the G21SF with regular ones. They have discontinued selling new ones that way.

Read here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55751

They will probably hook you up with a spanky new one. Their customer service is very good.

Edit: I didn't read far enough to see you already called. They will hook you up.

CoolBarrelBill
10-22-10, 15:35
Thanks for the info I did not know I could get the frame replaced. I have a ambi 21 but have not had any problems with it so far.

mrosamilia
11-27-10, 09:06
I too have a 21SF with the old style ambi and have had no issues in 2500 rounds knock on wood.

RAM Engineer
11-27-10, 09:18
PS. I asked the guy at glock what the reason was for the picatinny railed version vs the glock rail version was. He told me that the picatinny railed version was made for a military contract, but it didnt get it because of the lack of holster options.( im thinking this damn mag release problem)

The Glock didn't "get" the contract, because there never was a contract to get. Glock designed the 21SF around the performance spec (or ORD, I can't remember) for the Joint Service Pistol (JSP). A Request For Proposal (RFP) was never issued for the JSP, so there was never any contract to "get". There was never any "competition" or "trials" and the .GOV essentially never got beyond the window shopping stage.

Frntsyt
11-27-10, 09:25
It just seemed Glock couldn't decide exactly what to do with the 21SF. First it was the pic rail and ambi mag release. Due to no holsters I waited. The minute they had a Glock rail and ambi, I jumped on it to find the ambi sucked. Then came a Glock rail and standard mag catch. I jumped again. And then finally Glock rail, standard mag release and rtf finnish...That was it. I went through 3 types of SF's.
But at least I stuck with the last two...

BSHNT2015
11-27-10, 09:29
We had two co-workers experience a malfunction with the ambi-lever falling apart on the range. Needless to say, the weapons were pulled off duty use. The frames were send back to Glock for immediate replacement, 3 months later we got them back. If you have ambi G21 SF frame-CHANGE THEM. Be safe.

markm
11-27-10, 09:33
This is what happens when gun companies change designs because of pressure from the morons in the gun realm.

IMO, this type of crap is the product of that idiotic SHOT show and the expectation of every gun retard that each company MUST have some new product for SHOT show.

VolGrad
11-27-10, 09:33
Mine is off for frame replacement right now. I tested it before purchasing/trading into it and it appeared fine. Once loaded, the mags wouldn't release. O well, new frame on the way.

M4arc
11-28-10, 13:53
This is what happens when gun companies change designs because of pressure from the morons in the gun realm.

IMO, this type of crap is the product of that idiotic SHOT show and the expectation of every gun retard that each company MUST have some new product for SHOT show.

I couldn't agree more.

To the OP, call Glock tomorrow and get them to warranty your frame with one of the new ones.

gtmtnbiker98
11-28-10, 17:27
Sorry dude, on your new shooter. Hopefully it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

kaltblitz
11-28-10, 18:11
I wouldn't call the SHOT show idiotic, but I agree that companies' desires to compete with one another sometimes creates more problems than it solves sometimes.

I believe the 21SF's ambi release was not a result of SHOT, but rather a result of the now-defunct JSP contact.

As others have already stated Glock has quietly admitted the problem and will swap out the frame.

TAZ
11-28-10, 21:39
While I have had 2 21SF's with the ambi release and NEVER had an issue aside from the difficulty in releasing a fully loaded mag, its the #1 reason why I am EAGERLY awaiting the Gen 4 reversible design to get incorporated in the 20/21 line. I just make sure that when I clean the gun I make sure that the mag release is still fully seated in the frame.

Having small hands I really like that I can use my index finger to activate the mag release without having to REALLY break my grip to get my short thumb on the release. Its one of the reasons why I haven't plunked down some GSSF $$ to get an RTF version of the 21SF. I'd have to buy some seriously extetended mag release to make the grip change manageable.

Keeping my fingers crossed that when they do make the Gen4 21 it wont take 7 spring iterations before the darned thing runs like the original design.

Ga Shooter
11-29-10, 15:33
I had 2 of the 21SF with ambi and had mag release problems with both. I sent them both in along with a letter describing the problem and asking them to replace the frames. It took about 3 weeks (earlier this year) and I recieved 2 new frames at no charge. You should not have any problems.

Ga Shooter
11-29-10, 15:34
PS The frame serial number changed and no longer matched the slide. FYI.

sabresbrs
11-30-10, 17:57
I have a 21 sf with ambi mag release. It is tough to release the magazine when fully loaded. I just push up on the mag and it works fine. It will drop free when there is only 12 in the mag. I love that gun because it DOES NOT have the gay Glock rail. It has the 1913 rail which allows more compatibility with a larger variety of lights. I wish that Glock offered more models with the 1913 rail.

Ga Shooter
11-30-10, 19:52
I have a 21 sf with ambi mag release. It is tough to release the magazine when fully loaded. I just push up on the mag and it works fine. It will drop free when there is only 12 in the mag. I love that gun because it DOES NOT have the gay Glock rail. It has the 1913 rail which allows more compatibility with a larger variety of lights. I wish that Glock offered more models with the 1913 rail.

WOW!!! Just WOW!!!:suicide2:

RAM Engineer
11-30-10, 20:15
I love that gun because it DOES NOT have the gay Glock rail. It has the 1913 rail which allows more compatibility with a larger variety of lights. I wish that Glock offered more models with the 1913 rail.

And less holster compatibility. The Glock rail is compatible with Surefire, Insight and Streamlight lights. What else do you need it to match up to?

I hope your wishes and dreams never come true.

nfranco
11-30-10, 20:17
I have a don't ask, don't tell policy with my glock.

sabresbrs
11-30-10, 21:32
I actually run a streamlight on my 21 sf. Though the streamlight is compatible with the glock rail, only if you have the glock insert installed on the light. I can put my streamlight on my glock and my quadrail on my ar because both use the 1913 rails. This is why I like the 1913 rail better on the glock.

GreenMtn675
12-01-10, 18:55
We carry the 21SF for our duty weapons at my PD. We have had only one problem with the whole fleet. That was when an officer went to put down a deer that was struck by a car. When he pulled the trigger nothing happened.

He believes the problem was caused by the internal components became "gummed up" from using too much cleaner. Once he broke down the internals from the slide and cleaned it out the gun worked fine. They blamed it on Break Free.

I have no idea if Break Free would do that to a gun, personally I think he did something else. Does anyone have any insight to this?

Thanks

TommyG
12-01-10, 20:05
We carry the 21SF for our duty weapons at my PD. We have had only one problem with the whole fleet. That was when an officer went to put down a deer that was struck by a car. When he pulled the trigger nothing happened.

He believes the problem was caused by the internal components became "gummed up" from using too much cleaner. Once he broke down the internals from the slide and cleaned it out the gun worked fine. They blamed it on Break Free.

I have no idea if Break Free would do that to a gun, personally I think he did something else. Does anyone have any insight to this?

Thanks

It was likely not the Break Free in and of itself. People tend to gum up the striker channel with lube and it causes failures.

Short discussion here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6298

hals1
12-02-10, 11:47
Posted wrong place.