PDA

View Full Version : Recommended .22lr handgun with picatinny rail???

pbmaster2k89
10-26-10, 10:08
what .22Lr handguns would you guys recommend that are capable of mounting a laser site?

jaxman7
10-26-10, 10:23
They are all 'capable' but what is the purpose of this setup?

d90king
10-26-10, 10:46
Not to be a smart ass but why in the world do you need a WML on a .22 handgun? Are you trying to use it as a training aid for low light?

Off the top of my head I dont think that dog hunts in the market place... I could be wrong as I have never looked for one...

pbmaster2k89
10-26-10, 12:30
yes it is for training purposes. not so much low light though

An Undocumented Worker
10-26-10, 18:38
S&W makes the 22A-1 with a rail, however the one i had was unreliable.

Berretta makes the U22 Neos but the grip is way too small and the sights suck.

Ruger MarkIII's have the option of mounting a rail.

And Browning makes several Buckmarks with factory mounted rails that still retain the iron sights, though any buckmark can have a rail mounted, but the aftermarket rails lose the rear sight.

Walther also offers a version of the SP22 that has an upper and lower rail.

All of the ones except for the Walther mount the rails up top for optics usage.

m98evolution
10-26-10, 18:44
The Ruger Mark III with a Tactical Solutions upper would be my recommendation. (You would need the non-fluted version for the picatinny rail mounted under the barrel)

Renegade
10-26-10, 19:09
yes it is for training purposes. not so much low light though

If it is a training aid, then why not go with a standard 1911, Glock, Sig, etc., with a 22Cal conversion kit?

pbmaster2k89
10-26-10, 19:30
If it is a training aid, then why not go with a standard 1911, Glock, Sig, etc., with a 22Cal conversion kit?

my brother has a sig but i will look into the glock and 1911.

btw i dont like the look of the rugers. they dont look very tactical.

if walthers are considered good guns, ill get a walther. i have one book marked

pbmaster2k89
10-26-10, 19:31
S&W makes the 22A-1 with a rail, however the one i had was unreliable.

Berretta makes the U22 Neos but the grip is way too small and the sights suck.

Ruger MarkIII's have the option of mounting a rail.

And Browning makes several Buckmarks with factory mounted rails that still retain the iron sights, though any buckmark can have a rail mounted, but the aftermarket rails lose the rear sight.

Walther also offers a version of the SP22 that has an upper and lower rail.

All of the ones except for the Walther mount the rails up top for optics usage.

if the p22 is a good choice. i do have one bookmarked cause i noticed it has the rail.

kartoffel
10-26-10, 19:47

And while you're at it, why not a Crimson Trace grip that will mirror the same sort of red laser that one might practically mount on a CCW piece?

An Undocumented Worker
10-26-10, 21:29
if the p22 is a good choice. i do have one bookmarked cause i noticed it has the rail.

Not the P22, the P22 is a pile of *BLEEP* the slide on those is made out of zinc and will eventually crack and fail.

I'm talking about the SP22 M3. It is a completely different pistol.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=13152&storeId=10002&productId=65150&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=48316&isFirearm=Y

jaxman7
10-26-10, 22:35
Pbmaster,

Are you trying to augment your training with your carry/self defense weapon and if so what kind of handgun is it? Also don't discount the Ruger Mark series. No they aren't tacticool looking and yeah I must admit it was my main turn off before I bought one earlier this year. Mine is a Mark 3 and it has been very reliable (which is something to be said about any .22 pistol),is more than accurate for my uses, and has a very nice trigger pull.

-Jax

ETA: I agree with the others, Walther's P22 pretty much sucks. It is unreliable, cheaply made (the controls feel aweful), the one I shot had some very weird looking slide wear on the rails. Yes it can be bought with a laser like you want but my neighbor and I never could get that thing zeroed. Oh yeh, and the laser is made in China which I also didn't like.

JmacAr
10-27-10, 00:37
I have a neos but I am not super impressed with it and don't like how it gets taken apart to clean. It shoots fine, but the rear sight comes lose and I have to re-tighten it every 3 or so mags. (I know this isn't the case for all neos' but happens to mine :()

DaveR
10-27-10, 08:21
I've seen plenty of people have problems with the P22 but I have thousands of trouble free rounds thru mine. I got mine because my Ruger MK II didn't have the feel of a regular pistol.

I agree that you would be better off with a conversion kit for a Glock for example, but they are hard to find at this point.

For more answers, questions, complaints and fixes check this link to rimfirecentral.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Dave