PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 24?

ca_fireman19
10-23-10, 17:21
I was at a garage sale this morning and came across a very curious rifle...I mean shotgun...I mean and over/under .223/20ga combo. It has a synthetic stock and a side mounted weaver rail. I am not very familiar with Savage arms, especially this one. Can anyone tell me about it? It's in probably 90% condition. Any idea what it may be worth? Thanks.

ChicagoTex
10-24-10, 01:12
Savage has made several over-under rifle/shotgun combo guns over the years. Everything from .22/.410 to .30-30/12ga. By far the most common are the ones chambered in .22LR or .22 Magnum on the rifle barrel, and .410 or 20ga on the shotgun barrel.

They're basic utility guns: generally reliable and durable and the potential flexibility advantages are obvious. Be careful when firing crap ammo in them, however, as some owners have reported that Wolf, Silver Bear, etc sometimes lock up their gun. As with most such guns, finding a good zero with the sights that works for the rifle barrel and shotgun barrel can be a real pain - I think this is why most people who buy these guns eventually end up reselling them.

While not made or sold in overwhelming numbers, they're not really collector's items. Looking up Savage M24s on Gunbroker shows them going for anywhere between $250 and $500 depending on condition and configuration. Because you have a .223, which is a somewhat rarer, I'd say $400 would be fair for the condition you describe.

Good luck!

ca_fireman19
10-24-10, 01:18
Thanks for the info.