PDA

View Full Version : The next Washington shoot

GitmoSmoke
10-26-10, 10:16
I am going to reserve the Central Whidbey Sportsmans range for a shoot on 26 February. All three of my sons should be home at that time and nothing is better than time on the range with your kids. The oldest is rotatin gback to Ft Lewis from Germany, and the youngest will be back from Army boot camp. Since we had a great time up here last Sunday for the M4 shoot, I would like to extend an invitation to all members of the PNW training group to come shoot with us again.
The date is not set in stone yet and doesn't need to be locked down until 30 days prior the shoot, so if anyone has another date they would like let me know and I'll see what I can do. The date is also subject to change according to military leave scheduling. As we get closer the date will firm up. My plan for now will be sight in and pistol drill in the morning and IDPA style moving stages after lunch. Let me know if you would like to participate

GlockWRX
10-26-10, 11:01
I'm in for more, so long as ribs and brisket are included. :laugh:

I was already designing a couple of courses of fire on the way home. All left hand friendly of course...

This may be a good agenda:

Intros
Safety Brief
Sight in
Simple presentations from low ready and indoor ready
Pivots (left, right, etc.)
Kneeling and prone
Reloads
Barricades
Transitions to pistol
Lunch
More lunch
Just one more slice of brisket to top off
IDPA stages
Team barricade drills (I have some devious ideas for this)

GitmoSmoke
10-26-10, 13:29
Sounds like an excellent plan. If we can get everyone who is attending to think up one thing they would like to train on and find or develop a drill for it we can reduce the load on one person trying to come up with everything.

hid237
10-28-10, 22:08
Sounds great, I'm in. Hope to be up and running with my new set up by then.

RBarker
10-29-10, 09:48
Hopefully I will not forget about this one, whenever it is planned, like I have done with the others in the past

Fontaine
11-05-10, 00:58
I'm in!

GitmoSmoke
11-05-10, 14:20
The dates are going to be flexible until January 15th. That is when I need to have a firm date provided to the schedule coordinator. The dates I have available as of right now are Feb 20, 26, and 27 and March 5 and 6. That will let me have all three of my boys at home for this shoot. Let me know what will work for you guys too. The more people we get the more fun we can have. The shoot will most likely follow the basic schedule that GlockWRX came up with (thanks Jason). I hope to emphasize the drills my kids want to practice, and make it fun and a learning experience for the rest of us. I’d like to hear ideas from anyone who was here for the October shoot for new props, target stands or equipment to make the range function better.
They will also be picking the menu, although I can guarantee it will be BBQ of some sort. Pulled pork, ribs, and Brisket are their most requested items.

MookNW
11-05-10, 15:33
I vote for the 20th.

vader
11-05-10, 16:22
I vote for feb. 20th

GlockWRX
11-05-10, 16:27
The 26th and March 5th would be the best for me, but I could probably make any day work.

I'm going to make up a plywood barricade to shoot around. The other thing that works good is to take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with cement. Stick a 2x4 in (about 6-8 ft long) and let it cure . You can take a couple of these and staple plastic on them to make a wall or other feature.

I'm going to draw up a couple of scenarios based on those barrels and the stuff at the range we used last time.

ETA: Does anyone have a steel target, like one of the EAG ones? It's on my to-do list, but I doubt I'll swing it by then.

GitmoSmoke
11-08-10, 19:33
The board is very happy with the way we conducted the shoot, absolutely no complaints, even from the 22 shooters on the adjacent range. The group is welcome to come back for more.
Right now the 26th or 27th seems more likely, but I still need to see when my boys will want to shoot. The youngest graduates from boot camp on the 18th and might want to rest up for a few days. If I can't get them to agree to a date I'll set the time with the most votes from the group and the boys can show if they want to.
We won't be able to use any steel targets that aren't owned by the club. We did get in 2 pepper poppers that can be used for shotgun and pistol, and we now have a door in a frame that we can use as a training aid. With GlockWRX's plastic walls we can have a room to clear or hallway to navigate.

MookNW
11-08-10, 19:42
FWIW, It doesn't matter to me when we do it, I suggested the 20th because it was sooner rather than later.
This should be another great shoot. I'm glad we're in good standing with your club Gitmo.
Guys , Kaltesherz suggested we get some impromtu range sessions going. Maybe at WCA. I can take 3 guests on my pass at $10 a head. Maybe a range sesh, followed by food/fellowship. If anyone has any input on this throw it up!. It'd be a good way to fill the gaps between EPIC M4C SHOOTS!
_Mook

GlockWRX
11-11-10, 09:02
Guys , Kaltesherz suggested we get some impromtu range sessions going. Maybe at WCA. I can take 3 guests on my pass at $10 a head. Maybe a range sesh, followed by food/fellowship. If anyone has any input on this throw it up!. It'd be a good way to fill the gaps between EPIC M4C SHOOTS!
_Mook

I'd be up for that. I'm up in the Mill Creek/Evt area so it's not too far. Can we bring rifles in on your pass?

MookNW
11-11-10, 09:04
yessir

GlockWRX
11-11-10, 11:27
Sweet! If you set something up let me know.

vader
11-11-10, 15:02
I'm in for sure.

kaltesherz
11-11-10, 16:13
I'm always game. We can still do basic carbine up / down drills pretty easily at WCA and maybe get a little handgun action in, since my pistol skillz have been sucking. Trigger time is always good.

GitmoSmoke
11-23-10, 11:09
Gentlemen,
The scheduling director called me last night and asked for the date we want. I went with the date I first proposed for the meet, 26 Feb from 0900-1700. We will be using the same range that we used last time, and I made up several new portable stands that we can use to create more barricades as we want to. Hope to see everyone there. Menu will likely be the same as well.
Gitmo

GlockWRX
11-23-10, 11:44
I've got it on my calendar. Hoping to have the VTAC style barricades made by then.

MookNW
11-24-10, 22:07
I'm in, let me know what you need. I still have maybe 12-15 of those silhouettes from the last shoot.

GitmoSmoke
12-08-10, 10:13
Gentlemen,
The club has banned the use of steel jacketed or steel core ammuntion. Thought I should get this out so anyone comming for the Feb 26 shoot can plan ahead. Steel cased is fine, but if a magnet sticks to the bullet we won't be able to use it.

kaltesherz
12-08-10, 17:38
Gentlemen,
The club has banned the use of steel jacketed or steel core ammuntion. Thought I should get this out so anyone comming for the Feb 26 shoot can plan ahead. Steel cased is fine, but if a magnet sticks to the bullet we won't be able to use it.

FML.

Thanks for the heads up...

CLHC
12-20-10, 01:48
Will be keeping my eye on this thread here. :cool:

J8127
12-20-10, 21:24
I would love to attend this if I am not out of town training. I'll be watching this thread.

