PDA

View Full Version : SBR through Trust Questions

MikeCLeonard
07-26-07, 14:17
So I'm getting ready to start this whole process, and if someone could just check over the steps I think I need to take and answer a few questions I sitll have...I would REALLY appreciate it. I just want to make sure I have everything in line and am doing it correctly.

1. I am making a revocable living trust through Quicken Willmaker
2. I will have the trust documentation notarized.
3. I will send the following documents to: Bureau of ATF P.O. Box 73201 Chicago, IL 60673
- A check for $200 made out to Bureau of ATF or the Department of Justice...Which one?
- Form 1 (f53201) ....Do I need more than 1 copy of Form 1?
- Certificate of compliance (f533020) ....Do I need this? and if so how many copies?

Oh yeah...this will be an Hk USC to UMP conversion...Do I put HK USA's address for orignal manufacturer or their address in Germany?

So thats what I know and the questions I still have...Again...any help on this would be awsome!!!

-Mike Leonard

caporider
07-26-07, 14:33
So I'm getting ready to start this whole process, and if someone could just check over the steps I think I need to take and answer a few questions I sitll have...I would REALLY appreciate it. I just want to make sure I have everything in line and am doing it correctly.

1. I am making a revocable living trust through Quicken Willmaker
2. I will have the trust documentation notarized.
3. I will send the following documents to: Bureau of ATF P.O. Box 73201 Chicago, IL 60673
- A check for $200 made out to Bureau of ATF or the Department of Justice...Which one?
- Form 1 (f53201) ....Do I need more than 1 copy of Form 1?
- Certificate of compliance (f533020) ....Do I need this? and if so how many copies?

Oh yeah...this will be an Hk USC to UMP conversion...Do I put HK USA's address for orignal manufacturer or their address in Germany?

So thats what I know and the questions I still have...Again...any help on this would be awsome!!!

-Mike Leonard

1. Yep, that's what I did. If you have the SN, enter it along with a description as an asset assigned to the trust. If not, you can amend your Trust doc after the fact.

2. Yep. Find out if you need to register your trust in your state. Most states don't have a registration requirement.

3. $200 check - yes. Just follow the instructions on the Form 1. You will need to send 2 copies of the Form 1 - one for AFT to keep and one for them to send back to you with the tax stamp affixed. Make sure you send Form 1s with BOTH SIDES reproduced on a SINGLE SHEET of paper. I also sent 1 copy of the Certificate of Compliance. Also send a copy of the Trust Declaration, which is a shortened version of the full Trust document. Make sure this is notarized as well. I would NOT send the actual Trust document.

As for manufacturer, whatever is stamped on the gun is what you'd enter. If the gun says Oberndorf, Germany, that's what you put on the Form 1. Manufacturer, City, and State/Country are all the Form 1 requires.

When you get your stamped Form 1 back, put it in a safe or safety deposit box, after making sure to make several copies of it to put into your range or gun cases. You need to be able to produce a copy of your Form 1 on demand for AFT inspection, and it will help a lot if your SBR happens to be seen by a LEO.

My Form 1 was approved in 5 weeks door to door.

ETA: Don't forget to have your gun inscribed! The name of your trust, city, state - that's all you need. So, it will make it easier for you if you choose a short name for your trust (e.g. MKS Trust, if your initials happen to be MKS).

MikeCLeonard
07-26-07, 14:46
caporider,

Thanks so much for your reply...You answered all the little questions I have left!!! Now I'm ready to start this show :D

Robb Jensen
07-26-07, 15:09
Form 1s go to WV.

MikeCLeonard
07-26-07, 16:27
One more question...I may only be at my current home for another year...if my trust is set up for my current location, and then I move...does that create any complications with my SBR held under the trust?

caporider
07-26-07, 16:46
One more question...I may only be at my current home for another year...if my trust is set up for my current location, and then I move...does that create any complications with my SBR held under the trust?

Nope. Just amend your Trust document and your Trust Declaration with the new address, then fire off a notice letter to AFT as a courtesy. As long as you're in the same state, it's no big deal. If you move out of state, it gets more involved.

Another cool thing about Trusts is that you can have co-trustees, all of whom can access the NFA item without any of the other trustees having to be present. This gets around one of the sticky issues with individually owned NFA items. Also, you can name pretty much anyone (other than existing trustees) as beneficiaries of the Trust and they will automatically receive your NFA items in the event of your death or incapacitation - with no probate required. Given the legalities, though, you might want to think long and hard about adding trustees and beneficiaries.

If you want to do more NFA stuff, just add it to the trust and send in the appropriate ATF forms. Suppressors, full auto, and on and on.

ETA: I'm not a lawyer, so double-check the Trust laws in your state!