PDA

View Full Version : Jeep!

Hmac
10-22-10, 16:41
Words fail me...Call of Duty: Black Ops Edition Jeep
(http://www.destructoid.com/-2011-jeep-wrangler-call-of-duty-black-ops-edition)
http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/files/assets/000/025/617/header_wide/-2011-jeep-wrangler-call-of-duty-black-ops-edition-header.jpg?1287497445

Puts me in mind of this classic image...

http://mccollister.info/imfromtheinternet.jpg

Belmont31R
10-22-10, 16:50
I would never buy any Jeep product....

Zhurdan
10-22-10, 17:33
Pretty indicative of who plays their games though... not the snot nosed kids most think play them. At that price point, I'm guessing their market researched turned back an age further in the 30's.

Oh, I play video games... it's a fun distraction at times.

As for the picture of the chubby kid... at least he's outside DOING something. Much less could be said for most kids his age. ;-)

Spiffums
10-22-10, 18:21
See what happens when they stop making hummers for consumers.....:sarcastic:

C4IGrant
10-22-10, 18:35

X10

C4

Rmplstlskn
10-22-10, 18:36
My Toyota FJ Cruiser can beat up your Jeep... :neo:

citizensoldier16
10-22-10, 21:11
I don't get it...its a black 4-door Wrangler. I see about 10 of these every day on the interstate. :confused:

Hmac
10-22-10, 21:28
No no, it has special Call of Duty:Black Ops graphics.

citizensoldier16
10-22-10, 22:02
Oooohh..... You mean video game stickers? Wonder if you can get the airsoft-proof ballistic windows as an option. :rolleyes:

orionz06
10-22-10, 23:42
So Chrysler is assuming enough people willing to drive this have the money to buy it? All the more reason to own a Toyota.

dennisuello
10-23-10, 00:09
My Toyota FJ Cruiser can beat up your Jeep... :neo:

I like my Jeep.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_1vxvP2NBwEo/TMJt7uiqVMI/AAAAAAAAC1I/EvbSBawnEsg/s800/DSCN0134.JPG

Rider79
10-23-10, 00:32
Nice. What brand of tube fenders are you using? That's one of the next things I want to install on my 1991 Wrangler.

jaxman7
10-23-10, 00:37
Dennis,

Nice TJ. These new Jeeps (JKs) have way too much electronics and the new minivan motor is way underpowered at low rpm compared to the older straight 6.
As far as this 'special edition' Wrangler goes its pure cheese IMO. The Jeep line up is a straight descendant of a military requirement (although that path has been veered off along time ago) and is one of the iconic symbols of the greatest war our country has ever been involved in. How about one with a military edition theme with paint, wheels, tires,emblems, etc to match. If anyone remembers the low production Willy's edition TJs this was very similar to what I am describing and I thought they looked pretty cool.
Another option might be to make a military themed Jeep with a certain amount of the profit going to the Wounded Warrior Project. Now that would be a real special edition.

-Jax

Belmont31R
10-23-10, 00:37
Thats because you don't have power anything and replaced much of the drive train.

It seems like a weekly basis my wifes Jeep has another new issue that has to be fixed, and to top it off it only gets 13MPG city to start with when other vehicles in its class are getting 20-25.

Hers is only 5 years old, and if we fixed everything would need almost every electrical component replaced, the tranny is sucking, and its recently sprang an oil leak. Its stranded half my family, and half my extended family on the side of the road at one point or another. The only reason we still have it was it was gifted to us, and its cheaper to keep fixing it than to buy another vehicle. You can even walk up to it, and giggle things like quarter panels. They are loose. Its never seen any serious off roading, either. When you go over bumps you can hear the panels rattle. Never been in an accident so no cheesy body fixes on it. Sometimes the running lights work sometimes they dont. We've spent over a grand trying to fix that. The dealership has no clue, ect. Half the speakers are blown out.