Peter Panzer
01-10-11, 15:40
This looks like an interesting opportunity. I have a few questions, but perhaps we are still too far out on the calendar before some of this information can be provided, nevertheless...

Is there a specific contact I need to get in touch with to arrange participation (GitmoSmoke) or is posting in this thread sufficient? Let me know as I would be glad to help with set up/take down. Also, I can bring plenty of AR-15 zeroing and 25 yard handgun targets should they be needed.

Has an approximate round count carbine/handgun been established?

If possible, I would like to know more about what the group would like to see by way of a rough agenda for the day. I see GlockWRX submitted one on 10.26.2010 (http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=796094&postcount=2), which is a great start. I suspect it's a good idea to keep things flexible, however a loose plan, based on what folks are interested in, might help us get the most out of our time.

Without making things too much like a "class," I would be interested in spending the day reinforcing the fundamentals and running drills/courses of fire not typically permitted on a public range (barricade use, movement, transition to secondary, etc.). Those of you who attended the first get together obviously have a better sense of what is feasible given the likely number of shooters to attend and the skill levels represented.

Given interest/time, we might also add at the beginning...

Warm-ups/basics (10m-25m):

familiarization with holdover
"ready-ups"
double taps
hammers

My thanks to those of you who have already put time, thought and effort into making this happen!

kaltesherz
01-10-11, 16:08
Here's some ideas based on the previous meets we've done:

Basic range / safety brief
Introductions
Check zeros / rezero at 50yds
10yd up / down drills (hold over)
10yd transition drills
25yd up / down drills
Basic barrier drill with movement
LUNCH BREAK
CCW practice / secondary practice
More complex barrier drills with movement
25yd move to contact drill (shooting while moving toward threat)

In previous meets we've had a certain amount of flexibility and kept a fairly relaxed environment with "big boy rules", hopefully we can keep it that way. I'll be bringing my V93 (HK33 clone) for others to try out and I'm sure others will plenty for Show And Tell...

Hopefully bkb0000 can make it, he's pretty good at running these but otherwise I'm sure Mook and GlockWRX should keep things smokin'.

GlockWRX
01-10-11, 16:26
Those are great ideas, and covers a lot of what I had in my head. These fun shoots fill a couple of different roles for us. One, it's fun. Two, it's a chance to practice stuff we can't on the regular static range. Three, it's an opportunity to bring in new shooters.

I think spending the first part of the day getting warmed up and re-familiarized with the basics is a great prelude to some of the more advanced stuff we do later in the day. Both to ingrain good habits in the more experienced shooters, and get the newer folks up to speed.

I made up a couple of VTAC-style barricades I'm going to bring. I also managed to score an EAG steel target we can use with Gitmo's permission, and if all you guys pinkie-swear not to light it up with steel core or AP ammo.

Peter Panzer
01-10-11, 17:01
Here's some ideas based on the previous meets we've done...

In previous meets we've had a certain amount of flexibility and kept a fairly relaxed environment with "big boy rules", hopefully we can keep it that way.

I think spending the first part of the day getting warmed up and re-familiarized with the basics is a great prelude to some of the more advanced stuff we do later in the day.

This sounds great. Thank you both for the added context.

GitmoSmoke
01-10-11, 19:41
GlockWRX,
You won't have to worry about your steel target getting shot up at the shoot. One reason is the club has banned the use of steel core or steel jacketed ammo. Second reason is we don't allow outside steel targets. I haved a couple of the barricades made up from the plans you sent to me, and we now have a door in a frame to use as a prop also.
Peter Panzer,
200 rounds for the handgun and 400 for carbine will be more than enough. We mainly use IDPA style targets along with speciality targets for certain drills, like dot torture. Feel free to bring any cardboard or paper targets you want.

MookNW
01-10-11, 19:54
Habla el diablo. I've been gettin in the zone for this shoot over the past couple of days. Can't wait to see what we make of it. Back to work.

GlockWRX
01-10-11, 22:05
GlockWRX,
One reason is the club has banned the use of steel core or steel jacketed ammo. Second reason is we don't allow outside steel targets.

D'oh! Oh well, we'll make do.

We all ought to bring a little money and pitch in to buy another crate of those IDPA/IPSC targets.

GitmoSmoke
01-10-11, 22:43
Good news for us. I just got back from the club meeting and I found out the the steel core or jacket ammo that was banned is for pistols and shotguns only. Since there aren't any rifle rated steel targets for us to use steel jacket rifle ammo is approved for use. Sorry Jason your steel target didn't get the OK for the meet in Feb.

kaltesherz
01-10-11, 22:58
Good news for us. I just got back from the club meeting and I found out the the steel core or jacket ammo that was banned is for pistols and shotguns only. Since there aren't any rifle rated steel targets for us to use steel jacket rifle ammo is approved for use. Sorry Jason your steel target didn't get the OK for the meet in Feb.

Yessss!!! Glad to hear it, I've got a bunch of Brown Bear I bought for training, now I can stash the rest of my brass 5.56...

J8127
01-14-11, 15:24
I hope I didn't miss it, is there any kind of registration process happening for this? I can come for sure.

kaltesherz
01-14-11, 16:23
No registration, just a week or two before the shoot we'll try to get hard numbers so we know how many people are going to show up and can then put out appropriate info... glad you can make it!

PieceKeeper
01-17-11, 14:52
I'm in. The 20th is my B-day so the wife can't say no. :D

ex-facto
01-18-11, 00:53
I've been lurking on m-4carbine fourm for a little while saw the regional training group - and consequently, made my first post in the intro section- and would like to join you on this shoot.

Respectfully,

Rob

MookNW
01-18-11, 09:33
Glockwrx: I still have maybe a dozen of those sillouettes from last time. They can be had at WCA or Wades for about $1.50.
Gotta remember brown and white tape this time.
All:I was at Outdoor emporium the other day and blazer brass 9mm was $9.98/50, AE 124/147gr 9mm was $10.99/50

GlockWRX
01-18-11, 10:24
LEtargets.com has IPSC targets for $0.58 each and paper targets for $0.38 each.

I'm thinking I could get 20 or so cardboard targets, about 25 paper targets with multiple aimpoints for the morning exercises, and some pasters (tan and white) for about $30-40. I also have some sight in targets I'll bring.

Does that work?

GitmoSmoke
01-18-11, 11:02
Is there anything you guys would like to see up here, that might be too big to transport easily? I now have 2 of the VTAC barricades, several more barrels, double the amount fo target stands and I'm working on a door in a frame so it can stand solidly and still work like a door.
Changing the subject, my boys don't care what BBQ I make so any suggestions for that?

