PDA

View Full Version : M&P .40c internal lock failure???

Drew78
10-22-10, 14:46
So I was at the range today over lunch. The gentlemen in the lane next to me were discussing our pistolas, my Glock 19 and his S&W .40c. We exchanged and shot a mag through each others guns. I must say that the M&P .40 is WAY nicer to shoot than my Glock 23. That's why I sold it a while back to put toward another G19. But I digress....

So about 20 min later I get a tap on the shoulder from my lane neighbor wanting me to look at his gun. after clearing the weapon, he explained how he was in the middle of a string of fire when the gun would not fire any longer. I was able to verify this much as we removed the chamberd round and the mag that had at least on more round in it. After closing the action, I squeezed the trigger and while it had its full range of movement, it wouldnt release the striker, no click.

Not knowing much about the platform I handed it back and told him I really couldnt help him and that it was a bummer. He told me to wait a second, pulled the key out for the internal lock from his factory case and turned the key one way, no change, than all the way back the other way, and "CLICK". It worked again. Insert mag, chamber round, BANG BANG BANG ect.... No more problems.

I have heard of this in the lightweight wheelies with the Smiths from time to time, is this at all seen on the pistols?

Very odd to say the least, maybe there is something else going on with it that caused what appears to be a lock initation on the pistol.

-Drew

ps- I HATE the .40 cartridge and the M&P really, really handled it well. Its a good shooting pistol :)

C4IGrant
10-22-10, 14:57
I have never heard of an IL failure in an M&P, but that doesn't mean anything (as I don't stock this model) on purpose. ;)

C4