So no I would never spend my own money on a Jeep. Judging based on the comments online we are not alone in these types of rampant issues in Jeep products.

jaxman7
10-23-10, 00:48
Belmont,

Sorry to hear about your Jeep. Where is the leak coming from? Those year range models are prone to leak from the valve cover and the rear main seal.

-Jax

Rider79
10-23-10, 00:56
Belmont,

What year and model Jeep is it?

Belmont31R
10-23-10, 01:35
2005 Liberty w/ 3.7L 4WD and 103k on the clock...

Would not be my choice of course but kinda hard to turn down a free paid for vehicle.

Belmont31R
10-23-10, 01:46
Belmont,

Sorry to hear about your Jeep. Where is the leak coming from? Those year range models are prone to leak from the valve cover and the rear main seal.

-Jax

I know where the leak is coming from....a slow drip from the oil pan gasket and I can fix it myself but its just a long list of shit that has gone wrong on this vehicle. I know a car with 103k is going to have some mech issues but these types of things started with it less than a year old like having to get the CPU replaced at under 25k miles. Im pretty anal about regular maintenance so its been taken care of that way. Just seems like there is always something broke on it.

jaxman7
10-23-10, 03:20
I gotcha and didn't realize it was a Liberty. I had Wrangler on the brain. Unfortunately those things are plagued with problems. There have been numerous technical service bulletins and recalls (you might want to call your local dealer, give him the VIN and see if you have any pending) for the powertrain,electrical systems,engines, etc. I worked at a Jeep dealership for about 2 1/2 years and there were Liberty's constantly having TSBs and recalls performed. Of course they weren't the only Chrysler product that had problems but definitely a 'regular' in one of the repair bays. Glad you got it for free though.

-Jax

randolph
10-23-10, 06:11
I had an 03 liberty sport 4x4 "cute-ute" as my daughter called it.
I bought it in 05 w/ 10k miles on it from a guy who towed it behind his RV. I put 70k on it, gave it to the GF whos driven it for 3 more years and has 110k on it now.
the only issue we ever had was batteries. Im on the 4th battery and when they go out, there's no warning. One reason I bought it was it was pretty stripped down, not a lot of bells and whistles to go out.

I never really considered the KJ as a "jeep" although it did fine offroad in the hill country. plus having a true transfer case was a big selling point.

I gave it to her because it was just to small for me. I moved up to a LR3 which has been flawless.

my co-worker drives a 4 door jeep, its fine around town, Id hate to have to drive that thing on the freeway daily...

(sorry for the tangent)

120mm
10-23-10, 07:15
I really, really love my 95 Cherokee. The straight six Cherokee is one of the most under-rated rides ever, imo, window problems and all.

You can get them for nothing and they run forever, provided you address a few well-known and easy/cheap to fix issues.

The new generations of jeeps are all assed up, however.

Army Chief
10-23-10, 07:46
I like my Jeep.

As do I (2001 TJ).

AC

Armati
10-23-10, 08:12
I really wish Jeep would get a clue. Jeep owners want Jeep performance. Ok, if you are out to impress high school girls or mini-van milfs at Walmart then, maybe I can see where they are coming from.

But now that FIAT owns Crysler you would think they would have more diesel offerings. And for the love of God not every diesel engine in America has to be a 6L!

The 2006 Jeep Liberty CDI got 22-26. Why can't they offer the Unlimited Rubicon with a diesel?

120mm
10-23-10, 08:23
I really wish Jeep would get a clue. Jeep owners want Jeep performance. Ok, if you are out to impress high school girls or mini-van milfs at Walmart then, maybe I can see where they are coming from.

But now that FIAT owns Crysler you would think they would have more diesel offerings. And for the love of God not every diesel engine in America has to be a 6L!

The 2006 Jeep Liberty CDI got 22-26. Why can't they offer the Unlimited Rubicon with a diesel?

Well, in a nutshell, it's because the EPA and DOT suck balls, and the Big Three automakers are overconservative.