MookNW
01-18-11, 20:17
[QUOTE=Does that work?[/QUOTE]
Nice sourcing.
BBQ rocks, any way you slice it. :thank_you2:http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1917/gatos012.jpg (http://img192.imageshack.us/i/gatos012.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8379/gatos011.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/i/gatos011.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

GlockWRX
01-27-11, 14:53
Got the targets (paper and cardboard) along with pasters on order.

Andy, how are we on target stands?

GitmoSmoke
01-27-11, 16:26
We have at least a dozen portable stands for the shoot, along with the ones that fit into the back line. We also got 3 more blue plastic drums, and I managed to get 2 of the VTAC barricades made up.
We rebuilt the 10 and 25 yard berms on the short range in November. The ground is a little muddier than it was before so we might get a little muddier than we did last time.
Anyone who is coming who hasn't been to one of the group shoots needs to read MookNW's post #82 from the Oct 24th shoot. The safety rules are not something to be casual about. On the other hand we will be running a hot range, so some things will be different from normal square range rules.
Can't wait to see everyone, lets hope the weather cooperates.

GitmoSmoke
01-27-11, 20:50
All right,
Who is coming? Let me know if its pretty solid in your plans or a maybe. I need to know how much supplies I'll need to set up. I'll keep the list on this post.

There is still room for two more.
1. kaltesherz
2,3. Glock WRX +1
4. MookNW
5,6,7. GitmoSmoke +2
8. PeterPanzer
9. PieceKeeper
10. USAFR
11. BooneGA
12, 13. MKMckinley+1
14. HID237
15. HD670
16. Crusader4x
17. Vader
18. RandyHa (maybe)

kaltesherz
01-27-11, 21:04
<--- Solidly in

J8127
01-27-11, 21:10
I'm coming unless something last minute comes up.

Any idea on round counts yet? I have to make a massive purchase soon so I may as well add this in.

kaltesherz
01-27-11, 21:19
I'm coming unless something last minute comes up.

Any idea on round counts yet? I have to make a massive purchase soon so I may as well add this in.

250 rifle and 200 pistol should be plenty, I always end up bringing way more than I shoot, of course ymmv

GlockWRX
01-27-11, 22:23
250 rifle and 200 pistol should be plenty, I always end up bringing way more than I shoot, of course ymmv

That should be enough. But the more the merrier.

I'm definitely in. And I've got a newbie who is a maybe.

MookNW
01-28-11, 00:10
In...:)

BrianS
01-28-11, 02:38
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8379/gatos011.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/i/gatos011.jpg/)

Dude what kind of sights are those? That front sight in particular looks really nice!

MookNW
01-28-11, 07:18
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SW212-230-O&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DAGLO
and a Heinie straight 8 ledge rear

Peter Panzer
01-29-11, 16:48
Who is coming? Let me know if its pretty solid in your plans or a maybe. I need to know how much supplies I'll need to set up. I'll keep the list on this post.

I am planning to attend and will be sure to let you know as soon as possible if anything pops up that would prevent me from doing so.

I would be glad to chip in to help offset the cost for those providing lunch and targets. Once again, my thanks to all of you for making this happen.

BrianS
01-29-11, 16:59
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SW212-230-O&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DAGLO
and a Heinie straight 8 ledge rear

Thanks for the info, front sight looks awesome.

Coming to this would require a ferry ride right? Anyone going to meet somewhere with good parking and pool over?

GitmoSmoke
01-29-11, 17:39
While it isn't required to use the ferry to get on the island, unless you live north of Arlington it would be much longer to drive around. You could get off I-5 at exit 230 and follw rt 20 to the club. It's about 40 miles from I-5 to the club across Deception Pass.
I'll leave the meet up for carpooling to others, but I think the last time the shoot was here they used the park and ride at Northgate Mall.

ex-facto
01-29-11, 19:24
I'll make it- look forward to meeting you all.

PieceKeeper
01-29-11, 20:19
for sure, in.

MookNW
01-29-11, 21:00
Carpooling is a great idea. I've carpooled to each m4c shoot I've been to and it's a great way to get to know the people you'll be spending the day with before the earpro goes on. It saves some money on ferry fees and reduces our tactical carbon footprint :thank_you2:I got room for two more.

J8127
01-29-11, 22:34
I wouldn't mind meeting up someplace pre-ferry. I am coming from Tacoma.

BooneGA
01-30-11, 04:35
Just found this thread. My schedule is all over the place due to work but if I am in the area I will be in.

Rick

GlockWRX
02-02-11, 12:42
Here is the tentative agenda I put together. The first half of the day we will be moving through things pretty quickly so that we have a solid base for the afternoon. We will bring these things together for the barricade and movement drills after lunch.

Introductions
Basic range / safety brief
Pistol draw and ready positions
Pistol presentations from low ready and indoor ready
Pistol reloads (speed and tactical)
Verify zero
Stance and ready positions
Simple presentations from low ready and indoor ready
Rifle reloads (speed and tactical)
Transitions to pistol
Pivots (left, right, etc.)
Kneeling and squatting
Shooting while moving (advance, retreat, off-line)
LUNCH BREAK
Barricades
Barricade drills (pistol and rifle)
Movement drills
IDPA-ish drills

Equipment wise it will be pretty basic. In addition to your primary and secondary you’ll need:
Holster
Sling for rifle
Pistol magazine pouch
Rifle magazine pouch

The afternoon drills will only require one reload at most, so you won’t need a bunch of mags to finish those. During the morning workup however, it is advisable to have at least 3 rifle mags and 2 pistol mags on your person so you won’t have to run back and forth to get fresh mags.

For reference, I’ll be wearing a belt mounted holster, pistol mag pouch, and rifle mag pouch for the whole day. I will augment this with a Sneaky Bag or chest rig when we are doing the morning drills.

My rough guess on ammo is 300 rifle and 200 pistol. I doubt we’ll go through all that, but it’s better to have too much than not enough.

This is open to suggestions or alternative ideas.

Peter Panzer
02-02-11, 13:29
Very helpful post GlockWRX - much appreciated.

This seems like a sensible blend of activities to keep the advanced shooters engaged while introducing the beginners, like myself, to activities one cannot experience on a static range.

I hope it is not an imposition or an unwise assumption to expect some of these techniques/activities to be demonstrated to the group by the experienced shooters in attendance. As a relative novice, I am looking to learn as much as I can in a safe, productive and machismo free atmosphere.

GlockWRX
02-02-11, 13:43
I hope it is not an imposition or an unwise assumption to expect some of these techniques/activities to be demonstrated to the group by the experienced shooters in attendance.

Absolutely. In each case I will explain the technique, then demo it dry fire and live fire. Then the group will do it dry and then live. In addition some of the more experienced shooters will be acting as coaches to help some of the newer shooters through the drills.

Peter Panzer
02-02-11, 14:00
Perfect. I am really starting to look forward to this.

