PDA

View Full Version : Eotech XPS2-?

Black Wrench
10-22-10, 13:40
So thought I'd bring up the question of Eotech vs Aimpoint. Just kiddin... I like the fact that aimpoint only uses a single dot for there sights. It feels less cluttered in the glass. My question is Eotech XPS2-1 is a single red dot sight. Does anyone have it and is it worth buying? I have a 512 and an XPS2-2 which in my opinion is way to cluttered inside of that little bit of glass. I want the Aimpoint style sight but just don't want the Aimpoint name. I prefer Eotech, just my opinion. If anyone has any personal experience with this that would be great. Want to know if it gets as bright as the Aimpoint and is it just as quick to find as i believe the Aimpoint Comp M2 is a 4MOA red dot and the Eotech XPS2-1 is a single 1MOA dot.

CarlosDJackal
10-22-10, 13:42
FWIW, the Aimpont Comp M3 is available with the 2MOA dot.

Hmac
10-22-10, 13:59
According to Eotech, this is the XPS2-1 reticle. It's 1 MOA.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/images/product/sm%201%20MOA%20Reticle.JPG

I like my Eotech (with conventionaql Eotech reticle) better than my T-1 for (tubeless) field of view, target acquisition, and both-eyes-open use.

mikejg
10-22-10, 16:29
I'm curious how the XPS with single 1 MOA dot works as well.

I have an XPS2-0 and an M2, and I'm thinking a single MOA dot may be difficult to acquire.

Nevermiss
10-22-10, 16:49
I have a T1 and OPMOD EXPS2-0 (Circle-Dot).

I think that single MOA dot only would not work as well for me.

I like the field of view with Eotech and the circle dot reticle more than the view/dot in the H1, but I haven't checked split times with different scenarios to know if I am any faster with what I prefer.

The H1 is growing on me with the more trigger/vision/brain time I have with it.

ztf HITMAN
10-22-10, 17:03
I have the XPS 3.1 (NV with single MOA dot) I do like the single MOA dot. I haven't tested it with timing my shots or going through a course, though.

Black Wrench
10-22-10, 21:19
ztf HITMAN

Thats my biggest factor in purchasing the Eotech. Which is faster to acquire in a CQB environment. If you get a chance to run some drills let me know. 1 MOA dot seems really small but I really want to stick with an Eotech.

JSantoro
10-22-10, 21:44
, and I'm thinking a single MOA dot may be difficult to acquire.

If it is, it's a problem with the shooter's eyes, and not one of optic design.

And, if memory serves, that dot is actually about 1/3 MOA, and they just tag it as 1MOA...for their own reasons. My opinion, because they're unwilling to field questions from folks too dumb to pay attention in school and retain the ability to think in fractions. Who's to say?

Another example, the dot in a Aimpoint H1/T1 is actually under 3.5MOA, because they use the same LED as in other 4MOA models, but the focal length is shorter, so it prints smaller on the glass. Yet, they still call it 4MOA in the literature.

So, everybody looking at the "1MOA" dot in an EOTech reticle is actually looking at a dot that's sub-MOA. Those that can't pick it up at any intensify level need to get their eyes checked.

No, that's not a snide insult, I'm dead serious. Get a detailed check of your eyes done if you can't see an EO reticle dot. You might find out something that will ALLOW you to see it...maybe not, but shouldn't you be getting your eyes checked, anyway?

(Personally, I only have the doc check the eye I want to see out of. 50% off the exam! woot)

Black Wrench
10-23-10, 03:57
I didn't mean I can't find it. I meant in a high stress situation will you be able to place that little dot on the target as fast as a Comp M..whatever or an Eotech with a 65 MOA ring. I like the fact that a single dot is less cluttered on the glass versus having a ring/dot combo but is the Eotech single red dot to small? Has anyone run one on a competition or overseas or wherever? Feedback from personal experience with this exact device would be great.

Hmac
10-23-10, 08:01
I find the 65 MOA reticle much easier and faster to acquire too, especially with both eyes open, and I find that reticle useful in better compensating for HOB at shorter ranges. I think the single red dot works in my T-1 because the tube is smaller and FOV so narrow that there is just less area to look for it. IOW, the good news it's easy to find the red dot on a T-1, the bad news is that's because the field of view smaller.

