PDA

View Full Version : Is the Jericho 941 a good gun? i've heard bad reviews...

Siller.45
10-28-10, 13:50
Whats up with the Jericho? is it a good design? or just a cheap gun with a badass look? reliable? etc...

I know that the CZ75 is the most issued handgun desing in the world, even more than Glock, which is amazing. Ive shot a couple of rounds thru a SP01 Tac, great gun, accurate, fast, VERY balanced, not a bad trigger.

Tomahawk_Ghost
10-28-10, 14:13
If you plan on carrying it good luck finding a holster. Spare parts will be a big concern since Charles Daily has folded.

I think the frames and slides were made by Tanfoglio with assembly and finishing done in Israel.

A friend of mine has a Baby Eagle, shoots OK, gun was heavy, trigger wasn't that great.

If it were me I would save my cash and get a CZ.

jbsmwd
10-28-10, 19:32
If you plan on carrying it good luck finding a holster. Spare parts will be a big concern since Charles Daily has folded.

I think the frames and slides were made by Tanfoglio with assembly and finishing done in Israel.

That I will agree with.

Trigger pull well that is like Ford or Chevy or.....um Mopar. I liked the SA pull light and smooth but the DA pull was heavy. Best fitting gun for my hands I have ever held to date. Had to replace the recoil spring in mine and just called Magnum Research and got the parts. This was done after Charles Daily brought in the line.

It's a good design. It does differ from the CZ-75/85 to the point the most are not shared but they are of the same basic design/concept. If you are getting 9/40 then get a CZ better support/parts. The only problem I had were failure to go int battery with reloads that I got from a freind. Has a tight chamber and before I replaced the recoil springs, it has 2 springs.

I will never sell my IMI Jericho 941 45FS.

badness
10-28-10, 20:09
i've got one in .45acp. It's ok. Nothing special.

For carry = bad (waaaay too freaken heavy and bulky)
For home defense = ok (they are not rated for +P so you will not be able to practice with +P all that much....not that people do that anyways)
For plinking = if you get one in 9mm then the recoil should be VERY managable and the ammo's cheap. The gun vibrates way too much for long shooting sessions when shooting my .45 acp model though. Maybe i have homo hands.

Double action trigger = very heavy. I flinched like a mofo....probably an entire 45 degrees downwards flinch when i tried to shoot the thing in double action for the first time because the trigger was so hard to pull and i was anticipating the BANG from the .45. (first time shooting .45 was with this gun)

Single action trigger = pretty nice. Almost as nice as a sig's single action pull believe it or not.

The grip feels like a thinner beretta grip. Pretty ergonomic.

The polygonal barrel scratches easily. I ran a copper bore brush through mine and i think i've put extremely fine hairline scratches on the inside of the barrel. I don't think its had any affect on accuracy though.

It's sorta a collectors item now that no one imports them to the US. I'm debating whether or not i wanna keep mine. If it wasn't for the collectability value of it (if any), i'd probably sell mine.

bulbvivid
10-28-10, 21:12
I used a Baby Eagle in 9mm (which I still have) when I first got into IDPA. It was the first pistol I bought for myself, before I knew much about them, and I bought it because it felt good in my hands. I shot matches and practiced with it for 14 or so months, and it was a damn good shooting pistol. I started having ejection problems with it, after who knows how many rounds (probably around 3,500) and used that as an excuse to switch to the M&P, mostly for the consistent trigger pull. The trigger of my Baby Eagle settled in nicely, and I got good splits shooting stuff like the Bill drill. It's an accurate pistol as well. I used a holster for a CZ-75.

But, it's also heavy, SA/DA (which isn't the worst, until you get used to a SA or striker-fired pistol) with a relatively heavy trigger pull, and if you shoot with a combat grip, you will have to figure out how to get off of the slide release (a problem that's not exclusive to the Jericho).

If you can find one at a good price and just want to add a good gun that's fun to shoot to the collection, go for it, but there are better options out there, especially if you don't have a large gun budget.

