PDA

View Full Version : Handgun mount

Will_Die_Trying
10-25-10, 06:02
Trying to find a "universal" flashlight mount for the rail of a pistol.

Instead of carrying a flashlight and a weaponlight or no weapon light at all, I was thinking if I had a rail mount handy and i could EDC a micro flashlight that could just double as a weaponlight.

Just trying to simplify things. Anyone with info on a universal flashlight mount that will hold more than just one brand of mini lights, please help me out with the info

Thanks

SWATcop556
10-25-10, 06:12
For handgun use I would strongly recommend using a weapon mounted light that is designed for this purpose. Rigging a handheld WML to a handgun is just not beneficial with all of the quality options out there. A carbine is one thing but not for the handgun. This would greatly hinder method of deployment, holster selection, etc.

ghettomedic
10-25-10, 07:04
As I understand it, you want to carry a small light and then mount it to your EDC weapon if/when the need for a WML arises?

I'd caution you against that. I know there are so-called experts and companies trying to sell lights that are meant for use in this matter but as I see it this is conterintuitive. If you know far enough in advance that you might need to use your weapon that you have time to mount a light to it then you have time to leave the area, find better cover, marshal spouse/children to safety, call 911 and leave the line open, etc. Unless you are an LEO with a duty to respond to a threat, all these options will bode better for your long-term survival than mounting a light to your gun in anticipation of a gunfight. If you find yourself backed into a dark alley with no kids, no wife and no available cover, then I'd pull my E2DL from my back pocket and use it's beam as the first step in my force continuum. Getting a quality flashlight out of your pocket and into a Harries/Rogers/Ayoob shooting stance takes an additional second, rather than wasting time fiddling with a WML mount.

I've carried my EDC gun with a WML. Holster selection can be limited, but having the light on the gun is paramount. Check out BladeTech and Raven Concealment for a list of options and buy an appropriate purpose-designed WML.

Entropy
10-25-10, 07:10
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/sgalbra76/duct-tape-rolls.jpg

Chameleox
10-25-10, 07:17
I'd echo ghetto medic's advice...

and add that having a mounted light on a CCW gun without a dedicated holster is not the best idea. This option will keep you from quickly reholstering if your threat turns non-deadly, or you get blindsided by an unknown and have to fight. This has been tested in training and has actually happened in LEO circles.

sammage
10-25-10, 10:10
Either get a weaponlight (i.e. TLR-1, Surefire X300 etc.) or a Surefire G2Z for pocket carry.

TomF
10-25-10, 14:02
The need for a weapon mounted light is likely to be in a scenario where you will not have nearly enough time to retrieve your light from a pocket or belt, draw your pistol, mount the two, then go to work. It also assumes you will have use of both of your hands. As mentioned, it also precludes your from re-holstering until you disassemble the combination.

If carrying a lighted pistol is a priority for you, I would highly encourage you to seek a suitable holster for that purpose. That last line isn't a sales pitch - there are many out there. Do your homework and select one that will work for you, though I feel we offer a great option for this need.

Mike169
10-25-10, 16:33
I'm not necessarily a proponent of this, but I think this system might meet your needs.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/rls/

Chameleox
10-25-10, 19:31
...though I feel we offer a great option for this need.
I think so too. ;)
The downside is that weapon mounted light holsters do take up a bit more room on your belt or inside your waistband. If it works for you, and fits, great, but if not, consider EDC'ing a handheld light.
Also, if you shoot a league that prohibits mounted lights, you might have to make sure that your holster will work with or without the light, or just get another holster, if you have the cash.

ghettomedic
10-25-10, 22:53
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/rls/

This is exactly the kind of system I cautioned against in the first place. I can't believe Safariland, who have a great reputation for quality duty holsters, would produce a turd such as this. Just get a Surefire and be done with it.

A weaponlight stays mounted to the weapon. Period.

Metallicus
10-25-10, 23:23
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/sgalbra76/duct-tape-rolls.jpg

:sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic:

In regards to your question, you could always have a surefire Xwhatever on a rail mount on your belt or in a pocket and use it like a regular flashlight then mount it on your rail if necessary.

I wouldn't, but I see what youre trying to accomplish here.

It's better to have a weapon mounted and a smaller one specifially for search everyday use. Surefire G2/G2 LED is what I use, works great and if I lose it its not the end of the world.
(I left one in a movie theater somewhere, some lucky kid is using it to search for gum under seats.)

