PDA

View Full Version : SCAR as precision rifle?

rob_s
10-25-10, 05:47
Any thoughts on this?

FNH USA SSR (http://www.fnhusa.com/mil/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF065&gid=FNG020&mid=FNM0005)

http://www.fnhusa.com/support/images/dynamic/milm/FNM0005mb.png

Rated21R
10-25-10, 08:23
The reviews I have read have been pretty positive so far. Most users of the 17S (in just about every config.) are saying good things.

RAM Engineer
10-25-10, 12:42
I have no experience with the 7.62 SCARs, but my box-stock 16s with a chrome lined barrel is as accurate as any semi-auto I've ever fired. With a longer receiver or PWS rail extensions, I can see it excelling in the SPR role.

mkmckinley
10-25-10, 14:24
The MK17 is capable of surprising accuracy even with its relatively thin barrel. The Mk20 looks to have a thicker barrel and possibly other tweaks so I would expect it to shoot very well.

taliv
10-25-10, 19:22
i sighted in a friend's 4x ACOG and SCAR light from a bench this summer. I was surprised how well it shot. I was expecting much worse. Haven't even got to hold the heavy yet, but am looking forward to it.

From the pictures, that stock looks REALLY short. Even with the extended butt, it looks too short, and that thing looks like it would hang on everything. It also looks unbalanced. Balance is imho even more important in precision guns than in run 'n gun carbines. (yeah it doesn't matter shooting from your belly, but try holding on a target from sitting or kneeling for 5 minutes with a gun that's barrel-heavy, suppressed, or too light in the ass)

I like using either a bean bag or monopod under the stock when shooting prone, and it's not clear but doesn't look possible to do either.

308win from a 20" bbl isn't a fantastic recipe for "1000 yards and beyond" as advertised on the link you provided.

Not sure if it's internet legend or has some basis in reality, but I've heard repeatedly that SCARs are very rough on optics (frequently breaking high quality ones). If that's true, I'd be very hesitant to put one of my USO or S&Bs on that gun.

all that said, i've heard great things and am excited about it. hope it works out for them

welchtactical
10-26-10, 04:00
That with a standard stock, 16in barrel, Elcan Specter DR 7.62, Battle Comp BABC, and a AFG is what I want. As said, I'd just be happy with the standard 17S with the PWS extention.

Sensei
10-26-10, 23:52
I'd say the factory trigger is the limiting factor in the accuracy department for my 16S. It is about 0.5-1 lb heavier than the factory trigger on my Colt 6920s.

Sean M
10-28-10, 14:19
The SCAR's are pretty good at beating up optics. But not the high quality optics. They beat up, and cause zero loss in the EOTech's, Elcan Specter DR's, and others that cannot withstand the added recoil impulse transfered to the receiver. Nightforce and Leupold both have scopes in the field on Mk17's, and are holding up just fine.

Stock Mk17's are capable of sub-MOA accuracy out to 1000 yards, which is why a SSR variant was envisioned, and developed.....to see just how accurate the platform could be made. The Mk20SSR will have an improved fire control system(match trigger), no full auto option, and enough rail space to accomodate the accessories needed by a sniper for long range day/night engagements. There is already a fixed stock available for those who prefer it over a folding stock, and can replace the SSR stock if so desired.

In most units it is designed to be fielded as a Support weapon, and will not necessarily replace the Mk11 or M110 as the primary 7.62 rifle. Time will tell, and each unit fielding the Mk20 will certainly have a say in whether or not it replaces existing rifles.

RAM Engineer
10-28-10, 14:30
There is already a fixed stock available for those who prefer it over a folding stock, and can replace the SSR stock if so desired.

Got a picture?

Sean M
10-28-10, 15:03
It is identical to the folding stock, except that it does not fold. And there is not a hinge for it to fold. Everything else, cheek piece, LOP adjustment, etc. is the same.

There is a pic in the SCAR picture thread of a 16S SBR in Desert DigiCam with a fixed stock on it.

RAM Engineer
10-28-10, 20:15
It is identical to the folding stock, except that it does not fold. And there is not a hinge for it to fold. Everything else, cheek piece, LOP adjustment, etc. is the same.

There is a pic in the SCAR picture thread of a 16S SBR in Desert DigiCam with a fixed stock on it.

Where would one purchase one of these stocks?

Sean M
11-01-10, 13:14
That I can't help you with. I would say "Contact FNH", but given their lack of support to us mortals in regards to the 16 and 17S, I can only guess they are not yet available to the masses.

