PDA

View Full Version : DPMS or Spikes Tactical?

Will_Die_Trying
10-27-10, 22:52
I hope we can all be adults here and be open minded to others with opposing points of view.

In a previous post I was trying get more detail as to why the dpms gets an epic "fail" from so many ppl. Yet some ppl will swear by them.

I see merit in buying a gun like the BCM A4 or the mil-spec spikes tactical mid length. But the more ppl I talk to the more confused I get.

First I tried to learn all the things to look for, including upgrades like bcgs, extractors, metals of the receivers and barrels, and I was basically told I was over thinking it.

So again, what are the issues ppl have encountered with dpms. Failures to properly test and qc products is good info. Elaboration is what I am looking for not just "it sucks". But why does it "suck"?

Again thanks for anyone who can help. I am leaning towards the spikes tactical but and just trying to justify the extra $150.

Thanks

dennisuello
10-27-10, 22:58
did you see the chart?

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

rsgard
10-27-10, 23:00
i posted in the other thread but ill post my experience with DPMS here too.

My friend brought his brand new DPMS to me so i could show him how to service it(lube, clean). I could not get the takedown pins out without first hitting one side with a hammer and then prying the other side with a screwdriver. with my AR i can pull the takedown pins with my fingernails, it came that way.

Whootsinator
10-27-10, 23:04
People who swear by DPMS, RRA, etc. don't push their rifles any more than a few casual range trips every once in a while push their rifles. Most also haven't compared lower tier rifles to higher tier rifles to really see the difference. M4carbine.net is not for those people. If all you do is go on casual range trips and you don't mind tinkering with your rifle if it doesn't run at top performance or something breaks, a DPMS is probably fine for you... But WHY would you do it when you can have so much better for just a little bit more?

Robb Jensen
10-27-10, 23:10
Yes DPMS factory built rifles are fine for the 30 round a month dirt shooters.

Run one through a 5day 4K round class and you'll quickly see that it doesn't equally compare to much better brands out there.
With companies like BCM, Daniel Defense, Spikes and S&W which aren't really much higher priced than a DPMS and there's really no reason to buy DPMS.
Does DPMS makes some good stuff? Yes I own a few lowers from DPMS and they've been trouble free. I bought these as stripped receivers and used good lower parts kits.

Rmplstlskn
10-27-10, 23:15
http://www.wwyd.org/images/Rmpl/shitstorm-flyer.jpg

payj
10-27-10, 23:21
Do a little research...........To answer your question though, Spikes for sure..........

Alaskapopo
10-27-10, 23:22
I hope we can all be adults here and be open minded to others with opposing points of view.

In a previous post I was trying get more detail as to why the dpms gets an epic "fail" from so many ppl. Yet some ppl will swear by them.

I see merit in buying a gun like the BCM A4 or the mil-spec spikes tactical mid length. But the more ppl I talk to the more confused I get.

First I tried to learn all the things to look for, including upgrades like bcgs, extractors, metals of the receivers and barrels, and I was basically told I was over thinking it.

So again, what are the issues ppl have encountered with dpms. Failures to properly test and qc products is good info. Elaboration is what I am looking for not just "it sucks". But why does it "suck"?

Again thanks for anyone who can help. I am leaning towards the spikes tactical but and just trying to justify the extra $150.

Thanks

Long before I even heard of the chart I knew DPMS sucked from personal experience as a department armorer for DPMS guns. They have numerious issues from overly tight chambers that cause extraction/ reliability issues, to poorly staked gas keys, to out right missing key parts in the guns assempbly at times. (had a gun with a missing gas tube retaining pin). DPMS is not a company I trust. I put them on the same level as Oly. Between the two I would get Spikes.
The people who love DPMS are in one of two groups. Low volume shooters who don't shoot enough to have issues or think its normal. The other group is three gun shooters who take a DPMS (they love them because DPMS supports the sport a lot with money prizes etc) and then gut it and replace most of the parts with higher end competition related stuff. The rifle ends up not really being a DPMS at all. If you are going to buy a box stock rifle and not replace most of the parts and want it to run don't buy a DPMS.
Pat

rsgard
10-27-10, 23:28
I know you asked for facts but with creds like this

Alaskapopo:
Colt M16/AR15, 1911 & Glock Armorer.
Certified Firearms Instructor & Urban Rifle Instructor.
Completed SWAT Entry Team and SWAT Sniper courses.
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA A 56876 B class
IDPA A27468 Expert

These people have enough first hand experience to provide reliable opinions that can be trusted.

Ironbutt
10-27-10, 23:29
I have a DPMS Oracle in .308. In the year I've had it, it's been trouble free & a good shooter.

Bottom line: Would I buy another DPMS? Probably not.
Just my $.02.

Col_Crocs
10-27-10, 23:34
I had a DPMS full LPK. Bolt catch spring was too stiff and it wouldnt lock back my bolt. Replaced it, problem solved. Selector was rough as hell but it didnt hinder function. Took it out, found that it had pits that looked like bubbles from casting. Hammer and trigger pins refused to stay center due to an off center groove. They liked to rest about half a millimeter out on one side.
While my LPK only had one funtional issue, it goes to show how low their level of QC is.
When someone says theyre good, always ask how often and how many rounds he shoots, and how many rounds he's shot through it.
Im pretty sure you'll have a handful saying "Ive shot a good 200 rounds through this thing without a hitch!".:fie:

jbsmwd
10-27-10, 23:40

Thanks

Alot of it, if not all of it, has to do with not follow mil-spec standard for their parts and QC issues. That is my reason why I will not own DPMS.

If you are looking for a better rifle for just a little bit more try looking at S&W M&P-15 line. It is not a Colt/DD/BCM but it is better then a DPMS/Bushmaster/Oly. In my thoughts a good middle of the road gun. But I am biased because I own a M&P-15.

My question you is this. Why buy a DPMS and then turn around a replace parts and/or upgrade parts after you bought it? Just wait another paycheck or two and get a good solid AR that only requires ammo and magazines.

Don't do what I did(I bought a Bushmaster first before I know better)
Buy once, cry once.

But if this JUST a weekend plinker/paper puncher have fun with the DPMS. Just remember can't but a price on anybody's life if you ever need that DPMS rifle and I hope you never need that DPMS rifle.

justin_247
10-28-10, 00:09
This is the second thread that the OP has started on DPMS, despite the fact that there were some very good replies in the previous thread.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=65587

Iraqgunz
10-28-10, 01:01
If I see another Didn't Pass Mil Spec (DPMS) thread I am going to go postal. Your question was actually answered in the other thread.

Whoever told you that you are over-thinking the specs and components needs to remove their head from their 4th point of contact and doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

DPMS doesn't come close to being a good gun. I have seen enough of them choke under less than harsh range conditions.

Bottom line is if I had to choose between the lesser of the two evils I would select a Spike's. But, you don't have to make that choice when there are still other options.

Instead of asking your friends or reading a gun rag or where ever you are getting your info do a search on DPMS and ACTUALLY READ the information.

Go to Colt's website and look at the specs for a 6920. Compare it to Daniel Defense, BCM, Noveske or LMT. Then compare them to DPMS and it will be fairly clear which one stands out.

Iraqgunz
10-28-10, 01:05
BTW. To the OP. I am closing this thread. If you don't know why click on this link and read your reply #31.

Anymore nonsense and you are gone.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=782034#post782034