PDA

View Full Version : JP vs. Troy VTAC handguards

dirt_diver
10-28-10, 09:27
I have been looking at both of these options and am left wondering if there is a much of a difference other than the obvious.
JP:
Smooth and without any permanently rail.

Troy/VTAC:
Ridges/grooves along the length of the handguard (I would guess helps dissipate heat while reducing surface area touched by the hand, reducing felt heat as well), and a 12 o'clock rail built in.

Also, anyone know if Kyle Lamb is still running the JP as I see on YouTube? REALLY not trying to be a fanboy, but I would take that as his personal preference as opposed to being part of the marketing machine for a new product.

Any help for a noob is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks fellas!

rob_s
10-28-10, 09:36
You may find this (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html)helpful.

H/W/ID/7.0 weight/9.0 weight/rifle weight

JP Enterprises VTAC
2.00 2.00 1.75 10.50 13.00 15.00*
Troy TRX Vtac Extreme
2.09 1.74 1.35 08.50 09.70 11.20**

*12.0 length
*11.0 length

dirt_diver
10-28-10, 10:22
Holy smokes! That's some detailed info
Thanks for the info and reply, Rob.

ra2bach
10-28-10, 10:58
You may find this (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html)helpful.

H/W/ID/7.0 weight/9.0 weight/rifle weight

JP Enterprises VTAC
2.00 2.00 1.75 10.50 13.00 15.00*
Troy TRX Vtac Extreme
2.09 1.74 1.35 08.50 09.70 11.20**

*12.0 length
*11.0 length

well, that answers that!

one question slightly off topic - you posted pics of both the Vtac eXtreme and the Troy Extreme showing that one was thinner or had tapered wall diameter? I can't find that pic or remember your conclusion but which do you prefer for whatever reason?

shootist~
10-28-10, 10:59
The installation process is considerably different - the JP-VTAC requires red loctite. Installation instructions can be found on the JP site.

I have the 13" VTAC on my version of an 18" Noveske SPR and a buddy has two 12" JP-VTACs on dedicated 3-Gun rifles (using 18" CL Sabre barrels on both).

No complaints on any of the three mentioned above except removal of the complete JP due to the red loctite. All work very well for their intended use.

rob_s
10-28-10, 12:09
well, that answers that!

one question slightly off topic - you posted pics of both the Vtac eXtreme and the Troy Extreme showing that one was thinner or had tapered wall diameter? I can't find that pic or remember your conclusion but which do you prefer for whatever reason?

The VTAC version (slots) has a continuous wall thickness while the Troy version (holes) gets thinner 3-4" from the muzzle end.

ra2bach
10-28-10, 12:28
The VTAC version (slots) has a continuous wall thickness while the Troy version (holes) gets thinner 3-4" from the muzzle end.

thanks for answering that as I had it in my mind the other way around.

do you find this, or any other factor, to cause a preference for one over the other?

rob_s
10-28-10, 12:34
thanks for answering that as I had it in my mind the other way around.

do you find this, or any other factor, to cause a preference for one over the other?

holes version is lighter, slots version is (should be anyway) stronger. Depends on what I'm using it for.

Nevermiss
10-28-10, 13:32
That link is "Sticky" worthy :laugh:

Thanks for the info. I thought the Samson rail on my Noveske uppers was heavy compared to my JP VTAC rails.

The_Hammer_Man
10-28-10, 14:06
What a few of us here in the wonderful land of cheese,Wisconsin, have been doing is putting the Troy Vtac on "heavier" caliber AR's(such as 6.8spc and 7.62x39 and x51), and using the Troy "holy stick" for lightweight builds used in competition or patrol mods.

Personally the difference is minimal but, if it increases shooter confidence and comfort then they'll probably get more hits on target. (we hope!)

For a dedicated 3-gun wep I DO like the V-Tac's extra rigidity. To each their own and all that lalala.

kit222
10-28-10, 18:38
I have the mid-length JP/VTAC forearm and am kind of regretting putting it on my rifle for what I'm using it for. Mostly it's just been range trips, but now it just makes the front end feel heavy when i shoot standing, and wish I had 'gone out and shot it' before getting it put on

but maybe its just because of my little girly man arms lol

CC556
10-28-10, 19:56
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have the weights for the Troy version with the holes? They don't list the weights on their site like VTAC does with their version.

Muddyboots
10-28-10, 20:49
CC556,

Go up to Rob-S's post (#2) and click the word "this" and you will have your answer.

Muddyboots

El Mac
10-29-10, 07:33
...JP...

ra2bach
10-29-10, 13:35
What a few of us here in the wonderful land of cheese,Wisconsin, have been doing is putting the Troy Vtac on "heavier" caliber AR's(such as 6.8spc and 7.62x39 and x51), and using the Troy "holy stick" for lightweight builds used in competition or patrol mods.

Personally the difference is minimal but, if it increases shooter confidence and comfort then they'll probably get more hits on target. (we hope!)

For a dedicated 3-gun wep I DO like the V-Tac's extra rigidity. To each their own and all that lalala.

what is a "holy stick"? is this the Troy TRX Extreme rail with holes?

and the "Troy Vtac" is the Vtac Extreme BattleRail made by Troy?

I only ask because the thread was about yet another rail, the JPVtac vs, the Troy Vtac, and I'm feeling partly guilty for asking about the Troy Extreme BattleRail and hijacking this thread...

ra2bach
10-29-10, 13:54
deleted: double post...