PDA

View Full Version : G17 sight question....

jmoore
10-25-10, 21:15
Background: 50 years shooting - mostly 1911s for the last 40 or so. Have had a G17 around a year (also an MP 9).

Problem: The pistol shoots left. Yes - everyone says that's what happens when newbies shoot Glocks - but it does it when I shoot left hand, on a rest, or let someone else shoot it. Does it with the three ammo types I've tried so far. Was at a training class this weekend - and another Glock shooter had his rear sight drifted so far to the right that the instructor thought it was falling out.

Some have said - get a new set of sights! Well - the stock night sights "look" fine, i.e., they don't appear cut off center or anything like that. Front sight appears centered and aligned. If that is the case - new sights probably won't do much good??? If it's not the sights - then where would the problem be? I don't want to end up drifting my rear sight halfway out of the slide like the gun I saw this weekend (also a G17, btw).

Any and all input greatly appreciated.

jm

PS - If it means anything - I shoot the MP 9 fine. Not as tight a group as the Glock - but definitely center so that POA = POI. The Glock has a NY1/- setup in it now. It also shot this way with the factory setup on springs.

M4arc
10-25-10, 21:33
Call Glock tomorrow @ (770) 432-1202 and send it back.

SkiDevil
10-25-10, 23:50
Background: 50 years shooting - mostly 1911s for the last 40 or so. Have had a G17 around a year (also an MP 9).

Problem: The pistol shoots left. Yes - everyone says that's what happens when newbies shoot Glocks - but it does it when I shoot left hand, on a rest, or let someone else shoot it. Does it with the three ammo types I've tried so far. Was at a training class this weekend - and another Glock shooter had his rear sight drifted so far to the right that the instructor thought it was falling out.

Some have said - get a new set of sights! Well - the stock night sights "look" fine, i.e., they don't appear cut off center or anything like that. Front sight appears centered and aligned. If that is the case - new sights probably won't do much good??? If it's not the sights - then where would the problem be? I don't want to end up drifting my rear sight halfway out of the slide like the gun I saw this weekend (also a G17, btw).

Any and all input greatly appreciated.

jm

PS - If it means anything - I shoot the MP 9 fine. Not as tight a group as the Glock - but definitely center so that POA = POI. The Glock has a NY1/- setup in it now. It also shot this way with the factory setup on springs.

How many experienced Glock shooters have shot it?

Something to consider, it cost me around $70.00 to send my gun into Glock to have a repair completed. Nothing like your problem.

If you know or can locate an experienced Glock shooter or find a local GSSF match, it may save your pistol a trip back to Glock.

Because it may be how you are manipulating the trigger, sometimes using too much of your finger, like the distal joint of your trigger finger may cause the pistol to fire to one side.

Something to consider.

SkiDevil

Spiffums
10-26-10, 08:38
Most pulling to the left is trigger/finger control. I have been shooting Glocks for a long time now and I don't pull dry firing..... but let me get a little too fast than I should with live ammo and rounds start to drift left.

C-grunt
10-26-10, 10:18
Most pulling to the left is trigger/finger control. I have been shooting Glocks for a long time now and I don't pull dry firing..... but let me get a little too fast than I should with live ammo and rounds start to drift left.

Same here. I shoot Glocks more than any other handguns I have had combined. When shooting fast I will sometimes start pulling left.

gringop
10-26-10, 13:12

Problem: The pistol shoots left. Yes - everyone says that's what happens when newbies shoot Glocks - but it does it when I shoot left hand, on a rest, or let someone else shoot it.

How far does it shoot left from a rest at 10 yards? Glock plastic rear sights are pretty easy to drift to adjust for windage.

Who cares how bad the rear sight is offset? It's a G-17. Sight it in and shoot the heck out of it.

Gringop

EzGoingKev
10-26-10, 17:15
Are you shooting left and down, like in the 7 o'clock position on a round target?