PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Policy supporting suppressors on patrol rifles.

unm1136
10-27-10, 12:06
Title says it all.

I am a cop/armorer/firearms instructor who is about to jump into the NFA realm. I am looking for points of contact with other agencies who permit suppressors and/or short barrels on privately owned patrol rifles. Agencies that issue suppressors to patrol would also help. I am looking to write an addendum to our current SOP, and would not only like to use other department's policies for guidance, but also as bibliographical material for the position paper I have been asked to write on the subject.

If you can send me information, I would be happy to digitally maintain it, with your permission, to send to other agencies going this route. All who give me permission will have the items stored as PDFs in one file, away from my position paper. If you don't want your info disseminated farther than my chain of command, I will not place it in that file.

Email is in my profile. Agency Contact info available upon request.

Thank you very much in advance.

pat

TehLlama
10-27-10, 16:00
I could have sworn I saw a really good thread about this on 10-8forums, I'll check. Kick me a PM if I forget to get back to you on it.

Iraqgunz
10-27-10, 19:00
In addition to what you have posted you could also use the following to bolster your argument.

1. Less chance of permament hearing loss or damage in the event that weapon is discharged in confined spaces.

2. Less noise would also assist officers in being able to communicate more effectively. (situational dependent).

3. Provides a tactical advantage to the patrol officer and or SWAT members by masking the weapons' signature and thereby their position.

Just my thoughts.

ST911
10-28-10, 10:19
I have one for suppressed guns, but can't find it. I remember it including:

mandates that the officer qualify with the gun while both suppressed and unsuppressed
testing and record keeping on POI deviation in both conditions
requirements to obtain, retain, and file the NFA paperwork with the agency

SBRs in policy aren't treated any differently than non-SBRs, except for NFA compliance and agency record keeping.

Longhorn
10-30-10, 12:35
Could also show that it's a benefit towards officers eyes during low light and night time operations as far as with the suppressor attached...

Wish I could help you with my SO's policy. But our Patrol Rifle mandates it be a 16-22" barrel and only from X, Y, Z manufacturers.