PDA

View Full Version : Jumping back in after 15years!

1_click_off
10-26-10, 14:44
Well I just finished building a small simple reloading bench. Nothing fancy, just some old RCBS equipment my Grandpa left me. I couldn't resist and had to load one when I finished setting everything up. I plan to load some 9mm 124gr XTP around 950fps this weekend. The only thing left is for me to adjust my lead seating depth as I was a little short of the recommended C.O.L. I am already asking for a 550 for Christmas. I will keep the single stage even if the 550 is under the tree.

If not using carbide dies, what is the cleanest lube to use on the cases. My lube pad is real sticky with some kind of goo my Grandpa used.

epete
10-26-10, 16:45
I use Hornady OneShot. Read the directions and let it dry. 30 minutes in the tumbler after sizing will remove it.

Are you loading 9mm with steel dies? For $20 you can get a carbide sizing die and not have deal with lube at all.

1_click_off
10-26-10, 16:56
All the stuff I bought is carbide. It's just the older stuff for my dad's guns like 22-250 and such that need the lube. If I start shooting it much I will more than likely switch to a carbide die.

sparky241
10-26-10, 17:00
I use Hornady OneShot. Read the directions and let it dry. 30 minutes in the tumbler after sizing will remove it.

Are you loading 9mm with steel dies? For $20 you can get a carbide sizing die and not have deal with lube at all.

you still have to lube them, i have a die with a stuck 223 case in it to prove it.

skyugo
10-26-10, 17:04

carbide is definitely the way to go.
i do tend to just shoot a little oneshot into my box of shell casings before i get loading. very minimal lube, but i find that it does reduce lever effort quite a bit. With pistol ammo i don't even bother to wipe them after. you really can't even feel the lube on them with the amount i use.

1_click_off
10-26-10, 17:05
I have heard you still need to lube rifle, but couldn't remember. I don't remember ever lubing the pistol cases though.

skyugo
10-26-10, 17:08
I have heard you still need to lube rifle, but couldn't remember. I don't remember ever lubing the pistol cases though.

I've had some ugly things happen reloading 223 in steel dies with apparently insufficient lube. Haven't tried with carbide yet, but a little lube won't hurt anything. getting cases stuck SUCKS :mad:

1_click_off
10-26-10, 17:08
carbide is definitely the way to go.
i do tend to just shoot a little oneshot into my box of shell casings before i get loading. very minimal lube, but i find that it does reduce lever effort quite a bit. With pistol ammo i don't even bother to wipe them after. you really can't even feel the lube on them with the amount i use.

Your not worried about oil getting to your primers? I would think there is potential for some oil to be left in the case when you are priming.

Hound_va
10-26-10, 20:37
Most of the spray type lubes are lanolin and alcohol. I can't think of one brand of case lube that uses petroleum oil.

1_click_off
10-27-10, 12:34
Most of the spray type lubes are lanolin and alcohol. I can't think of one brand of case lube that uses petroleum oil.

Remember somthing old everyday. I just automatically thought petroleum base when I read spray. Not thinking it was developed for reloading. Duh......