USAFR
02-02-11, 14:19
Good Day:

Id be up for a road thip for some shooting.Im doing a lot of one shooting using a CMMG .22 LR bolt and mags, so far only about 250 rns. Any one else looked at this system, sure saves on ammo $$ and I can shot at pistol ranges.

Be safe:

Rob

GitmoSmoke
02-02-11, 17:08
If you check my album you can see the new berms we built on the short range. It is still a little muddy, but it drains well so there usually isn't any standing water. For anyone that didn't make the last shoot the pictures labeled short 1-9 is the range we will be using. I'll be at the range by 0800 to start setting up.
If anyone has tactical training DVDs or such bring them. We put in a DVD and TV in the clubhouse. Extra entertainment for lunch time.
Lunch right now looks like Carolina pulled pork and Texas Beef brisket. Please bring a side to share or we can take a collection up and send one of my kids to the store.

Peter Panzer
02-02-11, 17:58
I'll be at the range by 0800 to start setting up.

If nonmembers can access the range at that time I will be glad to show up early and help. Give me a heads up if necessary.

Lunch right now looks like Carolina pulled pork and Texas Beef brisket.

That's outrageously good. Thanks in advance.

Please bring a side to share...

A "Tactical Potluck." It's so very Northwest.

MookNW
02-03-11, 21:33
Call it what you want, Gitmo makes some badass bbq. You can check out pics from the last shoot/feast if you don't believe me. I'll bring something.

kaltesherz
02-04-11, 14:43
That's a pretty ambitious tentative agenda GlockWRX, but that'll keep things going and keep the "uh, now what?" to a minimum so we can maximize our time and training. Since most of us aren't familiar with a lot of professional training of this sort I'm sure quite a bit of learning will occur.

Gitmo's BBQ is a sight to behold, actually I'd use the word "Epic" as "orgasmic" might defer a few people on the fence from coming. It's really that good. You sure bringing sides is enough, I'm sure we could all kick down a few bucks as well...
FYI I've got dibs on the drinks (Powerade)

GitmoSmoke
02-04-11, 20:03
I should have the gate open by 0830 so we can start shooting as soon after 0900 as possible. Most everything should be staged Friday night so I don't need help carrying things like we did last time. As per club policy I still have to give the full formal safety brief, then I'll turn it over to GlockWRX to run the show.
I picked up the brisket and pork shoulders today so the menu is set. I really don't need donations for the food. I have yet to spend the money for going to an off island event. You guys are spending the money for gas and ferry fees to get here. Thanks for the kind remarks about the BBQ, it keeps everyones mind off of how I am shooting
I would like to remind anyone who is unfamiliar with Whidbey island to refer to the thread about the October 24th shoot.

mkmckinley
02-06-11, 01:03
Hi guys, I'd really like to show up to this event. I'm an Army medic so I'll bring an aid bag and we can have "just-in-case" medical coverage. As I understand it the details are:

Time: Feb 26 0830

Place:
Central Whidbey Sportsmen's
397 Safari Street
Coupeville, WA 98239

Equipment:
Carbine w/sling
300 rds of rifle ammo
250 rds pistol ammo
3 mags each for rifle and pistol
mag pouches
no armor piercing ammo
side dish for the potluck

Couple questions: I've never been to Whidbey Island, do I need a truck to get out to the range? Do I need to get a membership to Central Whidbey Sportsman's Association or any other club to participate?

MookNW
02-06-11, 10:33
IIRC, no truck needed, no membership needed.

Gitmo: Will Central Whidbey Sportsmans accept donations from the group?

GitmoSmoke
02-06-11, 12:32
Directions do include turn off the paved road, but only for about 200 yards on gravel. No 4wd required.
I'm sure they will accept donations, but it isn't nessassary.

kaltesherz
02-06-11, 13:26
Hi guys, I'd really like to show up to this event. I'm an Army medic so I'll bring an aid bag and we can have "just-in-case" medical coverage. As I understand it the details are:

Time: Feb 26 0830

Place:
Central Whidbey Sportsmen's
397 Safari Street
Coupeville, WA 98239

Equipment:
Carbine w/sling
300 rds of rifle ammo
250 rds pistol ammo
3 mags each for rifle and pistol
mag pouches
no armor piercing ammo
side dish for the potluck

Couple questions: I've never been to Whidbey Island, do I need a truck to get out to the range? Do I need to get a membership to Central Whidbey Sportsman's Association or any other club to participate?

Awesome, glad to have someone there with actual medical training, well, more than "throw an Israeli or tourniquet on it" at least.

Don't forget to bring earpro/eyepro, liquids, wet / cold weather gear, snacks, lube, and maybe a cleaning kit. Then again, you know the drill...

PieceKeeper
02-06-11, 23:25
If anyone on the east side of the lake is interested in a ride, I'll be taking the suburban and leaving at 6:30 AM sharp to make the 8 AM ferry. Got room for a few people comfortably plus gear. Fuel monies not necessary (since I'd be driving out there anyway) just ferry fee for yourself.

**I'd be willing to take some of you from the south end to save you some of the drive as long as you could make it up here in time.

PM me for other caveats and to coordinate location.

J8127
02-06-11, 23:44
Which ferry is the better choice, the port townsend ferry or the Mukilteo/Clinton ferry? How often do they run?

EDIT - Looks like the Mukilteo ferry runs far more often, are guys trying to make the 0700 or 0800 ferry?

PieceKeeper
02-07-11, 01:54
For reference

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/info_desk/route-maps/index.cfm?region_id=2

Click on the route you'd like to know the times for. WSDOT Recommends you get to the terminal 20 mins. in advance.

I'll be taking the Mukilteo/Clinton at 8 AM. According to a previous post, it should take a half hour to get there once to the island and the ferry ride appears to be ~30 mins. which'll put my arrival about 9.

gitmo or someone please correct me if my estimates are wrong.

