PDA

View Full Version : 24 Hour Fitness wants my FINGERPRINT

Det-Sog
10-26-10, 09:47
As part of their new check-in system. In true American fashion, they are trying to eliminate jobs by switching to an automated check-in system at the front door.

They are using biometric (fingerprint) scanners at the front door now at my gym, and plan to go nationwide with this system.

QUESTION: Am I being overly paranoid about a corporation having my biometric data on file? What's next, DNA? As a 22+ year LEO, I have nothing to hide. My concern is the usual "What if the data is hacked and compromised"?

Should I be concerned, or am I being overly paranoid? After all, I guard my e-mail address and SSN, I think I am a little more protective of my biometric data.

Thoughts?

500grains
10-26-10, 10:11
If you think that they will not either pass your fingerprint on when asked to or that they will not assemble a fingerprint database and then sell it, you are kidding yourself.

Irish
10-26-10, 11:22
As part of their new check-in system. In true American fashion, they are trying to eliminate jobs by switching to an automated check-in system at the front door.

They are using biometric (fingerprint) scanners at the front door now at my gym, and plan to go nationwide with this system.

Are they trying to eliminate jobs or desensitize you? Your SS# was never intended as an ID # and now try to do anything without it. You can't get a safety deposit box at my BofA without utilizing a hand print. Biometric data, facial recognition (which is everywhere now), naked X-ray machines... 1984 and Big Brother's watching.

Zhurdan
10-26-10, 12:17
You could always just use another gym and not support them, but that wouldn't be good for post counts. ;)

Det-Sog
10-26-10, 13:31
You could always just use another gym and not support them, but that wouldn't be good for post counts. ;)

That IS a probability. I just want to put some feelers out to make sure I'm not just being paranoid.

The more that I think about it, I do not want ANY private corporations having any of my biometric data. Once it's digitized, I can only imagine what could be done with it should it fall into the wrong hands.

They will have an alternate way to check in.. That will include a state I.D.. I can go for that... Maybe.

Fried Chicken Blowout
10-26-10, 13:44
My indoor gun club does the same thing. They also run backgrounds on all members. The club is only open to non-members for two visits then they have to sign up or can't come back. It keeps the gang banger and other strange folks out of the club. I'm okay with it... Or maybe I've just be desensitized... At my work I also have to finger print to access specific materials and the computer system logs what I pull out of the stock machine.

MechEng
10-26-10, 14:23
Do they want a whole set of fingerprints (all 10 fingers) or just have you set up your access with one finger? If they want the whole set then I'd be worried. If they want just one finger then you are probably being to paranoid.

arrigoni
10-26-10, 14:50
there is a provision at the 24 hour fitness that states you're not required to give your fingerprint for continued membership - your state photo ID will suffice.

tell them to f' themselves. I did.

http://www.24hourfitness.com/health_clubs/cardless_checkin/

sly409
10-26-10, 23:43
I don't think its required. I'm still using my membership card to check in. All my buddies did it out of pure convenience but I just havent had the time to sit down with them for the 5-10mins to set it up. Havent been hassled or anything. I'll probably get it set up one day or another.

Bolt_Overide
10-27-10, 05:46
If it were me, I would go in, ask to see the manager, and inform him that I will be discontinuing my membership because of the biometric crap, and that I will do my best to disuade anyone who wants to join their gym not to do so.

like most things commercial, vote with your money.

Gunfighter 9
10-27-10, 06:51
I have been finger printed so many times that I can't even count them. However, I don't like the idea of private companies having that kind of information. I have already had my identity compromised twice in the last five years alone because of shoddy security practices of former employers. I would hate to think what somebody could do with copies of my finger print etc. Besides if they are wanting to speed up the check in process, why can't they just issue a membership card and have you swipe that to check in? There would seem to be some alterior motive at work here since there are other options to accomplish the same task. IMO. I would cancel my membership and encourage others there to do the same.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-27-10, 07:35
I'm seeing a market for fake finger tips for use on these non-legal/legitimate applications. Just carry around finger tips on your key chain.

stifled
10-27-10, 08:48
I would ask to talk to a manager about it. It could be that they are against this system, but are being forced to use it by 'corporate.' A few complaints could go a long way to sway their opinion.

If it were me, a thumb print wouldn't be a big deal. A full hand print, and I'm taking my money down the road. Of course I work out at home...

rubberneck
10-27-10, 09:13
Why don't you write a nice professional letter to the CEO of the company telling him about your concerns and that he will lose a customer for life if they follow through with their plans. Good companies care what their customers think. If he doesn't care than more likely than not you'd be looking for a new gym in a couple years any ways.

Det-Sog
10-27-10, 09:34
Here's the deal. After sleeping on the issue for two nights, I have concluded that I am not going to allow a private corporation access to my biometric data. The government is one thing, but a private company, no.

I contacted the company by using the link that arrigoni provided HERE. (http://www.24hourfitness.com/health_clubs/cardless_checkin/)

I politely informed them that they would not be getting my fingerprint, and that I would not be carrying my drivers license onto the premises for alternate I.D. as (a) I am not driving while in the club, and (b) the possibility of having the license get lost while I am working out is not an acceptable risk.

As always, when complaining about a problem, I respond with a possible solution. Since they are only doing this to save money (cutting staff), I suggested that they raise my dues $1-$2 a month, and just keep the current system. I would gladly pay this to keep an american job staffed, and not to have to deal with this B.S..

In the end, I'll vote with my feet if common sense does not prevail.

PdxMotoxer
11-06-10, 05:33
I laughed at ours and asked them if they could guess which finger
i would let them use and then they would have my answer. lol

i use my i.d but i carry it because i don't trust it outside in our 24 parking lot.

Dionysusigma
11-18-10, 17:08
I have been finger printed so many times that I can't even count them.

This. Fingerprints on file with OSBI and FBI, and my current workplace. I've had my background checked so many times I'm fairly certain that my "file" just has a long list of "last checked" dates in it, aside from traffic violations and one time where I went a couple months without paying a cell phone bill... :rolleyes:

usmcvet
11-19-10, 10:35
OP good solution if it is bothering you just don't do it. I like your letter and support of jobs here at home.