PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy Books

Alric
10-22-10, 16:29
I have virtually no medical or anatomy background, but I've been increasingly interested in learning how to patch myself (or others related to me) up in case of emergency. I've enrolled in a local Red Cross first aid / CPR class, but I figured it would also be good to have some understanding of anatomy. Which anatomy books out there would be good to learn from?

Bonus points if they're available from the Amazon Kindle store :D

Von Rheydt
10-22-10, 20:07
Please don't dismiss this as a stupid answer or as me trying to be funny.

When I was doing my training we used anatomy coloring books. Yes, coloring books. They are intended for students doing anything medically related: Docs; physio's; nurses; paramedics; etc. If you have to spend half an hour coloring in a body part you tend to remember its shape and location.

I <cough> used to photocopy mine to practice multiple times.

panzerr
10-22-10, 21:54
At chiro school we use the current version of Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy. Any version will do, really, but the current is 5th edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Human-Anatomy-Student-Consult/dp/1416059512/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287802144&sr=1-1

This is a good start.

I suggest you enroll in something a little more intense to get more exposure. Undergrad Anatomy courses are okay, but still very much lacking. Try to find one with a cadaver lab if possible.

Edit:

BTW -Netter is strictly anatomy -not to be confused with physiology- and is strictly an atlas of the human body. Most undergrad courses mix the two.

chuckman
10-23-10, 13:55
If you are not going beyond 1st aid, even First Responder, you really don't 'need' a whole lot of in-depth anatomy knowledge. Really, do you 'need' to know where the clavipectoral fascia is to be good in first aid? Or the difference between the flexor digitorum profundus and flexor digiti minimi brevis? I would get a paramedic book or a basic, very basic, anatomy and physiology book to get started. The coloring book is very popular and really good.

SeriousStudent
10-23-10, 14:05

When I was doing my training we used anatomy coloring books. Yes, coloring books. They are intended for students doing anything medically related: Docs; physio's; nurses; paramedics; etc. If you have to spend half an hour coloring in a body part you tend to remember its shape and location.

You talking about Gray's Anatomy?

http://www.amazon.com/Start-Exploring-Grays-Anatomy-Fact-Filled/dp/0894718630/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287860591&sr=1-2

My son and daughter used those in high school, and I thought they looked pretty good.

I'd need a machete and native guide to find it in her room now, though. So I'm not able to offer a current, personal review.

Von Rheydt
10-23-10, 17:10
You talking about Gray's Anatomy?

http://www.amazon.com/Start-Exploring-Grays-Anatomy-Fact-Filled/dp/0894718630/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287860591&sr=1-2

That'd be the ones.

I also used flashcards.........can't remember whose but they are pretty much all the same.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=anatomy+flashcards

I'd need a machete and native guide to find it in her room now, though. So I'm not able to offer a current, personal review.

I use GPS and a long piece of string to navigate around my daughters room.

Hmac
10-23-10, 17:28
I recommend a good first aid course, better yet would be EMT basic training, and learn the anatomy as it applies to first aid. Without that context, you'll end up just memorizing a lot of disconnected information that will leave your brain within a matter of weeks.

Von Rheydt
10-23-10, 19:37
I recommend a good first aid course, better yet would be EMT basic training, and learn the anatomy as it applies to first aid. Without that context, you'll end up just memorizing a lot of disconnected information that will leave your brain within a matter of weeks.

He speaks the truth. A good course and continuous practice is the only way to go.

Personally, without the benefit of upto date practice I have forgotten most of what I learnt apart from the basics.

Hmac
10-23-10, 22:54
I know primary care doctors that have been in practice 20 years that have forgotten most of the anatomy they learned in medical school.

panzerr
10-24-10, 10:05

That is not a stupid answer...coloring helps distinguish between the muscles and people remember much better this way.

drrufo
10-24-10, 18:15
Our first house had a resident library that was almost as old as the house( built in 1912).
One of the books was a hard bound book on surgical techniques. It is drawings so it isn't too gory, but if you want to know how to remove a leg or an appendix this is the book for you. It imparts a knowledge of anatomy that you wouldn't get from Grey's Anatomy in that you see the parts moved around so you can cut the various parts and how to stop the bleeding.
It might be more than you want, but it would be a good reference book.
I would try Major Surplus for any field first aid books, they might be handy also.

JA

300WM
11-22-10, 20:47
I realize this thread is been here a while, but if you are still looking, try A.D.A.M. Student Atlas of Anatomy. I have one and it is one of the best anatomy books I have ever seen, and by far the easiest to use.

tc556guy
12-08-10, 17:15
Bonus points if they're available from the Amazon Kindle store :D

If you are looking for "free", google " Basic Human Anatomy" MD0006 from the U. S. Army Medical Department Center And School. It isn't in color, but at least you might get some help with the terminology.

panzerr
12-08-10, 17:27
If you are not going beyond 1st aid, even First Responder, you really don't 'need' a whole lot of in-depth anatomy knowledge. Really, do you 'need' to know where the clavipectoral fascia is to be good in first aid? Or the difference between the flexor digitorum profundus and flexor digiti minimi brevis? I would get a paramedic book or a basic, very basic, anatomy and physiology book to get started. The coloring book is very popular and really good.