GitmoSmoke
02-07-11, 13:49
If you are coming from anywhere south of Marysville/Arlington the
Mukilteo ferry is the best bet. North there the deception pass bridge is better. You would need to live on the west side of the narrows bridge to make the Port Townsend ferry trip worthwhile. There is really no need to take the ferry any earlier than the 8am run. We can't start shooting until 9 and it won't take more than 15 minutes to get set up. The target stands, barricades, and barrels will be staged the night before. The gate will be open at about 8:30.

randyha
02-07-11, 14:06
All right,

1. kaltesherz
2. J8127
3. Glock WRX +1maybe
4. MookNW
5. GitmoSmoke +3
6. PeterPanzer
7. Brian S (maybe)
8. Ex-facto
9. PieceKeeper
10. USAFR
11. BooneGA (maybe)

I am a maybe. I'm somewhat of an old beginner and in the process of getting all my gear together. Have a T-1 and LaRue mount for my 6920 on the way, and some some other gear in preparation for a couple of Vickers classes I've signed up for the following weekend.....way over on the east coast.

randyha
02-07-11, 14:09
I am a maybe. I'm somewhat of an old beginner and in the process of getting all my gear together. Have a T-1 and LaRue mount for my 6920 on the way, and some some other gear in preparation for a couple of Vickers classes I've signed up for the following weekend.....way over on the east coast.

randyha
02-07-11, 14:15

randyha
02-07-11, 14:17
Sorry about the multiple posting...some weirdness going on with TapTalk, Gogo Inflight WIFi at 40k feet, and my iPhone.

vader
02-08-11, 19:00
I'm a maybe at the moment. if I can get my shift covered I'm down. new build should be done by then as well. knee pads are always a good idea as well. there is some gravel under that grass haha.

MookNW
02-08-11, 20:42
HID237 is supposedly in. If he doesn't come, we're splitting his ammo.;)

GitmoSmoke
02-08-11, 23:41
Sorry to have to do this, but I am going to limit the shoot to 20 people. There just isn't any way we can have more than that, and still have good safe training. 15 of those are firm plans, and if all the maybe's show up we are at 19. That doesn't leave much room for anyone else. Check the roster list post #44. By 1600 Saturday the 19th I will finalize the list. Firm reservations first, maybe's in order of sign up and when we reach 20 that is it. Hopefully no one is offended by my having to do this, but I'd have to be safe. Anyone on the maybe list if you decide you're not going to come let me know so I can put someone else in.

BooneGA
02-09-11, 06:00
Lock me in for a solid reservation and not a maybe. Im no longer on response for that week.

Rick

GlockWRX
02-09-11, 20:23
My 'maybe' it almost positive he is coming. He has a brand new DD M4 to break in (his first AR). He's pretty pumped.

hid237
02-13-11, 12:52
I'm in if there is still room...

GitmoSmoke
02-13-11, 15:17
FINAL LIST
1. kaltesherz
2,3. Glock WRX +1
4. MookNW
5,6,7. GitmoSmoke +2
8. PeterPanzer
9. PieceKeeper
10. USAFR
11. BooneGA
12, 13, 14, 15, 16. MKMckinley+4
17. HD670
18. Crusader4x
19. Vader
20. Spec5

ex-facto
02-13-11, 16:04
I'm out on the shoot. Circumstances have necessitated travel out of town on the date. I'll look forward to the next chance. Have a safe shoot.

BooneGA
02-14-11, 09:32
Quick question:

How long is the range that we are going to be using? I have an upper getting built and I should have it in my hands a few days before the shoot and Im not sure if I will be able to zero it before saturday. If we wont have time for me to zero I still have a second upper that I can shoot no problem.

Rick

GitmoSmoke
02-14-11, 12:16
I'd bring both uppers. Plan on using your older one, and if there is a longer break we can take it from our reserved 75 yard range over to the 100/200 yard range and shoot it there. There is a rifle match scheduled to last untill 1230 so we can't shoot long untill after then.
GlockWRX will have a better idea if there will be enough time for you to zero.

GlockWRX
02-14-11, 12:38
I have 30 minutes in the 'schedule' to zero. The guy I'm bringing will be shooting his new AR for the first time as well and needs to set up his irons and his RDS, so we may have to stretch that a little bit. In any case, 99% of our shooting will be under 20 yards so even if you are off a bit it won't be a big deal.

The afternoon drills are more of a rotation rather than on line like the morning, so it should be easy enough to duck over to the other range and fine tune your zero.

BrianS
02-14-11, 16:05
I got roped into helping a family member move that weekend, so I am out for this one. Hopefully the stars will align one of these days and I can make it out to an M4C event.

BooneGA
02-14-11, 19:47
Good deal. I dont have irons to zero just two optics on the new rifle to zero. Should go pretty quickly. Depending on work I may be able to get it set up before I show up.

I just zeroed the optic combo on my work rifle today and it took less than 20 rounds total for both.

Rick

GitmoSmoke
02-15-11, 18:32
Since I reserved the range for the 3 gun team I wanted to remind everyone to bring a shotgun for the shoot if they have one available. I modified my Mossberg 835 goose gun since I can't wing shoot worth a damn, and I don't like goose or duck meat enough to risk breaking a tooth if I miss a steel pellet. 20" cylinder choke barrel with a 3.5” chamber and a custom camouflage paint job.
We are down to 16 shooters now. My youngest is going straight from Ft Benning to Ft Bliss, so he won't be there. There is still room if anyone wants to bring someone else.

PieceKeeper
02-15-11, 21:35
SG ammo restrictions at the range?

GitmoSmoke
02-15-11, 21:42
The only restrictions are no exotic ammo (Flame thrower, bird bombs, etc) and only shoot at the targets on the portable stands. Buck shot, bird shot and slugs are all good to go.

PieceKeeper
02-15-11, 22:25
Thanks. My Scattergun Tech 870 will be on the check list.

MookNW
02-15-11, 23:26
I'll bring one too.

kaltesherz
02-15-11, 23:51
I'll bring my Benelli, might have to dig around to find some ammo for it though, I haven't shot that thing in FOREVER.

mkmckinley
02-16-11, 10:55
Glad there are still a few slots open: I have a +1 to come shoot and my wife will probably come to hang out/not shoot.

GlockWRX
02-16-11, 11:24
I'll bring my Benelli, might have to dig around to find some ammo for it though, I haven't shot that thing in FOREVER.

I have a bunch of birdshot I'll bring. Hopefully it will cycle in the Benelli.

HD670
02-16-11, 11:43
hey guys..im pretty new to this forum but have been shooting for a few years now..I am definately going to be able to make it. I am mkmckinley's "+1". Comming all the way from Lacey

GitmoSmoke
02-16-11, 12:58
Your wife is welcome to attend. Make sure she has ear & eye protection. If your wife gets tired of watching us shoot, she may escape into Coupeville. Lots of nice shops for her to furnish your home with expensive antiques, in fact there is an estate sale shop within walking distance of the club. The good news is there are no special events that weekend.

HD670
02-16-11, 13:21
Your wife is welcome to attend. Make sure she has ear & eye protection. If your wife gets tired of watching us shoot, she may escape into Coupeville. Lots of nice shops for her to furnish your home with expensive antiques, in fact there is an estate sale shop within walking distance of the club. The good news is there are no special events that weekend.

thanks for the quick reply. I'll make sure she has all the proper equipment.

kaltesherz
02-16-11, 14:28
Glad there are still a few slots open: I have a +1 to come shoot and my wife will probably come to hang out/not shoot.

