PDA

View Full Version : Squeeky/loose hanguards 20" Cav. Arms

jaygee
10-25-10, 10:21
Looking for suggestions here on how to settle down a newly acquired set of Cav. Arms 20" AR handguards
in FDE. These guys look great and with some trimming at the junction of the barrel nut, fit quite well.
Problem is the center area of the handies is kinda loose, and they squeek and move around too much.
There are locator pins inside to align the top and bottom, altho they are not of the tightest fit...so there
is some lateral movement possible. Any ideas on how to get rid of the noise on these otherwise great
handguards????

armakraut
10-25-10, 13:22
Contact the manufacturer.

Cavarms handguards are usually tight and well fitted in my experience.

devildogljb
10-25-10, 16:38
def contact cavarms there shouldnt be that much movement. They could of just had the machine set wrong and took too much material.

motorwerks
10-25-10, 17:50
one of my MOEs was a little loose and when I contacted them they said....

Ben,
Thank you for contacting us. MOE Hand Guard fit can vary somewhat between AR’s due to the fact that every manufacturer builds to their own specifications and tolerances can vary widely (especially among non critical parts such as the Delta Ring). Just like our stocks, some hand guards will fit tighter and some will be looser depending on the specific AR they are fitted to. Also, there can be some very minor tolerance differences depending on the color of the polymer.

You can sometimes snug up the MOE a bit by using a strip of Scotch tape on the outside rear flange as a shim. Conversely, a narrow strip of Teflon tape on the inside where the Hand Guard contacts the ‘toothed’ part of the Barrel Nut can sometimes help too.

If these resolutions do not solve your issues please let me know and we can try replacing it with a different Hand Guard.

I ended up using a strip of electrical tape, till I gave that one away my next one was FDE and nice and tight. So who knows.

jaygee
10-26-10, 12:52
I just got off the phone with a rep. of Cav. Arms, and he checked out a set of 20"s he had around
and was able to identify this issue right away. He says his "boss" will call back shortly. One thing
I might add about these particular handies is the fact that they are true M4 profile as opposed to the
full cylindrical models they make for the 20's and Middies. There is a slight taper from back to front
and the height is much greater than the width; kinda like a Carbine M4 handie stretched out to fit a
rifle. I really like 'em except for the too small pins/too big holes, and all the accompanying noise.