Rider79
10-23-10, 08:28
My mom has a 2006 Liberty, with 84k on it, that she just bought. I drove it for a week while I was back in PA, the ride kinda sucked but it was ok overall. She picked it up to replace her '05, which she had just totalled. I don't think she had too many problems with it. On the other hand, my girl has an '07 and she's had nothing but problems. Various recalls and other problems, including her rear windows falling off their tracks. I know, WTF.

That being said, I don't really consider Liberties as being real Jeeps. I picked up my '91 Wrangler a week before I turned 19 (I'm 34 now), it has 170k on it, I've replaced the 2.5L 4 cylinder once, done regular maintenance on everything else, and it runs fine. Its not a daily driver though, I'll leave it sit for a couple weeks at a time. The only time I really drive it is to take it in the desert for shooting. It has no carpet, no drain plugs, no rear seat, and no AC. Until recently the only top I had for it was a bikini top. Just picked up an old hard top from a CJ for it. I'd like to get the interior Rhino-lined, and if I could swing it, take the tub off and Rhino-line the underside too. I'd also like to put tube fenders on it, a small lift, and 31" tires.

As for the diesels, the common rail diesels that were in the Liberties were a great idea I thought. If I had the funds and could figure out how to do it, I'd put one in my Wrangler. Just like the posters in the thread on here about the Toyota HiLux, I don't see why they can't put a small diesel in the Wrangler for the American market. They already make them like that for the foreign market. Of course they need to keep the price low as well. Having models of the Wrangler that MSRP for over $40k, like the Unlimited Rubicon, is absurd.

Rmplstlskn
10-23-10, 08:29

I know it just one of many sold, but my friends CDI Liberty was ALWAYS breaking down and she had lots of problems with the CDI... She sold it after a few years and never looked back....

Rmpl

ryanm
10-23-10, 08:29
I have a fully built out 2007JK Unlimited. Most of the major components are swapped at this point so I haven't had some of the issues that affected other JK owners. I will say think hard before going with 37" or taller tires. Lots and lots of upgrades required after you go that route or you end up with a lot of weak links in the chain.

The brakes were good up to 35" after that it became a semi-truck. I-70 heading east or west outside of Denver is hair raising with all the idiots that drive like its hot-wheels race track. I don't think I will ever take that stretch of road in the Jeep again. I'd go 1000 miles out of my way to avoid it.

Belmont31R
10-23-10, 11:05
My mom has a 2006 Liberty, with 84k on it, that she just bought. I drove it for a week while I was back in PA, the ride kinda sucked but it was ok overall. She picked it up to replace her '05, which she had just totalled. I don't think she had too many problems with it. On the other hand, my girl has an '07 and she's had nothing but problems. Various recalls and other problems, including her rear windows falling off their tracks. I know, WTF.

That being said, I don't really consider Liberties as being real Jeeps. I picked up my '91 Wrangler a week before I turned 19 (I'm 34 now), it has 170k on it, I've replaced the 2.5L 4 cylinder once, done regular maintenance on everything else, and it runs fine. Its not a daily driver though, I'll leave it sit for a couple weeks at a time. The only time I really drive it is to take it in the desert for shooting. It has no carpet, no drain plugs, no rear seat, and no AC. Until recently the only top I had for it was a bikini top. Just picked up an old hard top from a CJ for it. I'd like to get the interior Rhino-lined, and if I could swing it, take the tub off and Rhino-line the underside too. I'd also like to put tube fenders on it, a small lift, and 31" tires.

As for the diesels, the common rail diesels that were in the Liberties were a great idea I thought. If I had the funds and could figure out how to do it, I'd put one in my Wrangler. Just like the posters in the thread on here about the Toyota HiLux, I don't see why they can't put a small diesel in the Wrangler for the American market. They already make them like that for the foreign market. Of course they need to keep the price low as well. Having models of the Wrangler that MSRP for over $40k, like the Unlimited Rubicon, is absurd.

One of our rear windows is off the track, and we have to push it up every so often.

Rider79
10-23-10, 15:27
One of our rear windows is off the track, and we have to push it up every so often.

I think that's one of the recall items. You should check with your dealer.

