Magic_Salad0892
10-23-10, 04:32
3'' Barrel
.38 +P or .357
SA/SA
14/7 oz.
5 Rounds

For you revolver guys, or Templar or something:

Why isn't this revolver known more? I was thinking of picking one up, is there anything I should know? Problems?

Is there any better alternative?

One that might hold six rounds?

I don't know much about revolvers, so I don't know what I don't know.

Help me. :confused:

For revolvers I'd kind of like to stick with S&W. So I'd appreciate if any alternatives were made by them.

M4Fundi
10-23-10, 06:27
My 0.2 cents
It is a Scandium frame in 5 shot. i.e. super light carry, but not a fun shooter. The scandium frame 44mags get bought up before hunting season each year in MT as bear protection guns and usually most hit the pawn shops early in season because the guys go out to sight them in and decide they are useless and miserable to to shoot because of recoil, but on the other hand I have a buddy with bear paws for hands who is a competitive revolver shooter who competes with the 325 in 45acp and kicks ass with it and I have shot it and am surprised and how fast and manageable it is, but I still would not like to shoot a 357 in a small scandium frame. Does it have a place for self defense? probably, but I personally would rather carry something I can shoot alot and enjoy and get good with that most likely will not beat the crap out of me. If you are carrying in th mountains and the weight of a few xtra ounces on a steel frame is some how prohibitive then get the scandium for carry and be happy, but I went thru the mountain carry for self defense thing years ago and decided that a 629 Mountain Gun was what I needed as I could shoot it and get good with it. It still was miserable "for me" to shoot Corbon bear loads with but a joy with 44spl. Figure out the need and if scandium is truly a need. If it is not get a steel frame.

RWK
10-23-10, 06:45
What do you plan to do with it and how do you plan to carry it? The allure of the 3" bbl revolvers is that you have a standard-length ejector rod, as opposed to the shorter rod on the 2" bbl guns.

Magic_Salad0892
10-23-10, 16:26
It's going to be a carry pistol for a little while, as my Glocks are out of commission.

I don't own any 17 barrels. I sold them all and am getting factory Glock 34 barrels that I'm going to have ADCO, or somebody thread for suppressor use.

(I know, I'm an idiot. But I've always wanted an excuse to get a good S&W revolver. Better now than ever, right?)

My current carry is a H&K P2000, but that means my girlfriend isn't carrying.

(Which doesn't matter right now because she has the flu and will be home for a few days.)

It'll only be used with .38.

jsbcody
10-24-10, 01:55
I carry one everyday when on on duty and sometimes off duty. I have mine fitted with a Crimson Trace grip (the one with the recoil pad) and load it with .38 caliber +P ammo. I also have a Bianchi speed strip and speedloader loaded with .357 mag. I usally carry on m

Can you shoot .357 out of it? Yes, but I wouldn't want to shoot a more than 25 rounds out of it at a time. I practice with .38 caliber wad cutters, which makes a big difference when practicing. I always finish my practice with 5 .38 +Ps or 5 .357 mags out of it.

Some people like the shrouded hammer models better, but I like the option of being able to shoot DA or SA.

gtmtnbiker98
10-24-10, 07:34
It'll only be used with .38.In that case, save the money and buy a 442/642.

RWK
10-25-10, 07:11
It's going to be a carry pistol for a little while, as my Glocks are out of commission.

I don't own any 17 barrels. I sold them all and am getting factory Glock 34 barrels that I'm going to have ADCO, or somebody thread for suppressor use.

(I know, I'm an idiot. But I've always wanted an excuse to get a good S&W revolver. Better now than ever, right?)

My current carry is a H&K P2000, but that means my girlfriend isn't carrying.

(Which doesn't matter right now because she has the flu and will be home for a few days.)

It'll only be used with .38.

If your normal carry is a G17, why not just get a factory replacement bbl for use until your 34 bbls come in? You'd save a lot of money.

If you have the itch for a J-frame and are just looking for an excuse to buy one, I'll recommend the M&P 340 with a set of CT grips and a trigger job. But, you're looking at about $1,000 for it. You could spend a few hundred less on a 642 but, won't have the reduced weight or a tritium front sight.

Magic_Salad0892
10-25-10, 12:25
It's between a Model 64, and a Model 10.

I'm not looking for a small gun, I'm just looking for a midsize revolver.

4'' Barrel.

What do you guys know about these options?

K Frame.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765431_-1_757767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

I want to get a Model 64, but if the consensus is the model 10 then I'm picking it up. My local fun shop has both. For decent prices.

I need one anyway as a back up CCP.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766346_-1____ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

WC 2-3
10-25-10, 12:44
If you are going to get a revolver that large, why not go with an L frame 686? Smith is also making an L frame that doesn't have a full length lug so it would be lighter.

Magic_Salad0892
10-25-10, 13:07
I'm not going to be shooting any .357, so that capability is useless to me.

Also, my fun shop doesn't have one and it isn't worth it to have one shipped to me with a capability I'm not going to use.

John_Wayne777
10-25-10, 16:52
If you want a medium sized revolver then consider the Night Guard series. They have some useful features like sights from this century.

jsbcody
10-25-10, 17:06
There are some nice S&W Model 66s with 2 1/2 inch barrels for sale on Gunsamerica. I believe they were trade ins from Aussie Conservation Agents.

Magic_Salad0892
10-25-10, 19:30
If you want a medium sized revolver then consider the Night Guard series. They have some useful features like sights from this century.

I appreciate the recommendation, but tomorrow I'm going to pick up the Model 64, and try to find a CTC Grip for it.

Any that you recommend?

C-grunt
10-25-10, 23:12
I appreciate the recommendation, but tomorrow I'm going to pick up the Model 64, and try to find a CTC Grip for it.

Any that you recommend?

That is a great gun you are buying. I had a model 15, blued version with adj sights, and it was an awesome shooter. You will be well served by a model 64.

glock19.com
10-26-10, 15:27
another reason I think you don't see a ton of them is just price

many people just won't pay the extra over a 637 for a few ounces weight and 357 capability

usually stock both were I work most everyone just goes with a 442 or 637 instead

I had a 360PD I shot 10 .357 out of it that was enough
darn thing killed my crimson trace laser grip twice with just a steady diet of 38+p

It was however so light that it was unnoticeable in a ankle glove

REDinFL
10-27-10, 08:55
Depends how you are going to carry it. A 5 shot J frame works well in a standard pocket (it's what I carry). Longer barrel gets a bit more velocity but hinders carry in pocket as it lengthens the gun. If you are not going to carry in pocket but IWB, for example, lots of model 60s out there and best for the purpose, 66s. Old 19 is fine but they're not stainless (66 is a stainless 19). Not designed for continuous .357 use but will go a couple lifetimes on standard .38 special. So, you practice with .38 specials, shoot off a few .357 to get used to them, and carry .38+p mostly, or .357 if you want. You lose a lot of the .357 benefit in short barrel guns because the powder doesn't have a chance to burn and goes out in a large fireball instead. Specialty powders alleviate this but you have to look for them (Buffalobore).

My "big" carry is a 627, which is 8 shots, stainless and heavy. It's my solution to everything as I don't live in bear country (would go to .44mag. if I did, though I don't care for .44 other than that).

So, how will you carry is your first question; be realistic.

I also recommend getting a .357 in the pocket gun IF you are going to get a .357 in a larger revolver, too. You won't normally load it with more than .38 as above but, as a backup, you want to be able to shoot whatever ammunition you have with you. If your main revolver fails or is lost or damaged, and you have a backup with 5 shots of .38 and a pocketful of .357 .....

Good luck with whatever you decide.