PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Holster Purchase/Carry

SmokeJumper
10-23-10, 21:23
It's time to replace the Uncle Mikes ankle holster for my S&W 442 J frame (hammerless). I'm interested in the Renegade ankle holster with pull through retention strap. I can't find any pics of them. Anyone have any experience with these, got some pics? I need it to fit over 9-inch Danner duty boots like the Acadia/Olympic. Pros/Cons, thoughts appreciated.

Spurholder
10-24-10, 10:44
http://www.gmstactical.com/reanho.html

Renegade makes a good ankle rig. For an ankle rig, that is...:D

Madnik
10-24-10, 17:21
I rely on a Renegade 500 Cozy Partner for my ankle carry needs. It rides comfortably and securely. You could do much worse.

kaltblitz
10-24-10, 22:12
I've used the Renegade #50 for a little over a year now for my 442. No issues.

jamaicanj
11-25-10, 11:31
The galco leather ankle glove (about $70) is very durable and comfortable.

ST911
11-25-10, 11:57
My usual input on ankle holsters is below.

If you will be wearing a tension band holster of some sort over boots, don't plan on moving it back and forth between those boots and normal footwear with any great success or satisfaction. The band will get differential stretching and take a set.

Don't skimp. Buy a quality holster that's contoured correctly, sized properly, and does not require over or under tensioning in order to stay in place. Nerve or vascular damage can occur if the holster isn't worn properly. If it offers one-size-fits-all or universal adjustment, beware.

Off-the-shelf mass-produced ankle holsters are sized, proportioned, and contoured for average-sized men. If you are not "average", pay attention to taper and contour and their effect on bone/muscle structure at the ankle and calf.

Counter-balance the weight of the gun with weight on the other side. A spare mag, light, or other weight helps to even out your gait and limit other tendency to "throw" the weighted leg.

Be sure to try all of the different styles and pairs of shoes you wear with your choice of holster, and be willing to change one or the other. I've had holsters that worked well with athletic shoes that were intolerable with dress shoes, and vice versa.

Practice, practice, practice deployment.

Style, cut, and construction of pants should also be considered. Finer material may wear quickly. Consider having your tailor reinforce fine dress clothes. To preserve a dress look, increase the rake of your hem with greater drop to the heel. If material and appearance are less an issue, add 2" to your inseam and drive on.

If you carry the really lightweight guns like LCPs, scandiums, and sometimes the airweights, they will mask the failures of lesser holsters. If you want to carry more gun, like a Glock subcompact or an M&P compact, you will need a better holster.

I ankle carry a G27 12-18 hours every day. I use only Alessi ankle holsters to maintain comfort and prevent injury. I've been able to carry G19s and G23s on the ankle as well, when the advice above is heeded.

gigag04
11-27-10, 02:32
I'm using the Galco ankle glove with my Kahr P380 both on and off duty. It goes over boots, or around just my leg w no problem.

indyboater
12-08-10, 08:54
I'm using the Galco ankle glove with my Kahr P380 both on and off duty. It goes over boots, or around just my leg w no problem.

You said you are using a Galco ankle glove, yet Galco told me they don't make a holster for the p380. Did you find another model hoster to fit the gun? If so, please tell me the model number as I have ankle gloves for two other guns and love em.

Thanks!

Georgie Boy
12-09-10, 02:53
I've been carrying a 642 in an ankle glove damn near every day for a little more than three years now and can't complain one bit.

SmokeJumper
12-10-10, 23:47
Thanks for the input/info. In regards to the Galco Ankle Glove, have you experienced a need to replace it due to the wear on the Neoprene ankle band or does the Neoprene seem to hold up?

Dos Cylindros
12-10-10, 23:50
Galco ankle glove, there is no other. I have worn one on patrol for years, and it has been through countless foot chases, over fences and fights. It has never failed to retain my gun, and is very comfortable. Look no where else.