Shit, does that mean I have to wear pants?!?

kaltesherz
02-16-11, 14:30
I have a bunch of birdshot I'll bring. Hopefully it will cycle in the Benelli.

Thanks, I've never shot anything but buckshot and slugs out of her so we'll see if it works... otherwise it'll be the most expensive single shot scattergun out there. At least she's pretty, right?

mkmckinley
02-16-11, 15:19

Right on, I give it a 50/50 that she'll want to come up. I also have another friend that wants to come so that's +2 shooters for me if it's OK with you.

vader
02-16-11, 15:39
I'm trying to get my shift covered at work. I'll know by tonight if I'm coming or not.

crusader4x
02-16-11, 15:50
I'm in! I'm coming in from Shoreline and am happy to bring others along if you like. Unfortunately I only have a Ford Fusion so I can fit three guys or four really small women in my car.

MookNW
02-16-11, 16:18
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=40494
Here's a link to the PNW intro thread. It's a great way to introduce yourself and break the ice with people you'll soon be shooting/possibly riding in a car with.:D It's also good to read other PNW'ers post and see if you really want them riding in a car with you.:fie:

J8127
02-16-11, 19:28
It looks like I won't be able to make it, have to go out of town last minute. I doubt "so I can go shooting" will be enough to come home early.

vader
02-17-11, 16:36
ok I'm in! who want to car pool? I'm in lower queen anne. we gunna meet at the park and ride again?

MookNW
02-17-11, 19:33
Vader lives! I'm in Kaltesherz car w/ HID237. Pretty sure we're maxed out in the honda.

kaltesherz
02-17-11, 19:56
Yep, sadly my Honda O' Doom is full, but we'll still have a meet up at the Northgate Mall so we can have once again the Official M4C Death Caravan. If we're making the 8am ferry, is 7:15 a good hit time?

Oh, and I can personally vouch for Vader- he's a good dude and well worth cleaning the dead hookers out of your trunk to ride up with.

vader
02-17-11, 20:11
yeah if anyone needs a lift, i have room for two plus kit. an they are midget hookers this time so they don't take up that much room. I think 715 is a great time to meet up. and that will put us at the range by 845 ish.

HD670
02-18-11, 02:22
can't wait for this meet..I'm relatively new to the forum but have been shooting for 4 1/2 years now..should be fun

GitmoSmoke
02-19-11, 13:20
All right I have all the target stands, barricades, barrels ready for us. A few reminders for those who have never been here before. Feel free to bring targets that are made of paper or cardboard. The Island county sheriff is really stepping up traffic enforcement, be careful. The south island can be unfriendly to gun owners. Some of the local granola and tofu types will call the police just to be a pain if they see an EBR. (ask me how I know) I'll be there by 0830 to get the gate open.
It looks like we might have nice weather for next Saturday's shoot. According to King5 last night it should clear off with no rain for Saturday.

kaltesherz
02-19-11, 18:24
HID237 can't make it so now MookNW and I are riding with Vader. Meeting up at Northgate around 7ish. Glad to hear the weather should be good, let's hope it holds.

crusader4x
02-20-11, 18:21
Is there anybody interested in splitting a case of .223 for this shoot?

HD670
02-21-11, 21:31
Is there anybody interested in splitting a case of .223 for this shoot?

shoot me a pm of the price..i might be interested

GitmoSmoke
02-22-11, 13:51
We are expecting 4-7 inches of snow over the next couple of days. I am still going to host the shoot no matter how much snow we get. The Clinton/Mukliteo ferry has a long steep hill to climb on the Whidbey side. It might be advisable to take route 20 across Deception Pass. Exit 226 in Mt Vernon follow SR 536 to SR20, or exit 230 in Burlington will put you right on SR 20.
Check the ferry cams to see the route. Friday evening I'll drive down that way to see how bad the road is.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/vesselwatch/TerminalDetail.aspx?terminalid=5

MookNW
02-22-11, 14:09
Who's got camera skills?

GitmoSmoke
02-22-11, 14:59
I'll bring a camera, but I can't do video. The more cameras we have there the better.

crusader4x
02-22-11, 23:23
shoot me a pm of the price..i might be interested

Sorry, I planned on heading down to Surplus Ammo and Guns in Lakewood but now it's looking like I won't get down there til Friday at the earliest.

Anybody down there want to check the price on a case of .223?

PieceKeeper
02-23-11, 01:23
I'll have to check how long the battery on my video camera will hold a charge. I'll test it tomorrow and let you all know.

PieceKeeper
02-23-11, 01:32
Sorry, I planned on heading down to Surplus Ammo and Guns in Lakewood but now it's looking like I won't get down there til Friday at the earliest.

Anybody down there want to check the price on a case of .223?

$299.99 + tax for 1K rounds bvac 55gr.

www.surplusammo.com

vader
02-23-11, 15:16
ok just finished my dissipator build!!!! bring on Saturday do I can put her through her paces.

GitmoSmoke
02-23-11, 20:39
Eight inches as of 1800 Thursday. The road dept seems to be doing a decent job between the bands of snow. I'll hit the range tomorrow and post a pic.

MookNW
02-24-11, 01:42
For anyone looking for ammo. Seattleguns.net ammo classifieds there's a guy selling 1200. Rds wolf 62 gr for $180. He's in lacey I think. That is all.

PieceKeeper
02-24-11, 22:58
Function check is a go. I'll be bringing a video camera to capture the tactical snowy goodness.

Speaking of snow, do we have an road condition update?

GitmoSmoke
02-25-11, 00:49
WSDOT has exceeded all my expectations for the road work they have done on the island. It almost looks like they had an internship in the snowy midwest. SR 525 is clear and wet from Clinton to SR 20. 20 is clear and dry all the way to the club. Since I can't convince the board to buy me a plow the driveway is packed snow.
22 pounds of pork shoulder went into the smoker at 1800. That should give us about 11 lbs of sandwiches. Brisket goes in tomorrow afternoon. All will be ready for Saturday.

MookNW
02-25-11, 01:42
Works been slammed all week. Really looking forward to this.

kaltesherz
02-25-11, 15:05
I just picked up a small case of Powerade and two 12-packs of Mountain Dew (what's better than large-caliber semi-automatic weapons and a shitload of caffeine?!?) that I'll be bringing tomorrow.

Oh and don't forget to pack your boomsticks (shotguns)!

Spec5
02-25-11, 15:27
New to the forum...am I welcome to attend?

Spec5
02-25-11, 15:36
So is there anything I should bring should I attend?

vader
02-25-11, 15:45
being youre the new guy, you have to clean up all the brass and our guns afterwards.

no just kidding. bring all necessary kit and you are good to go.

vader
02-25-11, 15:47
oh and I'll bring my scattergun, but I didnt have time to get any birdshot so anyone who brings ammo can use her.