ST911
10-23-10, 17:55
I have hundreds of thousands of miles in Jeeps (XJ, YJ, TJ). My daily driver is an XJ with over 200k. Lots of time on roads and deep in the back country. I've replaced only a short list of nit-noids and expected wear items, but no majors.

Recommended.

Funny this thread comes up... Yesterday, I happened upon the Jeep Rocks and Road Tour at Mall of America in Bloomington, MN. They are set up right across the street from MOA next to Ikea. You can do short on- or off- road test drives of current Jeep models. They also have activities for kids, a climbing wall, and refreshments.
It's free of charge, and worth your time if you're a Jeep fan or thinking about one. No sales people, no sales pitches, just information.

Rocks and Road Tour will be at several locations around the country coming up, including Fayetteville (AR), Fort Worth, and Charlotte (NC).

See it here: http://www.jeep.com/en/experience/events/rocksandroadtour/

Moose-Knuckle
10-23-10, 17:58
I miss the old Jeeps that you could literally hose out after a day of fun. . . :(

Everthing has to be so damn "Gucci" these days.

m4fun
10-23-10, 19:13
Jeep love here - 2001 TJ Sahara - very modded and a daily driver - more so than when this pic was taken here:

kittyhawk
10-23-10, 19:20
I love my LJ it has 50000 trouble free miles so far. I put a 3" lift and getting 33x10.5x15's on it in 2 weeks. It will go anyware I want it to go. I bought it for a DD and am slowly building it up. My only issue is the DAM auto tranny( my wife is 6'1" and could not get her long ass legs up to push in the clutch even with the Misch seat extenders) so I am stuck with just about the worst auto tranny every made. I need to rear-gear really bad, going to 4.88 this spring that should breath some life in to it.

m4fun
10-23-10, 23:24
Kittyhawk - consider 4.56 gears if 33s are a goal - check out OCC - good resources.

Folks - dont bash the Jeep - its aftermartket is one of the greatest. Literally the AR of cars IMHO. Stock is a rarity, but very easily modded. The new one are obviosly the longest to get that aftermarket. The "regular" Jeep as in 2 door, non-extended, still meets the requirements of the original 1940s model for width, etc in small streets.

Hate Chrysler now if you would, the Jeep is still the true American. Past that, I too am skeptical of anything US made via Unions, including Jeep. Look at GM/Tarp and you support a Union(like all of them) hell bent on destroying America.

Mac5.56
10-24-10, 00:13
You know what I find really funny about the original photo posted by the OP?

It's been photoshopped. The photo of the jeep was cut out of its background and pasted into that awesome Jeep like terrain. That alone makes me loose even more respect for Jeep.

MistWolf
10-24-10, 00:39
I have loved all my Jeeps! Jeeps always get the best parking
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Jeep/Beowolf.jpg

I miss mine. Had to sell it when we moved to Delaware. Need to find another

Mac5.56
10-24-10, 00:49
I have loved all my Jeeps! Jeeps always get the best parking
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Jeep/Beowolf.jpg

I miss mine. Had to sell it when we moved to Delaware. Need to find another

Yea well, that is a Jeep!!!! And I don't get any indication that the photo was altered... :)

Kentucky Cop
10-24-10, 16:06
I use to be in the Jeep scene back in early 2000. After reading this thread, I really miss it. Practical took over and I sold my last built CJ-7 for a Grand Cherokee with a V8. A few friends of mine still do the Jeep Jamboree's and Moab runs.

My 2 cents, check out these links. Hardcore, trail proven, no nonsense after market suppliers. I have seen there stuff in action and its as strong as it looks.

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/ best complete long arm suspension you can get

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ bombproof drivetrain etc.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/nthdegree_tj/ this is the company that started the hemi-conversion kits if I memory serves me correctly. Great Stuff...,

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html Tom Woods driveshafts. Well respected on the trail

http://www.pirate4x4.com/welcome1.php Good forum to get you started. Get your learn on here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcPdrO4icQ0 Watch this and tell me you don't want a trail built rig!

KY Cop