I wish I could be more helpful..............but give it time, I am sure they will release them, and if not, someone else is sure to design an even better non-folding stock, target stock, sniper stock, etc.

Suwannee Tim
11-10-10, 04:22
It would be with a precision 20 or 22 inch barrel in .260.

Milgauss223
11-25-17, 12:40
I can attest to Scars beating up optics for sure. I have a 17s and the first Vortex I had on it would not hold zero at all and actually twisted the reticle. Vortex fixed it for free obviously, but none the less it does beat up cheaper optics. The 17 now sits with a NF and have had no problems. As far as accuracy, with SMK 175g I can shoot 3/4 MOA.

HKGuns
11-25-17, 13:12
The absolute best I can shoot with my SCAR and my handloads, that shoot just dandy in other rifles, is about 1.5 - 2.0 MOA and that is the BEST I can do with the rifle. The SCAR is NOT a precision rifle.

I also have the G-Trigger in the rifle as well, so the trigger isn't a factor.

shotmeshotu
11-25-17, 14:38
Scar 17's for example are multi purpose rifle, they serve a wide range of usability and if not can be easily mod to be slight different so it all depends on the user.

Milgauss223
11-25-17, 15:03
Couldn't agree more. It has the posibltity of being near and far reaching and 762x51 is easy to come in many variations, where as say, 6.5 creedmoor not so much. Is it a precision 1000 yard gun? No.

irondude
01-13-18, 21:40
With 175gr SMK I am getting 1 MOA groups on my better days. I am running a Geissele trigger in mine. I love this rifle. I am hoping to get a 6.5 CM barrel conversion this year.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Art/SCAR-17S/i-JcKHHCW/0/b592ae7a/X3/4-X3.jpg

hypno02
01-13-18, 23:39
My SCAR17 was far from a precision rifle. It was a 1MOA rifle at best with match loads and even worse it had a wandering zero issue. (with both a CQBSS and NXS F1 3.5-15)

Not to mention the scar system has horrible ergonomics compared to an AR10.

I now own a LMT MWS and feel it's just as reliable and I know for a fact that it shoots much better. And built much tougher. (.75moa rifle w/ match loads and not a single zero shift.)

Only pro of the SCAR (and I mean only) is weight savings. Safety position is horrible. Buttstock is garbage. No forend real estate. And a President Trump shithole trigger that takes $250 to replace. Still not worth it.

**ETA** The SCAR also takes shithole mags.

Mjolnir
01-29-19, 14:49
Well, the Mk 20 SSR is out as is the 20S.

Has anyone tried either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RHINOWSO
01-29-19, 20:03
Yeah, hater's gonna hate. My SCAR 17 13" can shoot 1 MOA with 168gr OTMs when I want it to.

Great thing is if you don't like the SCAR, don't buy the SCAR. Plenty of regular AR10s for you! :p

Jsp10477
02-01-19, 22:26
I’ve never shot a SCAR. I pawed at a 20s and it was interesting enough but I wouldn’t give up my MWS for it.

undertoe
04-07-19, 06:36
Yep same boat. Scar is cool but way more options for a long range gun with an AR platform.

Yeah, hater's gonna hate. My SCAR 17 13" can shoot 1 MOA with 168gr OTMs when I want it to.

Great thing is if you don't like the SCAR, don't buy the SCAR. Plenty of regular AR10s for you! :p

Falshooter
04-08-19, 07:19
IMO they aren't capable of what it takes to be a true precision rig. YMMV, but I don't see the mechanical accuracy being there, especially with hot barrel.

Pappabear
04-11-19, 20:39
My good friend Pablo, has a 13.5 with 1-4 Elcan and can make 1,000 yard first round hits with crazy consistency. I shot the gun and didn't love the recoil impulse as a CQB gun, (rattled my brain) but its an accurate shooter.

Again, its a 13.5 , not a long gun.

PB

RetroRevolver77
04-13-19, 18:46
Yep same boat. Scar is cool but way more options for a long range gun with an AR platform.

The SCAR is at least standardized but it's not that rugged and needs more development. The .308 AR however is an absolute mess of manufacturers each offering up their own competing version of some proprietary non cross compatible design. It's why I've kept my old school standardized battle rifles. I'll stick with proven reliability on standardized 7.62NATO weapons while using bolt guns for precision.

RR77