Remember
One is none

TAZ
10-26-10, 09:38
1000+ on the advice to pick a method and train in it till you are blue in the face. Either get a good handheld and become proficient with it it get a dedicated WML. A dedicated WML is designed to work on a gun. Generally they are tested to do so, heck even with dedicated resources insuring that the light doesnt impede gun function you still get a combination that causes issues. Just cause a carbine will function with a light duct taped to it doesn't mean that your handgun will. With a WML there is also a good chance that you will be able to find a holster that will work. Lots if makers out there are offering light compatible models for either duty or concealment. Contrary to popular belief it's not that difficult to conceal a gun and WML given a quality holster and belt. If I can make a G21 and x300 work in the TX heat and humidity without stickin out like a sore thumb then most anyone can as well.

Another thing to consider is the safety aspect of mounting the light under stress. Do you really want your hand fumbling around the muzzle of a loaded weapon during a fight?? I consider myself a safe shooter and do my best to live the 4 rules 24/7 but even so under stress I am not going to be getting my hand anywhere near the business end of a weapon if I can help it.

jjw
10-26-10, 09:49
[QUOTE=ghettomedic;795833]This is exactly the kind of system I cautioned against in the first place. I can't believe Safariland, who have a great reputation for quality duty holsters, would produce a turd such as this. Just get a Surefire and be done with it.

well said

there are a ton of protocols to use a light form a belt holster or pocket
if ur gun does not have rails then g/medic is 101%correct

we are a training and equipment company in Ohio. we see a large quantity of junk if we do civilians.(don't do many)

surefire or pocket. find a qualified trainer and learn the correct way

good luck

Will_Die_Trying
10-27-10, 02:59
Thank you for the advise guys

I am still waiting on my CHL been at the dps for a month, so I dont have experience in concealed carry.

I will take your advice on maybe just carrying with light attached and having a seperate flashlight.

Maybe you can help me figure it out.

I realize the Kel-tec pf-9 is suppose to be a hit and miss gun but its small and compact and i tried on some larger compact 9mms like the glock 26 and the m&p 9mm compact and then a kahr pm9. None were as comfortable IWB as the keltec. I will actually carry this gun everywhere and everyday. I will just fluff and buff it and keep it clean and lubbed. Not a gaurantee but better than neglecting it and hoping for the best.

So I put a hard chrome pf-9 on back order and am waiting. I am willing to consider a full time rail mounted light if you guys know of one that will be somewhat slim to match the "relative" ease of carry of the pf-9 and if you know of a IWB holster that can hold it. I checked out Raven and they would need to do it custom, which i am considering. Are there any other holsters for light mounted pf-9s?

Also if i go with a holster and gun without a light, maybe I can learn a good way to hold the flashlight and gun at the same time. To sound ignorant a bit here, but I have seen on tv where hollywood police will hold the flash light out and put their gun hand on top to stablize for a shot. Is there some sort of way I can learn the proper way to do this? Then I could just sans the weapon light and get a nice blinding led flashlight.

Thanks for the advice.

ghettomedic
10-27-10, 11:59
I am willing to consider a full time rail mounted light if you guys know of one that will be somewhat slim to match the "relative" ease of carry of the pf-9 and if you know of a IWB holster that can hold it. I checked out Raven and they would need to do it custom, which i am considering. Are there any other holsters for light mounted pf-9s?

Also if i go with a holster and gun without a light, maybe I can learn a good way to hold the flashlight and gun at the same time. To sound ignorant a bit here, but I have seen on tv where hollywood police will hold the flash light out and put their gun hand on top to stablize for a shot. Is there some sort of way I can learn the proper way to do this? Then I could just sans the weapon light and get a nice blinding led flashlight.

Man, I feel crappy for continually raining on your parade, but I want to see you in a system that will work for you. Truth be told, you're going to have a hard time finding a holster for a PF9 and ANY WML. Simply said, the strength of the PF9 is it's thinness, a WML negates that strength.

My completely unsolicited advice: spend the money were were going to use on a WML and custom Raven Holster and buy a Crimson Trace Laserguard, laserguard-compatible IWB holster and a Surefire Handheld flashlight. Once you've done that, save up for a low-light training course with Hackathorn, VTAC, TigerSwan or one of the other reputable training outfits. These items and the skills learned in the course will translate into greater real-world lethality than any WML/holster combo ever could.

