PDA

View Full Version : Colt 20-Round Mags-Pre Ban

hals1
10-23-10, 16:30
I realize there is probably a better place to post this question, but can't find it.

Just picked up 18 Colt 20-round mags at a gun show. Three for$10. Eighteen mags for $60 seemed too good to pass up. They appear to be well used, but in good condition. Since there are no "Ban" markings, I assume they are pre-ban. They are marked "CAL .223".
Most of them have painted floorplates but I can still make out "Colt" on them. I'll strip the paint later.

I took a couple apart and there isn't any serious rust on anything. They have metal followers with a tail about 2/3 as long as a new Magpul 20 round follower.

Are these good stuff? Should I replace the followers? If so, with what? My understanding is that the Magpul enhanced followers are strictly for 30-round mags.

Advice is needed quickly, as the show is over tomorrow at 3 and I won't have computer access tomorrow after 7:30 AM (have to work). If it's a really good deal, I'll go buy him out tomorrow during lunch.

If not, I know I can sell them for $7-8 locally just because they are Colt.

Thanks in advance,

Hals1

ucrt
10-23-10, 16:46
I realize there is probably a better place to post this question, but can't find it.

Just picked up 18 Colt 20-round mags at a gun show. Three for$10. Eighteen mags for $60 seemed too good to pass up. They appear to be well used, but in good condition. Since there are no "Ban" markings, I assume they are pre-ban. They are marked "CAL .223".
Most of them have painted floorplates but I can still make out "Colt" on them. I'll strip the paint later.

I took a couple apart and there isn't any serious rust on anything. They have metal followers with a tail about 2/3 as long as a new Magpul 20 round follower.

Are these good stuff? Should I replace the followers? If so, with what? My understanding is that the Magpul enhanced followers are strictly for 30-round mags.

Advice is needed quickly, as the show is over tomorrow at 3 and I won't have computer access tomorrow after 7:30 AM (have to work). If it's a really good deal, I'll go buy him out tomorrow during lunch.

If not, I know I can sell them for $7-8 locally just because they are Colt.

Thanks in advance,

Hals1

=========================

Look at this LINK (http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/magazines/rawlesfaq.html). I don't know how reliable the info is or how old it is but it is a start. If the link is correct, it looks like you may have some old Air Force mags.

But remember...condition is everything but someone may want them for their retro rifle.

Buck
10-23-10, 16:50
I have a stock pile of older Colt 20s that I use in my carbine and they work very well... Some of mine are 25 + years old...

Some of them may have BO springs, but that is a cheap and easy fix... Check the feed lips to ensure they are not bent or dented, but other than that you should be good to go...

B

payj
10-24-10, 01:05
Wow, that's a awesome price. My local gun shop sells the colt 20 rnds for $22 each

5pins
10-24-10, 08:46
Buy them, sell them it people in ban states then buy pmags with the money.

hals1
10-27-10, 20:44
I have a stock pile of older Colt 20s that I use in my carbine and they work very well... Some of mine are 25 + years old...

Some of them may have BO springs, but that is a cheap and easy fix... Check the feed lips to ensure they are not bent or dented, but other than that you should be good to go...

B

BO springs? What are those?

dc202
10-28-10, 01:07
BO springs? What are those?

BO=Bad order, meaning weak springs that need replacement.

hals1
10-28-10, 09:19
I'm thinking I need to check these mags out.
I figure to load 20, fire a couple, dump 15 and fire the last three. Does that sound OK?

g5m
10-28-10, 09:59
You made a good buy. Those are usually very good mags.

scottryan
10-28-10, 14:56
The aluminum followers should not be replaced.

Stickman
10-28-10, 15:16
The aluminum followers should not be replaced.

Agreed, the 20 round USGI mags have always been known for high reliability. The followers are great. Clean them, drop in a new spring, and ignore anything else for another 20 years.

hals1
10-28-10, 16:13
I thought at the time of purchase I was pretty lucky, but now think I was Very lucky.
Maybe I'll just keep these and try to get more (at the same price).

Anybody interested if I can find more? PM me. Might be able to find the guy at a nearby gun show in Nov or Dec. I just need to make enough to make a 200 mile round trip worthwhile. Six of them will fit in the smallest Priority Mail box.

If you are interested, make sure you will really be legal. I understand that in some states they not only have to be pre-ban, but have to have been in the state pre-ban.

Thanks,
hals1

Grumpy MSG
10-28-10, 16:44
You were very lucky indeed. As advised the metal followers will be fine. Clean and inspect them for damage, make sure there is no rust on the springand test fire them. Then mark them using a numbering or lettering system so that in the future you can identify a magazine if it gave you problems on the range.

hals1
10-28-10, 17:11
... Then mark them using a numbering or lettering system so that in the future you can identify a magazine if it gave you problems on the range.

I have a trash can for that. At $3.33 apiece, I can afford to go trouble free.

Bye the way, what is a good source for replacement springs. Any other trouble and in the trash.

Grumpy MSG
10-28-10, 17:38
I have heard a lot of referrals for Wolff Springs: http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=2&mID=1&dID=79
I have never had to replace any of my 20 round mag springs, if the were 30 rounders, I'd recommend getting spring and follower kits from C Products or Magpul. As for the marking system it just helps to know I was shoooting magazine XX and I had a failure to feed, I need to see if it happens again. If I do recognize a repeat offender, I then need to replace, retire or relegate the magazine to "training" knowing it will occasionally act up and create a "SPORTS" moment.