PDA

View Full Version : P30 Reset - LEM vs DA/SA

kjdoski
10-24-10, 09:10
Hi, all. I've been itching to pick up a P30 since the first time I held one, and I'm getting closer to dropping the hammer on one. I think I want to get one with the LEM trigger (which I'll upgrade to the heavier reset spring, most likely), but the reset on the LEM that I dry fired last week seemed VERY long.

I grew up with DA/SA pistols (M9s and M11s), and, if there's a speed/accuracy advantage in to be found in the SA reset of the P30's DA/SA, I'd be willing to train through the DA pull. But, dry firing side-by-side, I didn't notice any appreciable difference in reset point between the LEM and the SA trigger.

Does anyone have the reset distances handy, to see if I was hallucinating?

Thanks!

Kevin

YVK
10-24-10, 10:43
Kevin, I don't have any measurements, but having fired P30 in both configurations, I believe you're not hallucinating and there is no perceptible difference between the two.
To add to spr1 point, I shot Todd's pistol and had no issues with working trigger, although it was relatively slow familiarization fire. I then spent a couple of hundred rounds through a rental DA/SA P30 and, being a Glock and 1911 user, had several instances of frozen trigger due to my failure to let trigger reset.
If I were to go P30, I'd have to equally work around reset with any P30 variant.

gtmtnbiker98
10-24-10, 11:10
They are quite similar in reset. IMO, reset is over rated. If you are willing to train, you will learn the reset, regardless of variant. I personally prefer the V3 and have never suffered from trigger freeze. With that said, I only own and shoot HK DA/SA pistols. I am a big advocate of consistency and platform standardization.

Lucky Strike
10-24-10, 12:36
If you don't mind spending $300 more then you can send it off to Grayguns for his complete action job which includes reducing the reset length.

I just got my LEM P30 back from him and the reset is about 60% of stock length. Haven't had a chance to go out and shoot it yet but dry firing feels really nice. The break is very clean and the reset is positive feeling. Still a little longer then ideal just for my brain...when letting it out I'm like "this is where I think it's going to reset" but it doesn't until I let out another 1/8 inch or so. That just seems like something that'll go away though as I actually put rounds through the gun.

Greyguns can reduce the reset to 50% of stock but they state that doing so should only be for competition guns so I opted not to go with that package as I intend to use the gun as a CCW in the colder months.