Spec5
02-25-11, 15:49
awesome, and seeing as how there will be team barricade drills I may bring a team member

vader
02-25-11, 15:58
pm gitmosmoke to see what the officially head count is to see if there's room.

Spec5
02-25-11, 19:43
Pm sent

MookNW
02-25-11, 21:45
Gitmo, will there be snow on the range? I may pack the sorels in case. :dirol:

GitmoSmoke
02-25-11, 21:47
Check the final list. If I sent you a PM tonight and/or your name is on the list we are ready for you.
1. kaltesherz
2,3. Glock WRX +1
4. MookNW
5,6,7. GitmoSmoke +2
8. PeterPanzer
9. PieceKeeper
10. USAFR
11. BooneGA
17. HD670
18. Crusader4x
19. Vader
20. Spec5
The list is final unless one of the above people cancels we are at the limit.
The roads on the island were bare and dry for the most part. Wet areas started to freeze as the sun was going down, so be careful.

MookNW
02-25-11, 21:48
Redundant last post, please disregard. See yall tomorrow.

MookNW
02-25-11, 21:50
Way to sneak in there spec5, that was rad.

GitmoSmoke
02-25-11, 21:57
I did't make it to the range today, but if it is like my yard we have about 2-4 inches left on the ground. The club house is heated and we have plenty of room to store dry clothes for the ride home tomorrow night.

kaltesherz
02-25-11, 22:27
I'll be bringing a moderately stocked IFAK in addition to my bleeder pouch on my kit. It's got everything from tourniquets, to Quickclot to band-aides, so we should be good in that arena.

See you guys tomorrow!

crusader4x
02-25-11, 22:34
I got a case of water and a few Powerades I'm bringing tomorrow. Looks like we're good on fluids for the shoot.

CLHC
02-25-11, 23:26
Way to sneak in there spec5, that was rad.
There you go!

Any of ya'll taking still shots and/or videos of the shoot?

Spec5
02-26-11, 00:32
There you go!

My wife is operating as combat camera lol

PieceKeeper
02-26-11, 00:36

Yes, sir. Unless something goes horribly wrong, I'll have video posted shortly after the shoot.

I believe Gitmo will be providing stills.

See you guys in the morning!

mkmckinley
02-26-11, 01:38
Check the final list. If I sent you a PM tonight and/or your name is on the list we are ready for you.
1. kaltesherz
2,3. Glock WRX +1
4. MookNW
5,6,7. GitmoSmoke +2
8. PeterPanzer
9. PieceKeeper
10. USAFR
11. BooneGA
17. HD670
18. Crusader4x
19. Vader
20. Spec5
The list is final unless one of the above people cancels we are at the limit.
The roads on the island were bare and dry for the most part. Wet areas started to freeze as the sun was going down, so be careful.

I only have +3, 4 including me, so there is still a slot I guess.

BooneGA
02-26-11, 07:47
I might be there a bit after 830 as I will be on the 8am ferry from port townsend. I will have my DLSR with me as well for pictures that I can throw on here after the shoot.

Rick

Spec5
02-26-11, 12:29
Babysitter fell through this morning :(

GitmoSmoke
02-26-11, 19:41
Everyone,
Thanks for coming up and shooting in the snow. My wife said we reminded her of Red Dawn, we only needed some russians to shoot at. I'll get some pictures posted soon and then we can figure out how to distribute a dvd with all the pics.

BooneGA
02-26-11, 20:42
Just made it back a little bit ago and I wanted to say thanks to GitmoSmoke and GlockWRX for putting this whole thing together. An excellent day of shooting and a great turnout even with the weather.

I had a great time and Im glad I was able to meet all of you guys.

Looking forward to the next one.

Rick

Peter Panzer
02-26-11, 21:36
I mistakenly left an OD Eagle SAS Dump Pouch with some important contents in it laying on the long rear bench under the covered portion of the range. One of the items inside was a gift from my father and is very important to me. If one of the last guys packing out (Gitmosmoke, MookNW, GlockWRX, Vader, kaltesherz, etc.) happened across it could you please let me know so we can arrange its return - I would be very grateful.

Other than the fact I managed to severely harsh my own buzz, it was great meeting each of you. Again, a big thanks to GitmoSmoke and GlockWRX for a very worthwhile afternoon.

Peter Panzer = Donald

vader
02-26-11, 21:53
Peter I have your bag. pm me and we can talk about my ransom demands!

other then that it was a nice day. I have a new level of respect for people in the Midwest.

Peter Panzer
02-26-11, 22:05
Vader:

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I think I was in such a hurry to get warmed up I totally spaced out. I really appreciate your help! No need for a ransom, I'll issue a reward (in a purely platonic kinda way).

Check your PM inbox.

HD670
02-26-11, 22:47
big thanks to gitmo and everyone that was involved in setting this range day up. I had a lot of fun and learned some new stuff. I would definitely do it again

GlockWRX
02-26-11, 22:50
I had a great time. I really enjoyed meeting the new guys and seeing the old hands again. I'm just glad to be warm again!

CLHC
02-26-11, 23:57
Yes, sir. Unless something goes horribly wrong, I'll have video posted shortly after the shoot.

I believe Gitmo will be providing stills.

See you guys in the morning!
Wish I could have gone with ya'll but circumstances work[wise] prevented me from attending this time around. Glad you fellows made it home safe and warm. Now, looking forward to them there pictures/videos!

MookNW
02-27-11, 00:26
Great shoot! Many thanks to Gitmosmoke for throwing this thing and to Glockwrx for running it.
It was great to BS with you guys while we froze our asses off.
What I learned:
1)Cold weather clothing can hamper access to your secondary if you're not careful.
2)It's a good idea to have some cold weather gear in case you wanna go shooting in the tundra (coupeville)
3)As uncomfortable as it can be sometimes, introducing yourself is the best way to get to know the people you're standing around with.
4)Pulled pork has as much tryptophan as Thanxgiving turkey when administered in proper amounts.
5)Bald Eagles are always rad!
6) I still suck at moving while shooting.
7) These shoots keep getting better and better.

To all who attended, contributed, shot, shit or ate..., see you at the April shoot.

Spec5
02-27-11, 01:00
PISS it sounds like everybody had do much fun

mkmckinley
02-27-11, 12:42
I want to say thanks for putting the shoot together; that was the most fun I've had in awhile and good training as well. It was great meeting you guys.

kaltesherz
02-27-11, 20:49
Many thanks to Gitmo for setting up the range facilities and an awesome pork-filled lunch and GlockWRX for running and instructing the event. We had a great showing despite the weather and everyone seemed to have a great time as well as honing or learning their shooting skills. It's always great to meet other members face to face, talk shop, and even play a little show and tell with new guns, optics, kit, etc etc.