As far as using a handheld flashlight with your handgun, devote as much practice time to using your gun with the light as you do without the light. Notice that I didn't say shooting time or round count. I know it's tough to find ranges and opportunities to shoot in low-light conditions. I can only find 2-3 times a year to shoot in the dark, but I try to make up for it in dry-fire practice and weapon manipulation drills. I spend a good hour or two a week on clearing corners, speed reloads, tac reloads, weapon/reaction hand only drills, etc both with a WML and a handheld light.

A good starting point to get you on your way would be the Wilson Combat "Night Master" DVD featuring Ken Hackathorn and Bill Wilson. A little dated, but the techniques described are still in use and form the foundation of fighting with a handheld light. Clint Smith's Thunder Ranch "Defensive Tactics" DVD also has a lot of time devoted to the use of handheld and WM lights.

To wrap it up, I'm glad you're getting your CHL. I'm glad you've decided to avail yourself of the considerable resources of this forum in order to make the best decision about your carry gun and I'm glad you're committed to the idea of carrying a white light along with your gun. I hope my opinions can help you along on this journey and hopefully prevent you from making some of the mistakes I've made.

Noodle
10-27-10, 12:25
second the Surefire X300 or X400. Have an X400 on a G19. Works perfectly!

Will_Die_Trying
10-27-10, 23:04
Not to drag this post on too much more as I think I am starting to see a good direction to take, but...

So I am thinking to taking Ghettomedics advise.

I was thinking of a crims laser and a holster to boot. then just carrying a regular led flashlight and rather then using a mechanism to over come my lack of experience with "low light" conditions, actually get training or at the very least get an instructional video and dry practice the techniques.

No offense to GhettoM but it is the internet. If I could get a few others to "second" the motion it would help.

If there is anyone that objects and think I should stick with the WML and holster then please list some options available for the keltec pf9 as my search is bringing up literally one available light and holster option.

Thanks again for the feed back.

Metallicus
10-28-10, 00:15
Contrary to what you hear not everyone should have a $3000 dollar 1911 with a light attached in a kydex holster. In fact not only do they not need it, they shouldn't have it for reasons outlined by many others on this site before.
Think of it like this, if you are a Cowboy action shooter and you shoot a lot with a single action army its better to carry that old six shooter then to get a high speed heat seeking missle launcher with a thermal sight. Buy what you will train and use, ive seen people with "outdated" "insufficent" "low capacity" revolvers outshoot even the best "high speed rigs." Ive also heard of many people with these outdated systems defend themselves sucessfully. May I remind you that many world speed shooting records are held by Jerry Miculek. Training should be at the top of your list. It really boils down to this,
"Amatures talk hardware professionsals talk software" -Dave Harrington . If it makes sense to you then do it. Dont try to justify it to anyone besides you're the one that has to live with it, or die with it.

THERE rant over.

Now for an actual sugestion, as far as a "new" shooter looking for a firearm to carry or for defense purposes. I say start with a glock 19 or 17. They arn't for everyone but they are the quintessential service weapon. Honestly I would say if you want a low matinence reliable accurate weapon, and dont like glocks the best thing to do is...learn to like glocks.
Whatever gun you get, learn its drawbacks and limitations the fun way, by killing paper bad guys. Then upgrade or change from there.

Get a good holster, train and shoot a lot, youll learn within a couple thousand rounds what works for you and what doesnt.

liberty057
10-28-10, 08:36
You definitely want to go with a dedicated weapon light that is always mounted to your pistol, and then get solid holster for it like a Bladetech or a Raven. As alluded to already in this thread... when things go bad, the last thing you wanna do is to be fumbling with trying to mount a light in the dark while under stress.

M4arc
10-28-10, 13:47
Gents, I'm going to close this one down. You all provided open and honest answers to the OP so it's nothing you did wrong.

Apparently the OP (who is obviously new to firearms and the internet) got all butthurt over another moderator closing down his DPMS threads and sent emails to all the site sponsors saying how he was going to protest this site and inform his "circle" to do the same.

Now I've personally reviewed all his post, the responses and the moderators actions (and so has the other Staff members) and nothing was out of line. In fact, I'm proud that everyone took the time to help out a new shooter in a polite and respectful way.

So if he's going to take exception, get all bent out of shape and email all our sponsors he'd be better off on some other websites. This place isn't for him.

Thanks goes to you guys for providing honest opinions and feedback.