PDA

View Full Version : Drop-In Rail Options

aaron_c
10-22-10, 16:09
Hey guys, as I stated in another thread I'm getting a bigger Christmas bonus than I thought. The main purpose of this thread is to ask this, what's the best 9" drop-in rail for me other than the DD Omega (just too expensive)? Troy Drop-ins, Midwest Industries? I want the best possible quality but don't really want to break out of the $200 range. All I'm going to do with it is hang a flashlight and VFG on it, no lasers or optics or anything like that. Here are the main two I'm considering:

http://store.troyind.com/Drop_In_Mid_Length_Battlerail_p/srai-mrf-d9bt-00.htm
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=65

Eric D.
10-22-10, 18:50
Most of the drop-ins are going to have some wiggle to them. since you're not mounting optics this may not be a problem for you. I had an MI drop-in with a fore-grip attached and there was noticeable wiggle. If i can feel the wiggle, its not good enough for me. I have no experience with the troy but I hear good things about them. DD makes another drop-in rail besides the Omega and it looks nice. The drop-ins run about $150, except for the KAC which is $320 (robbery) If wiggle won't bother you, by all means go for a drop-in (I'd recommend DD personally) If, however, you want a SOLID platform, free float is the only way to go. I wish I would've gone free float from the beginning; I've wasted a lot of money on stuff for my AR only find that I don't like it. Free floats run about $100+ more than drop-ins but they are worth every penny. Either LaRue or DD, you will not be disappointed.

mark5pt56
10-22-10, 19:20
I have the Troy 9" drop in and it doesn't move at all. It's solid and I'm pleased with it, I also like the built in QD slots, both sides fore and aft.

Has anyone run this rail without the 4 screws and the tensioning screw?

ghostman1960
10-22-10, 19:23
Most of the drop-ins are going to have some wiggle to them. since you're not mounting optics this may not be a problem for you. I had an MI drop-in with a fore-grip attached and there was noticeable wiggle. If i can feel the wiggle, its not good enough for me. I have no experience with the troy but I hear good things about them. DD makes another drop-in rail besides the Omega and it looks nice. The drop-ins run about $150, except for the KAC which is $320 (robbery) If wiggle won't bother you, by all means go for a drop-in (I'd recommend DD personally) If, however, you want a SOLID platform, free float is the only way to go. I wish I would've gone free float from the beginning; I've wasted a lot of money on stuff for my AR only find that I don't like it. Free floats run about $100+ more than drop-ins but they are worth every penny. Either LaRue or DD, you will not be disappointed.
I have the 9" Troy drop in rails. I can say that there is no movement or wiggle what so ever with them. Heck, they were locked up solid on my weapon even before I installed the screws that hold the 2 halves together.

They are not the lightest set of rails you can buy but they are quality all around. They are not that expensive and if you look around you can find them at around $150.00. I hope this helps.

ghostman1960
10-22-10, 19:29
I have the Troy 9" drop in and it doesn't move at all. It's solid and I'm pleased with it, I also like the built in QD slots, both side fore and aft.

Has anyone run this rail without the 4 screws and the tensioning screw?

I have not but they do lock up tight without the screws. The problem is though that if you don't use the tensioning screw your going to have the tension bar flopping around inside of the rails.

m249saw
10-22-10, 20:26
The KACs can be found for around $100-150.

The upper locks in tight, the lower is ok. Knights does make the UK-SAS bottom rail with tightens via allen bolt like the top rail.

Wherryj
10-22-10, 20:30
If you aren't completely decided upon the forgrip, you could try the Midwest Industries Front-site mount. It gives you a short rail to mount a light.

I just picked one up and it's a decent way to add a light/laser (it puts a 1.5 inch rail on both sides of the standard front site).

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=529246

ghostman1960
10-22-10, 20:30
The KACs can be found for around $100-150.

The upper locks in tight, the lower is ok. Knights does make the UK-SAS bottom rail with tightens via allen bolt like the top rail.

Does KAC make 9" drop in rails?

Quiet-Matt
10-22-10, 20:46
+1 on the Troy DI rail. They are solid.

bsmith_shoot
10-22-10, 21:20
KAC RAS!

devildogljb
10-22-10, 21:42
I have a midwest ind. couldnt not be happier with them. But i havnt had any experince with troy.

armakraut
10-22-10, 22:39
I know for a fact that KAC doesn't make a 9 inch drop in rail, because I would have bought one by now.

bsmith_shoot
10-22-10, 22:58
I know for a fact that KAC doesn't make a 9 inch drop in rail, because I would have bought one by now.
Nope, they dont. My bad. Still had to put in a shameless plug for the RAS.

m249saw
10-23-10, 08:53
I really need to read better:o

peabody
10-23-10, 12:05
i bought a troy drop in for my A4 clone'
its not here yet' but i hear good things about them.

peabody

justin_247
10-23-10, 12:39
Troy MRF-DI or DD Omega - I wouldn't look at any others. If you can't afford the DD rails, buy the Troy rails. You won't be disappointed.