Let's start planning our next shoot!

CLHC
02-27-11, 20:54
Pictures/Videos!

HD670
02-28-11, 00:09
Pictures/Videos!

+1...wanna see pics and vids

PieceKeeper
02-28-11, 01:45
Gitmo and Glock, Thanks for putting this together. It was awesome! Looking forward to doing this again in some warmer weather. This is a great group of guys.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff480/BrutalRain/PNW_Snow_Shoot_2011/DriveHome.jpg

(sorry for the quality, had to convert them)

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff480/BrutalRain/PNW_Snow_Shoot_2011/?action=view&current=MOV00A_x264.mp4
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff480/BrutalRain/PNW_Snow_Shoot_2011/?action=view&current=snowday3_0003.mp4
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff480/BrutalRain/PNW_Snow_Shoot_2011/?action=view&current=snowday3_0004.mp4
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff480/BrutalRain/PNW_Snow_Shoot_2011/?action=view&current=snowday3_0005.mp4
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff480/BrutalRain/PNW_Snow_Shoot_2011/?action=view&current=snowday3_0006.mp4
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff480/BrutalRain/PNW_Snow_Shoot_2011/?action=view&current=snowday3_0007.mp4
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff480/BrutalRain/PNW_Snow_Shoot_2011/?action=view&current=snowday3_0008.mp4
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff480/BrutalRain/PNW_Snow_Shoot_2011/?action=view&current=snowday3_0009.mp4
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff480/BrutalRain/PNW_Snow_Shoot_2011/?action=view&current=snowday3_0010.mp4
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff480/BrutalRain/PNW_Snow_Shoot_2011/?action=view&current=snowday3_0012.mp4

crusader4x
02-28-11, 04:22
Another thanks to Gitmo and GlockWRX for the great day shooting. Being a newb it was sort of intimidating being one of the guys with least amount of experience but you all made me feel welcome and were quick to offer help and advise. I can't wait for the next one.

MookNW
02-28-11, 10:38
Thanks for taking the vids Mike. Really looking forward to the summer shoots.

GitmoSmoke
02-28-11, 15:52
Dial-up or satellite access only for the middle of the island so it takes me a while to load them. I'm looking at burning CD's to send out.
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GitmoSmoke/th_GlockWRXpronebarricade.jpg (http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GitmoSmoke/?action=view&current=GlockWRXpronebarricade.jpg)
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GitmoSmoke/th_kaltesherzoverthebarricade.jpg (http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GitmoSmoke/?action=view&current=kaltesherzoverthebarricade.jpg)
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GitmoSmoke/th_linedrill.jpg (http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GitmoSmoke/?action=view&current=linedrill.jpg)
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GitmoSmoke/th_MookandMikeboxdrill.jpg (http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GitmoSmoke/?action=view&current=MookandMikeboxdrill.jpg)
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GitmoSmoke/th_PeterPanzer.jpg (http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GitmoSmoke/?action=view&current=PeterPanzer.jpg)
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GitmoSmoke/th_squatinginthesnow.jpg (http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GitmoSmoke/?action=view&current=squatinginthesnow.jpg)
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GitmoSmoke/th_vaderprone.jpg (http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/GitmoSmoke/?action=view&current=vaderprone.jpg)

Peter Panzer
02-28-11, 18:14
A quick question stemming from Saturday's drills that I hope is not too far afield for this thread...

Please bear in mind, I am not trying to knock anyone's technique or philosophy, rather I am curious what circumstance(s) dictate the appropriate action.

When using the VTAC style barricades we were encouraged to not crowd the cover and emphasis was placed on height over bore awareness (with some mixed results;)). In this "Nine Hole Rifle Drill" demo video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbyqAoiX4CA), you can see the shooters actually placing their muzzles through the ports. I can think of a few reasons why the later would be a bad practice, however the credentials of the shooters in the demo are rather esteemed to say the least.

What situations justify the difference in technique? Range to target? Personal preference?

mkmckinley
02-28-11, 20:20
It's all situation dependent. You can use the "hole" or whatever to stabilize your rifle for a longer shot or you can stay behind the hole and keep yourself concealed. For instance I might not want to stick my muzzle out a window during a CQB type engagement but if I'm in a compound shooting at people in another compound 200+ meters away I might rather use the side of the window sill to get a more stable shooting platform.

MookNW
02-28-11, 20:33
It's all part of the GWX shooting method.
BTW, who was asking about the 1 handed slide rack?... here it is https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55724

GlockWRX
02-28-11, 20:48
What situations justify the difference in technique? Range to target? Personal preference?

Mkmckinley nailed it. It depends on the situation.

In the drill shown those guys were ringing steel at 100 yards. It would be very tough to pull that off and not brace on the barricade. But if you noticed, it took time and effort to retract the barrel through the port and push it through another. In a closer fight, say 10-50 yards it would be quicker to keep the barrel out of the ports and move from port to port. Or peek through the hole, make the shot, and duck back behind cover.

Also, if you stick your barrel through a window or some other opening, and there is a bad guy on the other side he can rip the rifle out of your hands or at least pull you off balance and maybe out the window.

My rules on it are simple: If it's close, say 50 yards and in, I probably won't need to brace so I won't stick my barrel past the cover. If it's a longer shot where I'll need to brace on the cover to make the shot, I'll want to know what's beyond the barrier before I stick my muzzle past the edge. If I'm reasonably sure it's safe, I'll push the muzzle past and brace. YMMV.

Remember also the intent of the drill on Saturday: to learn the importance of mechanical off set, and apply it to multiple positions like standing, squatting, roll over prone, etc. It wasn't a lesson in CQB or room clearing. I'm no where near skilled or experienced enough to teach anyone that.

Peter Panzer
02-28-11, 21:34
GlockWRX and mkmckinley:

I suspected something along those lines and what each of you said makes plenty of sense. Thanks - as a new shooter, it helps me solidify concepts when I have a better sense of their underlying rationale and wider context.

Cliche as it sounds, one of my personal takeaways was underscoring the need for continued work on fundamental skills (including "ammo management"). Among my rookie challenges is the need to ingrain the level of instinctivness and good habits necessary to adapt fluidly as circumstances present themselves. How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

GlockWRX:

Thanks for the follow up in this thread. I really appreciated the tone you set on Saturday and your providing the building blocks for folks like me to take a step in the right direction.

Oh, and Mook, the ghost of Fred Rogers is going to exact its cold revenge upon you for the wreckless evil you have perpetrated with that man's image.

Packer Backer
02-28-11, 21:38
Looks like you had a great time! I am going to have to try one of these events the next time you have one. Rookie here.... Looking forward to learning more!

MookNW
02-28-11, 21:51
Panzer, somehow I kinda believe you.:(