PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this optic for AR-15 SHTF duty?

greywolf2112
07-25-07, 19:56
OK, I've had numerous optics on my ARs, and I think I have one (my 9mm AR with 8.5" barrel and suppressor) set up properly for its job - an Eotech with NV settings so I can use a GT-14 mono with it. 150 yards and less is optimum for this. No need for magnification.

My 16" M-4rgery for point defense has either a Millet DMS-1 or another EOtech.

However, thinking ahead to maybe get a medium range AR with a little more range for my tired old eyes. I was considering something that still could serve at very short ranges but also reach out and touch a bit.

So, what do you think of this?

http://sightron.com/index.php?action=view_category&cat_id=1047414614

1.5-6x with 42mm objective, great glass (I have two Sightrons and they are amazing for the price - they should be charging double what they do). Good FOV especially at 1.5x - my only real problem is the reticle (with it were 3 post german 4A, or maybe something more ACOG like, but for this price who cares?) One thing I really, REALLY like is the eye relief - I like a LOT of eye relief and it has around 4"

Opinions?

jmart
07-25-07, 20:20
I like your thinking, the 1-4x, 1.5-6x scopes have a lot going for them. No experience with Sightron, but I do have a 1.5-6x Burris mounted on a Swede BA and it's worked nicely for me.

Have you decided on a mount? Do you intend to run a BUIS? If so, the I could see where you might need a SPR-E mount, especially with the long eye relief. If you don't intend to run a BUIS, then you might be able to get by with conventional rings, but the eye relief may still force you to move the scope forward unless you are comfortable with your head position farther back. But if you are a NTCH shooter, and you go with this eye relief, I'm guessing you'll need to get the scope out fwd some and the SPR-E mount will be just the ticket.

Sam
07-25-07, 20:37
You may want to look at the Millett DMS-1 in the thread below. Illuminated Circle-Dot 1-4X.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5167

greywolf2112
07-25-07, 22:02
I like your thinking, the 1-4x, 1.5-6x scopes have a lot going for them. No experience with Sightron, but I do have a 1.5-6x Burris mounted on a Swede BA and it's worked nicely for me.

Have you decided on a mount? Do you intend to run a BUIS? If so, the I could see where you might need a SPR-E mount, especially with the long eye relief. If you don't intend to run a BUIS, then you might be able to get by with conventional rings, but the eye relief may still force you to move the scope forward unless you are comfortable with your head position farther back. But if you are a NTCH shooter, and you go with this eye relief, I'm guessing you'll need to get the scope out fwd some and the SPR-E mount will be just the ticket.

I've never been a NTCH shooter - I like to keep my cheek farther back on my Magpul M93B stock. I do run a Troy BUIS and GG&G MAD Buis, and they are pretty low - so I think I'd be ok with regular scope rings - i have some Leupold QRWs of various heights.

greywolf2112
07-25-07, 22:03
You may want to look at the Millett DMS-1 in the thread below. Illuminated Circle-Dot 1-4X.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5167

Got one already mounted on my "tactical" AR-15 M-4rgery. I like it so far, but I'd like some extra magnification but don't want to break the bank with an ACOG, and I like the ability to go from 1.5x to 6x