PDA

View Full Version : SA LW Operator

ColdDeadHands
10-27-10, 19:58
Anybody here have one? How do you like it? I've seen one at my favorite fun shop and checked it out. Frame to slide, Barrel and Grip Safety fit are pretty nice. The rear of the frame / slide is blended nicely too.
Any downsides to the ramped barrel?

Rezarf2
10-27-10, 22:51
I have a LWT Champion Operator. I love it, it is a ramped barrel but it is a bull barrel, so YMMV.

There is nothing that I don't like about it! I also have a full size all steel full rail. Also great. So to answer your question, I have two models that are different than your gun... and love them.

Sorry to be no help. ;)

SMOKEEATERFF
10-28-10, 20:41
I don't have one but I shot a mag through a friend's and it was a tack driver. I would love to have one.

Pappabear
10-28-10, 22:23
I think 10-8 (yam) makes a Lightweight operator for some special runs sometimes. Been tempted, never took the plunge. Wish there were more feedback about the gun. Hardly light at 32oz though.

genegoesfast
10-28-10, 23:24
Any downsides to the ramped barrel?
The ramped barrel is a must on an alloy frame. If you were to use a mag with a metal follower and a non ramped barrel it would chew the shit out of the frame.

ColdDeadHands
10-28-10, 23:42
The ramped barrel is a must on an alloy frame. If you were to use a mag with a metal follower and a non ramped barrel it would chew the shit out of the frame.

I prefer non-ramped barrels, my Kimber Pro CDP (10+ years old) doesn't have the ramped barrel and no problems with the feed ramp. But I use wilson mags only. Most of the newer mag designs have followers that are safe on aluminum feed ramps.

genegoesfast
10-28-10, 23:57
I prefer non-ramped barrels, my Kimber Pro CDP (10+ years old) doesn't have the ramped barrel and no problems with the feed ramp. But I use wilson mags only. Most of the newer mag designs have followers that are safe on aluminum feed ramps.

Yeah I'm with you. There are a few hybrid mags out and checkmate's followers are all metal. It's the which metal is softer game!

DocGKR
10-29-10, 00:56
My SA LW1911 has been my primary carry weapon for several years. I typically always have two identical models of any weapon intended for serious use--one weapon for carry/duty and an identical one for practice. In this case, I use the SA LW1911 for carry and an identically configured SA steel frame 1911 for practice. The LW frames are not as durable as the steel ones--this may or may not be an issue depending on practice schedules. When shooting less than 5000 rounds a year, either will likely work fine; with higher round counts, then a steel frame is prudent. FWIW, every SA Loaded or TRP model we've seen has run into problems relatively quickly, including an MC Oper whose front sight flew off the pistol in the first 50 rounds. The Pro model runs much better. My SA LW1911 had major problems out of the box--it went to one well known gunsmith, but still had nagging issues. It wasn't until Chuck Rogers performed his magic on it that it became 100% reliable. Chuck did a thorough review of the pistol and reworked it as needed. Chuck's mastery of his art is amazing, as the before and after difference in feel and "shootability" of this pistol attest. The LW1911 has proven to be a good choice for daily carry, as it shares the same ergonomics, holsters, and training as the standard steel 1911's I've used for the past 25 years, but places much less strain on my aging back...makes the 1911 almost as easy to carry as a G19!

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=6402&d=1288331759

SWATcop556
10-29-10, 01:36
While they are a good starting point for a 1911, as Doc said, they still need some massaging out of the box. They are one of my favorite models from Springfield but I have yet see one run 100% OTB. A competent smith (like Chuck) can make them a great carry piece and just a s reliable as a Glock/M&P.

ColdDeadHands
10-29-10, 06:46
Thanks for the info! About that MC Operator, Doc...was the front sight not pinned? After reading your post I'm glad I didn't trade my Baer TRS for the LW Operator. It is still on my wish-list tho. Do you know what Chuck did to make it reliable?

DocGKR
10-29-10, 11:00
He replaced the extractor, firing pin stop, firing pin, recoil spring plug, recoil spring, rear sight, ambi-safety, grip screw bushings, grips, front strap high cut and golf ball treatment, as well as re-doing the trigger and performing a reliability tune in order to make the pistol function correctly. Keep in mind that before Chuck fixed it, this pistol had already been to a well known custom shop and had a Barsto barrel installed and a host of other customizing. I’ve had over a dozen 1911’s customized by various “big name” pistol smiths, but I have gotten rid of a third of them, because they did not prove 100% reliable and another third had to have additional expert pistolsmith attention in order to finally run correctly.

ColdDeadHands
10-29-10, 15:56
Thanks for the info, that's interesting. I guess it's really draw of the luck with 1911's. Out of the many i've owned there was only a handful that didn't run out of the box, SA GI Micro (3") & RRA Elite Commando (4.25"). I was the most disappointed with the RRA because it was my first semi custom 1911 and it was really nicely made on the outside but the feed ramp, slide and frame rails where so rough (tool marks) that it would hardly cycle or feed....and to top it off they refused to even look at it. This was about a year or two before they quit making handguns.
I've also had/have a Kimber ultra CDP and Pro CDP that I bought used and they had some failures to return to battery which was fixed with replacing the recoil springs.
Anyways, for the most part I was lucky with my 1911's.

DocGKR
10-30-10, 01:37
"I guess it's really draw of the luck with 1911's."

Nope, it is NOT luck. It is all about the skill, experience, and attention to detail of the person assembling the pistol. Unfortunately most stock, semi-custom, and even fully custom pistols are not built correctly and with sufficient attention to critical details. There are very few individuals around who truly understand how and who are willing to put in the necessary time and painstaking attention to detail in order to build a fully reliable and durable duty/carry 1911...