PDA

View Full Version : .308 Build

Buckeye0311
10-22-10, 22:07
Next fall I am going to have the opportunity to go on a bear hunt in West Virginia and I was thinking about building a semi-auto .308 for that. What do you all think? Will .308 have enough balls to take a black bear? This is just the very beginning of this possible project and any oppinions are welcome. Thanks.

VanceW
10-22-10, 22:35
I guess it depends on how big that furry critter is. Don't see many bears down here outside of the zoo. :)

I'd want to know for sure that I could take it down, so I think maybe you might want to think a bit bigger. Maybe the 450 Bushmaster cartridge for starters.

Belmont31R
10-22-10, 22:56
308 is fine for black bears. Just use a quality hunting bullet not a typical AR round like a FMJ or OTM. You want to use something like a Nosler Partition, and make sure they work in the gun first.

Buckeye0311
10-23-10, 23:19
What about barrel length? I was thinking about a 16", but because I want all the energy I can get from the round should I stay at around 18"?

carbinero
11-01-10, 16:59
What's your estimated distance? 16 vs 18 is a good question, but don't neglect what's on the market for that alone. Like, if you are thinking LMT, don't get Brand X off the shelf just to get a 18. Also, consider the hotter rounds now available which would help you bridge the GAP. Oh, did I capitalize that?

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2010-custom-rifles/ga-precision-precision-ar-10.html

elephantrider
11-26-10, 21:07
As Belmont suggested, start with an appropriate bullet or factory cartridge (depending on if you plan on handloading or using factory ammunition?). Whether or not you should use a 16" or 18" barrel will depend on the range of the longest shots you plan on taking, the bullet or factory ammunition you are using, and what the minimum required velocity is for the selected bullet to make a clean first shot kill.

You can use an online ballistics calculator (like JBM Ballistics www.jbmballistics.com) to see what kind of enery/velocity the bullet will have over its flight.

You can search on this sight to see what kind of velocities people are getting with various loads out of their 16" and/or 18" barrels. If I remember correctly, you can expect about 2500-2550fps out of a 16" with 175gr bullets.

I woulnd expect more than a 40-70fps difference between the two lengths with any load.

WWhunter
02-04-11, 17:11
.308 if fine. I have shot a few and they are not hard to kill. Even shot a couple with bow.
Only issue I would think about is if you are hunting bait or going to be stalking/walking much. Most .308 "black rifles" are a little on the heavier side and can get a little much if you are over hill and dale chasing after yogi!!
WW

DTHN2LGS
02-04-11, 18:11
Personally, I would get an 18" barrelled .308 to get the most I could out of the cartridge. My choice would be LaRue Tactical.

MistWolf
02-05-11, 02:40
Within the range black bear are normally hunted, the difference in velocity between the 16" and 18" barrel isn't much. Personally, I'd rather have an 18" or 20" barrel for hunting as those lengths are far more pleasant to shoot a 308 from than a 16" barrel.

The 308 will perform fine against black bear as long as you chose the right bullet for the job. Keep in mind that upon impact, a good bullet sheds velocity faster than it does weight. The combination of black bear, semi-automatic rifle and 308 Winchester calls for a well constructed 168 gr bullet.

You can also go to the various ammunition maker's websites & check their recommended 308 loads for taking black bear

Buckeye0311
02-06-11, 15:34
Thank you for all of the helpful info!! My thinking is that I want to build a rifle that I can hunt black bear, and get into longer distance shooting with. Keeping that in mind what type of optic? 1-8x?? Thanks again. God bless

Buckeye0311
02-06-11, 15:37
WWHunter, I will be stalking/ hunting with dogs so there will be walking/running and your words were already thoughts in my mind about weight and distance not being my friends. A 18" bolt action might be a little easier to lug around. Thanks for the info.

NE450No2
02-26-11, 16:18
I have killed several black bear.
I did kill one with a 20" 308, it was a single shot, I usesd a 180gr Woodleigh Soft, but I would be just as happy with a 165 Trophy Bonded Bearclaw, or a Nosler Partition.

I think a M1-A bush gun or a scout squad with a 1.75-6 Leupold would be hard to beat.

Supergrade
03-13-11, 18:02
What's your estimated distance? 16 vs 18 is a good question, but don't neglect what's on the market for that alone. Like, if you are thinking LMT, don't get Brand X off the shelf just to get a 18. Also, consider the hotter rounds now available which would help you bridge the GAP. Oh, did I capitalize that?

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2010-custom-rifles/ga-precision-precision-ar-10.html

Get a GAP

LS71500
03-17-11, 17:28
.308 w/the right bullet is plenty for black bear. As usual its all about shot placement but some of the best loads to use would be Hornady's premium stuff or some Federal premium. Look for a load that features the Barnes X bullet, Nosler Partition, or some of the newer bonded ballistic tips.