ChicagoTex
10-28-10, 23:20
I know that the CZ75 is the most issued handgun desing in the world, even more than Glock, which is amazing.

Not really, Glock won't license their design for other countries to manufacture like CZ did. It's the primary issue for a bunch of countries that haven't seen combat in 60+ years (with the noteable exception of the Israelis, who you'll notice beefed up the design quite a bit in the Jericho) and just needed something cheap.

Do some searches on this forum, as we've addressed the CZ problems time and again.

While a Jericho is basically functional, aftermarket support is awful (including holsters), parts availability is tricky, and the gun's key functions are way too hard to manipulate IMO.

VaeVictis
10-28-10, 23:47
I just found a full size in .40cal that looked like it sat in a safe most of its life for a good price so I picked it up. This gun by far fits my hands better than any other gun I've held. Like everyone before me already said, the double action sucks but I find the single action to be amazing for a stock trigger. The gun is on the heavy side, haven't weighed it but it feels comparable to my 1911. However, it is very well balanced and doesn't feel very heavy when your shooting, carrying it can be a different story. First time to the range it was having some failure to chamber problems but after I put 100 rounds through it I have'nt had any more problems. Doing some research I found out that the magazine springs from the factory tend to be very stiff and I was using two brand new mags so that may be the problem, I'll have to do more shooting to be certain though. Overall it is a very smooth and enjoyable gun to shoot.

Also, Here's a link where you can find some decent holsters for the Jericho. http://www.zahal.org/groups/jericho-941-baby-eagle?gclid=CL6737ekxKQCFeI55wod0ExoGA

faster200
10-29-10, 08:29
I'll chime in on this one.

My father has had a poly framed 9mm 941 (or a Baby Eagle Eagle) for 15 years or so. I'll agree with other folks here, it feels great in your hand. Better than almost any other gun I own or have shot. However, the double action pull stacks quite a bit for my taste, and the trigger slap when it resets in awful. It has been boringly reliable. I can't think of the last time it had any failures, and we like to shoot about 100-300 rounds twice a month together. I understand that a good gunsmith with the right tools and familiar with the CZ platform can fix this, but there seem to be none in my area. However, he loves that thing.

Blue8282
10-31-10, 13:17
I have a Baby DE .40 subcompact poly frame. It's definitely heavy for me (but I'm kinda small), the trigger is smooth and easy. I don't care for the recoil or vibration I get from it but it's the most accurate larger caliber I shoot with. After a while my hands get that vibrating tingle and it's very difficult to shoot anything else afterward. My Baby DE is just for home defense since there is no way in hell I could carry this and conceal it properly.

ShipWreck
10-31-10, 14:00
I really have wanted a chromed one for years. They are cheap now sincve most places are closing them out with Charles Daly shutting the doors.

I'd be worried about service for now - but if anyone starts importing these suckers again, I plan to get one

Siller.45
11-01-10, 11:42
Well i had the opportunity to shoot one this weekend, i shot the full size, railed version, matte black.

First of all, COOL LOOKING GUN!, the rails make it look even better than its predecesor, only by looking at the gun you can tell its a solid, well made, well machined piece. But once you grab it you just fall in love with it, though it's heavy its very balanced and extremly ergonomic, at least for me when i pointed the Jericho, it was like pointing my finger (something that not a lot of handguns do in my hand), all in all, a very well made handgun.

What i didn't like. First off, the trigger in DA, not as bad as a 92FS trigger, but close enough. In Single Action, it was quite good, much better than the 92's, it felt almost like a sig in SA. The finish looks good, but it was worn out, the owner told me its normal in those guns, because the finish on them sucks (Another explanation of why theyre so cheap), the sights are ok, nothing special and capacity is like any other wondernine, 16 + 1 in this one.

All in all, a great looking handgun, very..."tactical", well made, quite tight (much more than the cz's), and i think the gun it self has a great fundation to be improved on, i mean, high quality alloy frame like a sig, deckocker in the frame like cz's, improved trigger (with a prettier shape too), good checkering, good finish and a good set of meprolight sights (israeli made i think), and you got yourself a handgun that would compete with sig and hk any day.

