PDA

View Full Version : Venison Tenderloin (Self Harvisted)

bgoode
10-23-10, 18:41
Thought I'd share the fruits of one successful outing during deer season :)

Trim all "Silver Skin" from the venison. From what I have read with venison, if its white, toss it. If its read EAT IT :)

Take butterflied tenderloin and marinade in Italian dressing for 6 or 8 hrs. I added garlic, pepper and salt to my marinade mixture. Not alot of salt due to wrapping with Bacon for grilling.

Wrap in bacon and gril on high heat till searing outside as good as possible. I could have gone a tad more well done with these but basically once firm but not mostly resistant to touch I pulled them off grill. What id call Medium and in some places maybe a medium rare.

Couple fillet Mignon steaks also :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/bgoode/db83429e.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/bgoode/2bd638ee.jpg

gotta have extras while the grill is hot!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/bgoode/3083e244.jpg

Bacon never stays on :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/bgoode/35e0af5f.jpg

Done!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/bgoode/cca1d794.jpg

DTHN2LGS
10-23-10, 19:17
Great, now I'm hungry. :thank_you2:

We cook ours wrapped in bacon too, except for the marinading (we aren't going to wait that long).

Wetwork
10-23-10, 20:24
waterfowl also. Most folks who hate duck or geese love it when I do it just like that. To go one step further, butterfly the butterfly and add a small slice of pepperjack cheese and some brown sugar. Then rewrap with bacon...mmmmm!-WW

Mikey
10-23-10, 22:23
Looks good, Brian!

I typically hunt in the evening, so processing goes well into the night when successful. Due to this, I am partial to tenderloin, eggs, and toast the next morning.

Mike

LHS
10-23-10, 22:49
When I was in the Scouts, we helped some hunters in the adjacent campsite get their fire started, and hang their deer. In the morning, they cooked us fresh venison steak and eggs. Delicious!

My favorite venison marinade is as such:

1 cup Sangria
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 teaspoon each Parsley, Sage, Thyme, Ginger, Rosemary

Let the meat marinate for 24-48 hours in the fridge. Then sear and grill slowly, basting the meat with the remainder of the marinade.

Yummy!

tuck
10-24-10, 00:59
Nice!

I usually just do a marinade of worcestershire sauce with a bit of seasoned salt, and garlic for 2-4 hours then grill until medium-rare.

I'm definitely going to try the italian dressing marinade, and bacon though, that looks delicious. :drool:

LHS
10-24-10, 01:02
Nice!

I usually just do a marinade of worcestershire sauce with a bit of seasoned salt, and garlic for 2-4 hours then grill until medium-rare.

I'm definitely going to try the italian dressing marinade, and bacon though, that looks delicious. :drool:

My mom used to make a tenderloin dipping sauce out of mayonnaise and Worcestershire sauce.

tuck
10-24-10, 01:31
My mom used to make a tenderloin dipping sauce out of mayonnaise and Worcestershire sauce.

Really? I never thought of making a sauce to dip the tenderloins in... It sounds kind of intriguing though. Care to share the recipe?

LHS
10-24-10, 02:31
Really? I never thought of making a sauce to dip the tenderloins in... It sounds kind of intriguing though. Care to share the recipe?

Small saucer of mayo + about 5-6 dashes of Worcestershire. Mix with a spoon until blended. Dip tenderloin. Eat.

:)

She usually pan-fried the tenderloins like steak tips, then we would dip them in the sauce before eating them. Mom always just called it 'Worcestershire sauce', so I spent years thinking that the whole concoction was so named. I bought a bottle of Worcestershire sauce once and was surprised and annoyed that it had no mayo in it.

tsonda
10-29-10, 19:42
While I have been know to wrap them in bacon and grill them, growing up everything except the tenderloin and backstrap was made into sausage. We chicken fried the tenderloin and backstrap. Heck when my folks had a calf processed, the steaks were cut thin to chicken fry. Chicken fried rib eye is mind blowing.

I of course have learned that not everything has to be fried...though it can be. :)

bgoode
10-29-10, 21:53
good ideas! Im heading back out in the AM for another deer. Got new arrows and broadheads and if its in range its meat in freezer!

jklaughrey
11-01-10, 23:13
We are big into bite size where I live and a buddy of mine who is a chef makes his own marinade for elk, deer, etc... But he said his number 1 main ingredient in his marinade is Mt. Dew. I know, but really it makes it so tender and juicy. He just mixes it with whatever he wants to marinate with and lets it sit overnight covered in the frig. Then voila grillin' time.

randolph
11-02-10, 04:30
thats either the largest tenderloin in a Deer ever, or thats the backstrap ;)
the tenderloins are on the inside of the ribcage, dont forget them next time.

Looks good, Venison, wild pork, squirrel, ducks and fish were my proteins growing up.

bgoode
11-04-10, 05:38
The tenderloins are butterflied to get them a little larger :)

MeanRider
12-19-10, 13:43
I have venision prepared like that and it melts like butter in your mouth and yes you just made me very hungry.

LHS
01-05-11, 22:54
I managed to get a buck this year, and one of my coworkers cooked up a half-gallon of venison curry for me with the meat. I have no idea what exactly he put in the curry, but it was delicious. I finished the last of it on New Year's Eve, sitting next to a campfire in the Arizona mountains. Fitting, no?