JSantoro
10-23-10, 08:38
but is the Eotech single red dot to small? Has anyone run one on a competition or overseas or wherever?
This is far more a training consideration than it is device. It's a reticle that glows, so how big it is truly only impacts when you start to take longer shots and are using the dot/circle/tetrahedron/whatever itself as your metric for holds.

Close in, the glowy part stands out more than well enough, regardless of size and presuming you've got the intensity set right for you, that you put that where you want it and press. It's lit and moving because you're driving it to the target; evolution has preconditioned you to notice moving lights.

Or, you put all the parts that aren't a glowing dot around the target and press. I've run across some people that actually think in terms of negative space...yeah, they're weird...but whatever makes the process go is whatever makes the process go.

In this regard, feedback is nice, but can't decide what dot size works or if you can or cannot see it. Better that you wear out some shoe-leather and see if you can borrow some different RDSs & reticles, try each out with a timer involved. It's also less costly to experiment that way than buying something you end up hating.

ztf HITMAN
10-23-10, 10:58
I didn't mean I can't find it. I meant in a high stress situation will you be able to place that little dot on the target as fast as a Comp M..whatever or an Eotech with a 65 MOA ring. I like the fact that a single dot is less cluttered on the glass versus having a ring/dot combo but is the Eotech single red dot to small? Has anyone run one on a competition or overseas or wherever? Feedback from personal experience with this exact device would be great.

The single dot is not 'too small' If you get a chance to look through one, try bringing the optic up to your eye at different intensity levels. The lower setting you go, the 'smaller' it will appear. At higher levels, the dot will appear bigger. But, different strokes for different folks, so try different reticle patterns out and find one that works for you.

Failure2Stop
10-23-10, 11:05
One of the best GM 3-gun shooters I am friends with made the statement to me a few years ago that he might get an EoTech if it only had the 1 MOA (or 1/3 MOA, apparently) dot. He found that the ring slowed him down.

Personally, I prefer the dot/hula-hoop (65 moa is effing big at distance), but this guy was/is at the tippy top of multi-gun, and while I greatly respect his opinion, his application was/is not mine.

ztf HITMAN
10-23-10, 12:48
A multi-reticle version would have been kick-ass!!!:ph34r::ph34r:

payj
10-24-10, 01:21
I would just look into the T1 if I were you if you want the single dot. Small foot print on the gun and has a better battery life.

Hmac
10-24-10, 07:46
I would just look into the T1 if I were you if you want the single dot. Small foot print on the gun and has a better battery life.

I find the 4 MOA dot on my T-1 annoying, especially with a magnifier which turns it into a kind of misshapen blob. The small tube of the T-1 is narrow and limiting, and I find the internal reflections that occur under some lighting conditions annoying. The size and weight of the T-1 are nice, but battery life is a non-issue for me. If the battery goes dead, I'll just replace it. Between the grip and the stock, I can carry at least 3600 hours of extra batteries.

Hammar
10-24-10, 12:05
I find that the dot inside ring reticle is much faster to acquire and I use it for HOB and bullet drop as well. The bigger glass also helps me with faster aqusition and better field of view as opposed to the smaller aimpoints. I run a 4x magnifier behind one of my eotechs and find the reticle looks better under magnification with them than the H1/T1 as well.

Really a matter of personal preference, and you should try both reticles if you can to see what works best for you.

payj
10-24-10, 16:05
I find the 4 MOA dot on my T-1 annoying, especially with a magnifier which turns it into a kind of misshapen blob. The small tube of the T-1 is narrow and limiting, and I find the internal reflections that occur under some lighting conditions annoying. The size and weight of the T-1 are nice, but battery life is a non-issue for me. If the battery goes dead, I'll just replace it. Between the grip and the stock, I can carry at least 3600 hours of extra batteries.

Good info. I guess all the op can do is try both. Maybe will like one over the other.

There are plenty of people running both so I am sure he would be fine with either a T1 or Xps....

Hmac
10-24-10, 16:13
Good info. I guess all the op can do is try both. Maybe will like one over the other.

There are plenty of people running both so I am sure he would be fine with either a T1 or Xps....

By no means am I saying that the T-1 is a bad RDS. But for my use, for me personally, it doesn't work out as well as the OPMOD, for the reasons I mention above.