Forgot to say, its accurate as hell, has very little recoil, its great for double taps and fast shooting, i dindt experience malfuntctions, but the owner told me that just like cz's they have a little break in period but after that theyre reliable just like any other modern semiauto. loved it.

ChicagoTex
11-01-10, 12:37
you got yourself a handgun that would compete with sig and hk any day.

Not to come off as a douche, but as all of these guns are decades old, the reality that Jerichos are restricted almost exclusively to amateurs and Israelis while SIGs, H&Ks, and Glocks thrive amongst the international elite is proof this statement is false on it's face.

Glad you liked it, but don't go tricking yourself into thinking it's more than it is - having superior fit and finish to a CZ 75 is hardly an accomplishment.

Siller.45
11-01-10, 12:58
Not to come off as a douche, but as all of these guns are decades old, the reality that Jerichos are restricted almost exclusively to amateurs and Israelis while SIGs, H&Ks, and Glocks thrive amongst the international elite is proof this statement is false on it's face.

Glad you liked it, but don't go tricking yourself into thinking it's more than it is - having superior fit and finish to a CZ 75 is hardly an accomplishment.

I'm just saying, that it is a good platform to IMPROVE on, i mean that they can really make it better and start selling it. Sigs and hk's are great, love them too, and youre totally right, actually israelies moved from the BHP, to the Jericho, to the sig and ended up with Glock, and Why glock? they are very good guns at a low price, although i feel that hk's and sigs are higher in quality.

legumeofterror
11-01-10, 20:28

Spoken like someone whos never used a CZ handgun.

DasBulk
11-01-10, 21:09
I'm just saying, that it is a good platform to IMPROVE on, i mean that they can really make it better and start selling it. Sigs and hk's are great, love them too, and youre totally right, actually israelies moved from the BHP, to the Jericho, to the sig and ended up with Glock, and Why glock? they are very good guns at a low price, although i feel that hk's and sigs are higher in quality.

I have both a Glock and HK and I wouldn't agree with that last bit. They are about the same in my experience. The SIGs in my family and friends possession are better, but marginally. Mostly in the trigger department.
Where they don't stack up is in reliability. My Glock has had one malf in a whats close to 1500 rounds now and that was JUST this weekend. My USP has never once had a malf. My brothers Sig, and friends Sig have both experienced failures each time we took them out. While I cant speak to their cleaning habits, they both are generally clean and lubed well each trip. My Glock and HK are usually not. For what its worth.

One of these days, Im going to get my dick mitts on a CZ P06...

The one CZ75 I shot was nice. Pretty smooth gun.

ChicagoTex
11-01-10, 22:25
Spoken like someone whos never used a CZ handgun.

If the 75b I owned for 5 years doesn't count, then yeah.

ChicagoTex
11-01-10, 22:30
Sig have both experienced failures each time we took them out.

And have you done anything to resolve the issue? Contacted SIG? Maybe changed some springs?

What kind of ammo are you using when these malfunctions occur, what's your SIG chamebered in, what are the nature of the malfunctions?

DasBulk
11-02-10, 08:35
And have you done anything to resolve the issue? Contacted SIG? Maybe changed some springs?

What kind of ammo are you using when these malfunctions occur, what's your SIG chamebered in, what are the nature of the malfunctions?

Not my place, they are not my Sigs.. They are happy with their Sigs and their malfs, so game on for them. Generally its failures to eject brass.
Shooting the same WWB and Federal FMJs that my Glock and USP chow down without fail. Edit for honesty: My glock had its first this past weekend.
One is my brothers duty weapon in .40 and the other is my friends home gun in 9mm.
But neither one of them are pretty diligent with their cleaning habits and my friend isn't the best with his fundamentals so there could be other factors playing into his. But at the same time, he has no problem rolling off magazines in my guns without a hitch.
We have no idea why my brothers duty gun chokes from time to time, but he tells me thats par for the course at his department and they are pretty complacent about the issue. Which doesn't make me feel to great to be honest.