The average person does not need to know every muscle of the human body. However, if you are going to spend the money on an anatomy book, you may as well get the same book Doctors are taught out of. Netter has excellent drawings and they are without a doubt accurate.

motorwerks
12-09-10, 13:58

I swear, I was going to say the same thing!!! I used them to get through A&P

mkbar80
12-11-10, 12:32
I currently teach A&P....to answer your question the most commonly used 100/200 level college texts are either Hole's, Marieb, Martini, or Tortora...look for a used recent addition on Amazon, eBay, or if near a campus stop by a book store and buy used. New textbook's are a racket, don't waste your money on the newest addition VERY LITTLE CHANGES WITH EACH ONE. Marieb usually has a athlete on the front, Martini dancers, I think the last edition of Tortora had blood cells on the cover.

Keep in mind, each author's text usually has some "Applications" materials, "Atlas/Lab guide" spiral bound notebook which is designed to aide in lab identificaiton of cadaver work, or "Essentials/Principles" version (which is a condensed text). These can be packaged with the text or sold separate....these may be more useful to someone just wanting some background knowledge for FA/CLS as they at times focus more on homeostatic mechanisms, injury/disease, and clinical applications. Also most texts now have a software suite such as the ADAM softward described above.

With that said, I think you want to look for a "Trauma Care/Treatment" type of text directed towards nursing/EMT students. (a lot cheaper used and more specific to your interests).
http://books.google.com/books?id=L4hrAAAAMAAJ&q=emt+trauma+care&dq=emt+trauma+care&hl=en&ei=PcMDTdK8PMewngfnnbHlDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA

These texts+materials can run you a few hundred dollars used and more if you'd try to buy new. You can probably find a 2-3 day buddy aide/GSW type of course near by for not much more. Then you could shop for some materials to support that class. I'd view any anatomy texts as just support materials to a few days of specific trauma training (the RC FA/CPR class has merit....but I think you'll be very underwhelmed by it if your goal is "patching someone up").

motorwerks
12-11-10, 15:02
or hell just hit up the local JC and take an EMT class. I had a really good time in mine (10+ yeas ago) and made some friends that I still hang out with. I had a supper hot early 40s physical therapist in my class that ended up being my study partner, she had access to all of the cut open body models at her work so between her helping me and the coloring books I did really well.

Eyefly
01-12-11, 13:09
I would recommend taking a class at a local college or night school. You may get more out of that.

FL2011
01-12-11, 21:03
The two main anatomy texts I used during first couple years of med school were:

Gray's Anatomy for students
http://www.amazon.com/Grays-Anatomy-Students-Richard-Drake/dp/0443066124

and

Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy
http://www.amazon.com/Clinically-Oriented-Anatomy-Keith-Moore/dp/0683061410

They are more "clinically" oriented with some physio/disease info thrown in as opposed to a strictly illustrated anatomy text Netter.

If you want an actual cadaver photographic anatomy text then Rohen's Color Atlas is a good one. Similar to Netter's in that's it's just anatomy, but with dissected cadaver images.
http://www.amazon.com/Color-Atlas-Anatomy-Photographic-Study/dp/0781731941

panzerr
01-12-11, 21:14
The two main anatomy texts I used during first couple years of med school were:

Gray's Anatomy for students
http://www.amazon.com/Grays-Anatomy-Students-Richard-Drake/dp/0443066124

and

Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy
http://www.amazon.com/Clinically-Oriented-Anatomy-Keith-Moore/dp/0683061410

They are more "clinically" oriented with some physio/disease info thrown in as opposed to a strictly illustrated anatomy text Netter.

I would suggest Moore's over Drake, but I didn't find much use for either while my copy of Netter is covered in 100 MPH tape.

Vic303
01-13-11, 21:59

I've had a copy of Grey's Anatomy Coloring Book since I was in college. Very handy, and useful over the years.

jk636
01-17-11, 20:53
Alric,

A basic knowledge of first aid is a great idea and is not terribly complicated. The best thing to do is go down to your local book store and get a First Responder (in texas we call the ECAs) textbook. Short, simple and to the point. Should teach bandaging, splinting etc. And it shouldnt cost more than 20 bucks. Good luck!!

GIJew766
01-18-11, 21:37
The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (who actually loosely "governs" EMS) is changing standards and scope and what not that will take effect here in Pennsylvania in July. With that being said, here is what the local teaching hospitals are using in their course.

http://wps.prenhall.com/wps/media/access/Pearson_Default/8260/8458713/login.html

This book teaches to the National Registry EMT Standard. I've picked up the book to learn the new BLS standards and protocols and have to say that it is a solid text. With the consolidation of EMT-Basic and EMT-Intermediate, and the creation of a more meaningful Advanced EMT (AEMT) between the new consolidated EMT and the revised Paramedic (EMT-P), there is a butt-ton of information that's getting changed and altered.

Also, the classification of "First Responder" is being dropped and replaced with the new "Emergency Medical Responder." Same duties and what not (more or less Pro level CPR/AED), but will now be required to be certified by a government agency.

Depending on how involved you want to get, you can also pick up a copy of some of the Tactical Combat Casualty Care manuals. I'll attach the link to one I have from a course I took a while back. Book is from the Center for Army Lessons Learned. Good pile of info.

http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/fmtb/tccc_handbook.pdf

Any questions or anything on prehospital care, let me know. It's what I do.

HC

ncrebel8
01-31-11, 20:07
Depending on how deep you want to get into A&P. (OP was a medical responder/EMT wanting some Anatomy references). Brady Has a pretty good textbook. Anatomy and physiology for Emergency Care. Not as in depth as full A&P class but still a good text. I like the coloring book idea also.